• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What’s funny is that the Benchmark stuff is so inexpensive compared to the super high end stuff that it flies under the radar; the audiophile jewelry snobs would never consider it, just based on price.

Way back in 2003/4 when computer audio was just starting to take off and external DACs were starting to emerge (still designed to be used with CDP transports) with people using internal sound cards like the E-MU0404 (PCI not the later USB external box) to send a digital output to an external DAC the Benchmark DAC1 was one of the most popular choices. The Bel Canto DAC2 was another popular DAC back then. As external DACs became more popular they were sort of "forgotten" since Benchmark never really advertised to this segment. Years later they would regain popularility when the the DAC lost its rack mount ears and gained a USB input.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The chair is bothering me...

upload_2018-4-30_14-29-20.png

Does it have a story?

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
The chair is bothering me...

View attachment 12432

Does it have a story?
I moved the giant cinematech sofa downstairs. That was just a place holder until my stressless chair and ottoman arrived.

I took a bunch of before and after measurements with the sofa. There were a lot of reflections off the sofa. The step response is smoother with just a chair.

etc6849

Yes. Klipsch Palladium's P-39f and P-27C. However, the speakers really are the last thing I should have upgraded instead of the first. I am sure I'd be using my old speakers if I would have actively tri-amped them, had room treatments, and upgraded my amps to AHB2's sooner. It is simply amazing the performance improvement you can get by removing passive crossovers, time aligning all drivers to the main listening position and using FIR filters. Also only having a single D/A conversion, a well implemented digital volume control, lots of bass traps and absorption helps too as does multiple subwoofers. I'd go as far to say all these things when combined with proper setup matter many times more than the speakers.

I would put the sound I am getting above even the three +$500k systems I have heard. I have never experienced the level of clarity and realism my setup can give on any other system. You are literally transported if you find a great recording (recorded digitally with no compression, etc...) like some of the AIX Records surround demo tracks.

Theater front new(1).jpg

Theater Back.jpg

Nice rack! But what speakers are you using?

etc6849

Very very nice. I wish I could hear your setup!

Congratulations with your amazing stack of Benchmark products, Dallasjustice!
I am also amazed by Benchmark's products. My system here:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Congratulations with your amazing stack of Benchmark products, Dallasjustice!
I am also amazed by Benchmark's products. My system here:
Very very nice system, and the decor is very tasteful. I'm wondering about the two miniature tall house looking things on the floor just by the right side of the TV stand. Are they simply decorative or are they functional in some way?

Yes. Klipsch Palladium's P-39f and P-27C.
Great kit! I'm sure with those Palladiums all around the HT really rocks with appropriat action-adventure films! Mark at AIX also does some amazing multch recording that should sound awesome there. I'm very jealous. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm wondering about the two miniature tall house looking things on the floor just by the right side of the TV stand. Are they simply decorative or are they functional in some way?

They are Audiophile Acoustic Wave-Absorbent Tiny Houses with matching Balanced-Synergy Pepper and Salt Grinders on the other side to add a little spice to the setup. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They are Audiophile Acoustic Wave-Absorbent Tiny Houses with matching Balanced-Synergy Pepper and Salt Grinders on the other side to add a little spice to the setup. :)
Oh the veils lifted. ;)
Thanks for the tip.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Seriously, they do soften the entire room. I like them. :)

They do resemble those dilators in one of your recent posts but they also look similar to bowling pins. As for the little houses(putz), maybe RebbiP can chime-in. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They do resemble those dilators in one of your recent posts but they also look similar to bowling pins. As for the little houses(putz), maybe RebbiP can chime-in. ;)
Not to worry, restorer-john been breathing too much rosin solder fumes and washing it down with kangaroo juice again. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...and washing it down with kangaroo juice again...

It's wallabies here. Down the side of the house every night outside our window. They sound like a clumsy burglar crashing through the bush. We love them, especially the babies, even when they eat our plants.

wallaby02 - Copy.jpeg

This one is not long out of Mum's pouch. They used to eat the pot plants..

wallaby01 - Copy.jpeg

tobes

Got my Benchmark HPA4 Pre/headphone amp about a week ago.
I just love this thing! Most pristine and detailed sound I've experienced in my system.
hpa4_ahb2.jpg

hpa4_system.jpg

tobes

Those Benchmark pieces are so tiny!

Yes they are.
Here is the AHB2 sitting on top of a DIY Pass F6 (custom case) - the latter was Class A 25wpc/8ohms and the AHB2 is 100wpc/8ohms.
F6 and ahb2.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How's this for scale?
It's funny, with it's conventional look, heat sinks on each side and all. The Benchmark doesn't give the impression of it's miniature size to those of us familiar with Hi Fi. But when they're given a presentation such as we've seen here a couple times it really drives home the difference.

Top Bottom