• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiliac Steve Guttenberg reviews the Genelec G Three...

litemotiv

>>"Reminds me of what Paul Newman said when asked during an interview whether he was tempted to stray outside his marriage to Natalie Wood, and said now why would I grab a hamburger out when I have steak at home."<<

Actually, the "steak" Paul Newman had at home was Joanne Woodward. Natalie Wood was the "steak" of Robert Wagner. (As creepy as it is to analogize women with cuts of meat.) But we know what you meant! :)

Reminds me of this old Linn advert:

d6d94affbaa640a989cebf964c8a7600.jpg

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want an objectively (= measurement) end game system it is not easy at all to "dial in" by just taking some good drivers and playing with crossover frequencies like some do, as this is a full loudspeaker design in the end where you need alot of anechoic measurements and loudspeaker design understanding to get directivites and crossover points and slopes right.
Yes, all true. It was a fun system not taken too too seriously like we do here now. There was also the issue that the free software we have access to today simply was not available. So I put together the thickest heaviest materials that I could muster and made ~4 foot tall transmission line cabinets with KEF 107.2 tweeters and Altec horns. It sounded good I think. Probably had issues but I liked it. It was a fun stereo.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JRS

Major Contributor
>>"Reminds me of what Paul Newman said when asked during an interview whether he was tempted to stray outside his marriage to Natalie Wood, and said now why would I grab a hamburger out when I have steak at home."<<

Actually, the "steak" Paul Newman had at home was Joanne Woodward. Natalie Wood was the "steak" of Robert Wagner. (As creepy as it is to analogize women with cuts of meat.) But we know what you meant! :)
Thanks, I wasn't sure and was too lazy to look it up. I stand corrected.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lightning does indeed strike twice. First it was the Mola Mola dac. Now, it's the Genelec.

I believe that Amir has secretly taken up residence in Mr. Guttenberg's Amygdala, with or without his knowledege, and is now firmly in control. :eek:
Maybe there's some sort of device attached to the base of Guttenberg's spinal cord with a link to an IPad in Amir's office. Now if we could just get one for Darko!

Last edited:

Triliza

Forum Donor
Come on fellows, stop making fun of him. You maybe don't realize it yet, but he can do this forum's members a great service. Imagine you buy some audio gear and at some point Amir measure it and it turn out it's a bummer. Your day is ruined, but don't despair yet, there is still hope. If the lady luck smiles at you, Steve may have reviewed that gear. Just watch his review, let him do his fortune-telling on it, and there you go, life is good again. The man can make plain dirt look like glitter.

ASR should give him (and some others) the badge of <insert a catchy acronym for it>.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Steve is a cheerful fellow, in fact perhaps too cheerful; he seems to like almost anything and everything. You really want a more skeptical curmudgeon as an audio reviewer.
There r other cheerful reviewers, seemingly recommending anything they review - cheapaudio, z-review, etc. Are they really tone deaf or in cahoots with manufacturers?

Zensō

Major Contributor
There r other cheerful reviewers, seemingly recommending anything they review - cheapaudio, z-review, etc. Are they really tone deaf or in cahoots with manufacturers?
It’s in their best interests to keep manufacturers happy. They need a constant flow of incoming devices to review to keep their audiences engaged. Happy manufacturers = more devices loaned or donated for review = engaged viewers = more click revenue.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The cheerfulness itself also gives more more clicks.

But it might not be so calculated. The subjective experience is very much linked to emotions, and if you're happy-go-lucky type of person who lets the subjective be the base of your conclusions, everything and anything will sound great.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I wish I was as happy as he is.
The cheerfulness itself also gives more more clicks.

But it might not be so calculated. The subjective experience is very much linked to emotions, and if you're happy-go-lucky type of person who lets the subjective be the base of your conclusions, everything and anything will sound great.

TheWalkman

Last edited:
Top Bottom