• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wife finds theatre too loud. Bumming me out! How can I make it 5db quieter for only her?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ety.PNG

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You could look for or make your own version of Serious Listeners once championed by Sam Tellig at Stereophile. A leather flap extended the size of your natural outer ear for more sensitive hearing. I don't see hearing plugs for the wife being an acceptable solution. So turn it down to her satisfaction and augment your hearing by 5 db. That or do something like this:
proxy-image

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Your AVR should have a "night mode" or DRC (dynamic range compression) mode. That allows you to use a lower volume and still clearly hear the dialog. You can turn that off and listen louder when you're watching/listening alone... ;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your AVR should have a "night mode" or DRC (dynamic range compression) mode. That allows you to use a lower volume and still clearly hear the dialog. You can turn that off and listen louder when you're watching/listening alone... ;)

Over my dead body. What a ridiculous solution how dare you! Right in this forum?

You should be ASHAMED MISTER.

Last edited:

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not one for romance?:)

If you want to listen loud with the wife in the room, something needs to give, and if you want to still listen loud....I guess romance it is.

I would just turn mine down. I do this for my wife and I. I like movies loud but she doesn't, so down it goes.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks all!! Keep these great ideas coming. The head cone is genius
Your options are slim to none. Newsflash: Slim left town!
Seems like "his and her" headphones would look dufus!
How about using a recliner on your side that has built-in (or DIY? BT?) speakers?
Then, there are true audiophiles who may consider moving out and p'haps even a divorce.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Might be a long shot but what kind of speakers are you using, what is the listening distance, and what is the MV level you are listening at? The reason I ask is that I find that women seem to be far more sensitive to distortion and compression than men(maybe a stretch?). When I switched to higher sensitivity, higher power handling horn loaded compression driver speakers with pro audio woofers, we were both able to very comfortably watch movies at a much higher MV level than with typical low sensitivity hi-fi speakers, which tend to distort and compress FAR sooner than most folks realize, especially once 3-6+ dB of eq have been applied from room correction.

I've listened to systems powered by an AVR with 86 dB bookshelf speakers that would run you out of the room by -15 or -10 MV, and have listened comfortably with ZERO excess loudness at -5 to 0 MV in a full JTR home theater. By the same token, an old 5 watt am radio will run you out of the room covering your ears when you turn it up full blast even though actual SPL is rather low.

Another option might be to install tactile transducers on your seating such as Crowsons….these can add tremendous tactile feedback on the low end, and will literally feel and sound like you have massive subs shaking the room without the high level SPL required to do so.

OP
S

Snoochers

Might be a long shot but what kind of speakers are you using, what is the listening distance, and what is the MV level you are listening at? The reason I ask is that I find that women seem to be far more sensitive to distortion and compression than men(maybe a stretch?). When I switched to higher sensitivity, higher power handling horn loaded compression driver speakers with pro audio woofers, we were both able to very comfortably watch movies at a much higher MV level than with typical low sensitivity hi-fi speakers, which tend to distort and compress FAR sooner than most folks realize, especially once 3-6+ dB of eq have been applied from room correction.

I've listened to systems powered by an AVR with 86 dB bookshelf speakers that would run you out of the room by -15 or -10 MV, and have listened comfortably with ZERO excess loudness at -5 to 0 MV in a full JTR home theater. By the same token, an old 5 watt am radio will run you out of the room covering your ears when you turn it up full blast even though actual SPL is rather low.

Another option might be to install tactile transducers on your seating such as Crowsons….these can add tremendous tactile feedback on the low end, and will literally feel and sound like you have massive subs shaking the room without the high level SPL required to do so.
Thanks for this. The LCR are KEF R7s with an anthem receiver so i wouldn’t think this is the problem, but interesting idea

Daverz

Major Contributor
I have a home theatre and wife and I constantly fight on sound level. I spent a lot of time and money in there and I really want to feel it. I should add that I actually don’t want to listen to it super loud or anything. I’m probably below average even!

5db is making all the difference. It’s perfect for her but too quiet for me, and 5db more is perfect for me but too loud for her.

How can we reduce it by 5db just for her? I was thinking high end ear plugs but they tend to reduce sound by like 15db.

Any ideas?

Some kind of loudness EQ may help you to "feel it" better at a lower overall volume.

kiwifi

Turn down the volume and get yourself some hearing aids. Happy wife, happy life!

Newman

Major Contributor

Newman

Major Contributor

Actually I’ll make the opposite suggestion. Make sure you don‘t already have DRC turned on. And if you do, turn it off. Then let her set the dialog level that she wants, and you will get the peak levels that you want. :cool:

Top Bottom