• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Asimov Foundation

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
An interesting critique of "Foundation". I think the reviewer hit the mark on this.
Yes, best review of the problems of the show I've seen.
The 7th episode was maybe the best for basic entertainment, but it is based upon all these tired sci-fi cinema tropes none of which really apply to Asimov's vision in his Foundation books.

It might be worth remembering that Asimov believed in his judgement that humanity must one day "escape" earth for long term survival. Yet human life is so fragile in so many ways once it leaves its nurturing homeworld.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a pretty good critique of why this should not be an Asimov branded series. But really misses the mark when it comes to explain why this series is so bland and mostly boring: it’s just really slow and the plot is mostly driven by emotions instead of good story telling.

The last episode was probably the best yet (which isn’t saying very much). At least some stuff happens, but it’s also full of familiar space opera tropes and gets further and further from the original. Which would be fine if it were actually good..

Edit: very well worded what is wrong with many of the current TV shows and movies:

Last edited:

litemotiv

I'm a fan of the Critical Drinker videos, he's often spot on about what is wrong with modern movies and series, in a very funny and 'Red Letter' kind of way.

Recently i also saw a few really nice interviews about the subject with Chris Gore, founder of Film Threat magazine and a big sci-fi fan himself. Recommended to watch if you have a bit of time to spare:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yet human life is so fragile in so many ways once it leaves its nurturing homeworld.
I'm fragile when I leave my bunker. I'm always relieved when I manage to slink back to it.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been many decades since I read Asimov's Foundation novels; actually as I recall I only every read the first three, Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation. That's so long ago that I won't really be able to evaluate the Apple's Foundation series in light of either its literal adherence to the novels or its adherence to Asimov's ethos in general.

I've see only the first two episodes as of yesterday evening. I'm reserving judgement of the series as TV in its own right. Right now I can only say the Lee Pace is really annoying as Brother Day, (the emperor), though he did work out well in the series, Halt and Catch Fire.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Expanse is coming to an end this coming season. They say they are taking a break but I doubt it'll be back.
Not right away, but it will be revived after a while. The portal provides for unlimited stories.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And thus unlimited possibilities for crappy spinoff series wanting to monetize on the original. It’s just a matter of time.
Did your breakfast get burnt this morning? How do you know it will be a spin off, or if it will be crappy?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did your breakfast get burnt this morning? How do you know it will be a spin off, or if it will be crappy?
I don’t, nor did I say I did. I said there are possibilities. Also, History is on my side. Sequels are rarely as good as the original, spin-offs even less so. Just watch the upcoming LOTR and GOT spin-offs crash and burn (mark my words: they will burn), or the last Star Trek series.. Dr Who didn’t even need a spin-off…

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t, nor did I say I did. I said there are possibilities. Also, History is on my side. Sequels are rarely as good as the original, spin-offs even less so. Just watch the upcoming LOTR and GOT spin-offs crash and burn (mark my words: they will burn), or the last Star Trek series.. Dr Who didn’t even need a spin-off…
Game of thrones crashed on the final episode. Glad to hear your breakfast was OK.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Game of thrones crashed on the final episode. Glad to hear your breakfast was OK.

No, GOT crashed on at least the last 3 season! Why? Because it became a spin-off parody off itself as soon as the source material dried up. Damn George RR, finish the book already :facepalm:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, GOT crashed on at least the last 3 season! Why? Because it became a spin-off parody off itself as soon as the source material dried up. Damn George RR, finish the book already :facepalm:
I don't make a habit of remembering the details. Besides, I need to let the dragon out to find dinner.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One problem for The Expanse is that the whole story jumps forward by several decades, so all the cast would be aged. That can be done quite easily these days but it's a bit of a pain for production and the actors if it is necessary for the main cast for every appearance. Unlike Foundation the Expanse follows the books pretty closely and be is faithful to the authors story. The irony is that the title was made for the TV show, whereas the Foundation show follows the same model as The Man in the High Castle by copying the title of a famous book and then pretty much ignoring the book.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

My issues with "Foundation" is not adherence to the original. it is about the story being told and how it is told. That a cinematographic production deviates from a book is almost a given. Those come with any translation: There will be deviations, and losses and if well crafted, gains.
So far in Foundation, the slow, plodding pace is purposeful and IMO a tell for money grab: Let's make it slow and let's make it last; from the outset they talk about 8 seasons, very similar in length to the standard bearer of commercial success GOT. Thus, those different arcs, in different time frames and their slow (wished for by the audience?) eventual convergence.
FWIW, the last episode was OK, a step in the right direction. I hope they follow its lead.

At this point in time, the best Sci-Fi show/series on TV remains The Expanse and that, by several light-years... :)

Peace.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Now we can argue over what is "classic" scifi. :D For me, it needs to transcend eras, and that series isn't yet old enough to do so.

Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, van Vogt, Brown, Pohl, Kornbluth... that's more of my idea.
I only ask since you seem to be strict enough, what did you think about this:
1636202843978.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I only ask since you seem to be strict enough, what did you think about this:
View attachment 163597
Never saw it. Is it a book adaptation?

The story that would translate superbly to the screen, IMO, is The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag.

Top Bottom