• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This is not a review of a vintage Sony CDP-102 CD player

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
With a nod to the metaphysics of René Magritte and The Treachery of Images...

ma-150089-WEB.jpg

This isn't a review, but it might, ultimately lead to one. :)

Back in April, there was one of those analog vs. digital (or vinyl vs. polycarbonate, more to the point) reproduction threads that had a countermelody ;) of sorts discussing just why it is that the first generation of commercial CD players at the time sounded so darned nasty. There were comments suggesting that the problem wasn't the players but rather the poor digital transfers/masters made from existing recordings.
So... back in April... early April :facepalm:... recognizing a testable hypothesis when I saw one, I expressed an intention to pull out a very old CD player indeed (although, sadly, not one of the very first models) and spin some more modern CDs on it.

To wit, on 6 Apr. I "said".
Minor update -- I've randomly* selected one of the old Sonys (Sonae? ) to bring upstairs. It is warming up (literally) in the hifi/junk room even now.
Further details as events warrant -- I shall start a new thread.

A few weeks ago, I actually managed to hook up the pseudo-randomly-selected old CDP (a Sony CDP-102, one of two that slumbers on a shelf in the depths of the basement) and fired it up. Well... of course... The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to crank up the CDP-102 which is labled "CD 2"... and, of course, it didn't really want to work.
To make a long story short, it wouldn't (won't) read a disc unless I -- the first time it's turned on from a cold start -- give the laser assembly a little nudge on its rails. Thereafter, it is happy as a pig in sheet* to function as it should, even being happy to read burned CD-Rs. :)
(Perhaps the rails need a wee touch o'lubricant at this late date?)

Armed with this repair tactic, I've finally given the CDP-102 a listen. Not a careful listen; not yet -- but a listen.
It sounds quite nice, actually. Admirably rich and sonorous, with none of the, umm, digital glare :cool::facepalm:or harshness I remember and that I associate(d) with the early (and distressingly expensive) players I remember listening to at Soundscape, in Baltimore, way back ca. 1984 or 85.

More to come on this topic (I hope!). Meanwhile, here's a piccie or two of das Ding an sich, doin' what Sony intended it to -- well, sort of.

DSC_0803 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
sans flash

DSC_0802 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
avec flash
To paraphrase Bart Simpson: Depth of field is for chumps. :cool:

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

ma-150089-WEB.jpg

Back in April, there was one of those analog vs. digital (or vinyl vs. polycarbonate, more to the point) reproduction threads that had a countermelody ;) of sorts discussing just why it is that the first generation of commercial CD players at the time sounded so darned nasty. There were comments suggesting that the problem wasn't the players but rather the poor digital transfers/masters made from existing recordings.
So... back in April... early April :facepalm:... recognizing a testable hypothesis when I saw one, I expressed an intention to pull out a very old CD player indeed (although, sadly, not one of the very first models) and spin some more modern CDs on it.

To wit, on 6 Apr. I "said".

A few weeks ago, I actually managed to hook up the pseudo-randomly-selected old CDP (a Sony CDP-102, one of two that slumbers on a shelf in the depths of the basement) and fired it up. Well... of course... The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to crank up the CDP-102 which is labled "CD 2"... and, of course, it didn't really want to work.
To make a long story short, it wouldn't (won't) read a disc unless I -- the first time it's turned on from a cold start -- give the laser assembly a little nudge on its rails. Thereafter, it is happy as a pig in sheet* to function as it should, even being happy to read burned CD-Rs. :)
(Perhaps the rails need a wee touch o'lubricant at this late date?)

Armed with this repair tactic, I've finally given the CDP-102 a listen. Not a careful listen; not yet -- but a listen.
It sounds quite nice, actually. Admirably rich and sonorous, with none of the, umm, digital glare :cool::facepalm:or harshness I remember and that I associate(d) with the early (and distressingly expensive) players I remember listening to at Soundscape, in Baltimore, way back ca. 1984 or 85.

More to come on this topic (I hope!). Meanwhile, here's a piccie or two of das Ding an sich, doin' what Sony intended it to -- well, sort of.

DSC_0803 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
sans flash

DSC_0802 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
avec flash
To paraphrase Bart Simpson: Depth of field is for chumps. :cool:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Remember: DeOxit is your friend.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Sure, but... I think of DeOxit as an analog friend. ;)

I was leaning more towards a soupçon of white lithium grease, cautiously applied to the rails -- but I am open to suggestion.
I was thinking of you getting that mechanism to move.

Last edited:
OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I was think of you getting that mechanism to move.
I did infer that, yes (in all seriousness) -- maybe Faderlube (or whatever CAIG calls it now) might be a better choice.
That said, DeOxit might do a nice job of cleaning the rails, now that you mention it.
They don't look gummed up, and the fricking laser laser moves smoothly when slid-by-finger. :)

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

ma-150089-WEB.jpg

Regarding the original thread

Why do records sound so much better than digital?​

Too late for me to enter that discussion, but:

No, they do not!

If I still had my CDP-102 and it worked (it didn't, unfortunately) I would be putting on the rose colored glasses (is there such a thing as rose colored headphones) and wallowing in the past. I'm not convinced it would compare favorably to a modern DAC.

kchap

Forum Donor

No, they do not!

If I still had my CDP-102 and it worked (it didn't, unfortunately) I would be putting on the rose colored glasses (is there such a thing as rose colored headphones) and wallowing in the past. I'm not convinced it would compare favorably to a modern DAC.
Damn, a minor correction. I had a CDP-101. Oh well, skulk back to ivory tower.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No, they do not!

I'm not convinced it must sound different...in a proper comparison.

DanielT

Major Contributor

No, they do not!

Perhaps a test between two old CD players that have digital output. Buy duplicates, identical masters, CDs.

One CD player directly into an input on the amplifier. The second CD player outputs the signal to a modern high-performance DAC then into another input in the amplifier. Important with the same signal strength. Switch back and forth. Easy to like blindly.:)

I did so with a CD player vs a DVD. Result. I could not hear a shit difference. Absolute zero, zipp, nada difference.

kchap

Forum Donor
Perhaps a test between two old CD players that have digital output. Buy duplicates, identical masters, CDs.

One CD player directly into an input on the amplifier. The second CD player outputs the signal to a modern high-performance DAC then into another input in the amplifier. Important with the same signal strength. Switch back and forth. Easy to like blindly.:)

I did so with a CD player vs a DVD. Result. I could not hear a shit difference. Absolute zero, zipp, nada difference.

I expected that but I do not want admit I've wasted my money. I do remember there was a tiny bit off hiss, more noticeable with headphones. It could have been, the CD player, the preamp or the poweramps. I do think noise floors have improved for DACs and amps to point where noise is inaudible.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I expected that but I do not want admit I've wasted my money. I do remember there was a tiny bit off hiss, more noticeable with headphones. It could have been, the CD player, the preamp or the poweramps. I do think noise floors have improved for DACs and amps to point where noise is inaudible.
My guess, that it's a waste of money and time.At least in the way I described (a model cd player vs the same model plus together with the external DAC)
But sometimes curiosity takes over.:)

Edit:
I may be wrong about that assumption.
Now I became curious so I say: try it :)

Last edited:

Zapper

The CDP-102 was my first CD player, bought early in 1985. It had the first commercial oversampling (2x) 16 bit DAC. Perhaps it is my lack of critical listening skills, but I'm not convinced that DACs sound remarkably better now. If they do, I can't hear it any more.

Top Bottom