• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for low-efficiency headphones (like HiFiMAN Susvara)

Roland68

Major Contributor
Perhaps an unusual concern, but I'm looking for headphones with low efficiency, such as HiFiMAN Susvara, just not that expensive.
I would prefer a linear and balanced sound.
Does anyone have a tip?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps an unusual concern, but I'm looking for headphones with low efficiency, such as HiFiMAN Susvara, just not that expensive.
Does anyone have a tip?

Hifiman HE6SE/ SE V2- both going for reduced prices on Hifiman store, especially open box

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have a tip?
Got to ask though, why the interest in low efficiency?

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
Got to ask though, why the interest in low efficiency?
I would like to have good and inefficient headphones so that I can listen to headphone amplifiers under real high loads.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to have good and inefficient headphones so that I can listen to headphone amplifiers under real high loads.
1637404104956.png

The beyer dt880 600 ohm are the highest (lowest? You get the point) "resonable" price phone tested on here but the Abyss/ Susvara /he6 group are an order of sensitivity lower. The dt880 can often be had for £150 or less from amazon warehouse.

Edit I'll let you judge if they are good! https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...80-600-ohm-review-headphone.24694/post-834117

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The beyer dt880 600 ohm are the highest (lowest? You get the point) "resonable" price phone tested on here but the Abyss/ Susvara /he6 group are an order of sensitivity lower. The dt880 can often be had for £150 or less from amazon warehouse.

The 600 ohm Beyers do need a decently strong amp to get loud, but still tend to sound good on weak amps. Clean and clear, but just not very loud.

If you want something to really test the limits of an amp, the HE-6 one of the best. They need even more voltage and way more current since they have ~1/12 the impedance. Huge sale right now too, with a special link.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The 600 ohm Beyers do need a decently strong amp to get loud, but still tend to sound good on weak amps. Clean and clear, but just not very loud.

If you want something to really test the limits of an amp, the HE-6 one of the best. They need even more voltage and way more current since they have ~1/12 the impedance. Huge sale right now too, with a special link.

Would be what i would go for, and did. And massively less than the Susvara. Any form of HE6 at $500-$700 is great value providing you have the amp already.

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
Thank you very much for all the answers.
The HE6 / SE / SE V2 is currently too expensive for me. The DT 800 with 600 ohms doesn't really load the amplifier.
I was hoping that there would be headphones with low impedance and low efficiency up to € 300.00.
If anyone still has an idea, I would be happy.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for all the answers.
The HS6 / SE / SE V2 is currently too expensive for me. The DT 800 with 600 ohms doesn't really load the amplifier.
I was hoping that there would be headphones with low impedance and low efficiency up to € 300.00.
If anyone still has an idea, I would be happy.
The Dan Clark Aeon X (open or closed ) I believe are reduced on Drop to 350 I think .they are quite challenging . The sibling Aeon RT Closed reviewed on here

OP
R

Roland68

Major Contributor
The Dan Clark Aeon X (open or closed ) I believe are reduced on Drop to 350 I think .they are quite challenging . The sibling Aeon RT Closed reviewed on here
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the Dan Clark.

Top Bottom