• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha WXA-50 alternatives

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love what Yamaha is offering in their WXA-50: DAC+amp (+optional streamer) in a small package but I do need USB input so that the device can act as an external sound card to PC.

I like the balanced quality of DAC and AMP as measured by Amir. Is there a device out there with similar specs + USB input up to a 1000 USD?
there r plenty of integrated amps to choose from. Problem is - noone measured them.
Will Loxjie A30 work better for u? No streaming, has USB/OPT/COAX/AUX inputs, cheap.
You can do really cheap streaming with Raspberry PIE devices.

Offler

I love what Yamaha is offering in their WXA-50: DAC+amp (+optional streamer) in a small package but I do need USB input so that the device can act as an external sound card to PC.

I like the balanced quality of DAC and AMP as measured by Amir. Is there a device out there with similar specs + USB input up to a 1000 USD?
I was deciding between WXA-50 and NAD d3020v2. Went for the latter because it does not have too many smart features, while I use Toslink instead.

gvl

Major Contributor
I do need USB input so that the device can act as an external sound card to PC.

Before you spend money confirm your PC doesn’t have a SPDIF output already. Combo 3.5mm/optical outputs are not unheard of on laptops, and desktop mobos often have SPDIF headers all you need is a $10 Coax to Toslink converter in the latter case and a bracket with Coax RCA you connect to that header.

OP
T
It looks like I will end up with SMSL-SU8 + some smallish hypex based amp. It seems there is no all in one solution under 1000 USD

gvl

Major Contributor
It looks like I will end up with SMSL-SU8 + some smallish hypex based amp. It seems there is no all in one solution under 1000 USD

They certainly exist, but likely perform not as good as a Hypex-based solution combined with a good stand-alone DAC. The first 4 should perform similarly to the WXA-50 or better, but there is no hard data here to back this up.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I replaced my wxa50. Didn't like musiccast. Would often skip during songs (qobuz and usb). DSD playback was buggy. And wasn't really strong enough for my wharfedale Evo 4.2.

I would get the new bluesound powernode as alternative to the wxa50.

OP
T
I replaced my wxa50. Didn't like musiccast. Would often skip during songs (qobuz and usb). DSD playback was buggy. And wasn't really strong enough for my wharfedale Evo 4.2.

I would get the new bluesound powernode as alternative to the wxa50.
Unfortunately bluesound measures badly both as a DAC and amplifier

DR3

The WXA is unobtainium right now, but there are still RN602 in stock locally at good prices. I already have RN303 in the bedroom and thinking of getting RN803 for another system, but I read that it only sounds good in Pure Direct mode (no DSP) which levels the playing field and makes the 602 just as attractive. I don't need the extra power of the 803.

My only concern with the 602 is the older CPU (ostensibly). Is the 402/602 engine noticeably slower than the 303/803 that I am used to?

My only concern with the 803 (extra cost is not a factor for me if it's better) will be remorse if they come out with an 304/804 shortly after I buy it!

Last edited:

DR3

Well there are newer Yamahas with Sabre 32 DAC's which have UA 2.0 USB input like A-U671 compact class D but it performs pore and Amir didn't menage to get USB working. Or A-S801 rather bulky class AB same output stage and pure direct (and phono stage) as R-N803. Flows of both are; bad remote, no streaming no WiFi or network, no display (just LED's). All together not worth it at least not regarding me as I think they older mid ground ones are much better value like R-N402D which I own.
Do you find the 402 slow at all? I read some 602 reviews stating that browsing Internet Radio could use more CPU power. I have 303 and it used to be very slow to play a radio station a long time ago, but firmware update seems to have fixed that. Thinking of getting a second unit, 602 or 803...

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Do you find the 402 slow at all? I read some 602 reviews stating that browsing Internet Radio could use more CPU power. I have 303 and it used to be very slow to play a radio station a long time ago, but firmware update seems to have fixed that. Thinking of getting a second unit, 602 or 803...
Well it ain't fast but not exactly sluggish either, I believe SoM for streaming is quite old on automative embedded level but it works. There is a more aggressive mode but it's recommended only for cable connection and router also plays a large roll. IP interface also works but it's really basic.
I don't know which radio you used in the first place, they changed interface and provider at some point.
I like Spotify approach to direct MusicCast to the Spotify app and do all from there.

cybernaut667

The thing is that you do not actually need it to be a usb DAC since you can play everything on your home network . FLAC also.

orientpear

I'm an A-S801 owner- I use it with a Bluesound Node. The Node uses the USB input. My TV uses the SPDIF input. I haven't used the other inputs.

The remote control is...ok? It's not terrible, imo. I think the A-S801 is a great balance of features and power for the price.

I also bought a used WXA-50 for use in a small office. I haven't set it up yet- haven't even decided on speakers yet.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm an A-S801 owner- I use it with a Bluesound Node. The Node uses the USB input. My TV uses the SPDIF input. I haven't used the other inputs.

The remote control is...ok? It's not terrible, imo. I think the A-S801 is a great balance of features and power for the price.
Agreed, i had the 701, it was really nice.
The one feature i wish they had moved to the A-S 1200 is the variable loudness. It's a mystery to me why they didn't.

Top Bottom