• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

tparm

Forum Donor
Glad to finally see this review and thanks @amirm, I know these things suck a lot of time and effort to measure. I am curious what it looks like through its analog path. Seems like measurements in this domain would keep a consistent catalog with other AVR/processors. Picking mine up tomorrow and will implement in my system next week; this unit is the AKM DACs right? Lastly I am interested to read your thoughts on ARC Genesis once you’re able to play around it it. Cheers.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
So no personal experience yourself?

I had it for 2 weeks and sent it back. Same for the JBL SDP-55 and ARCAM AV40. Not willing to pay high $$$ and been a free beta tester. I paid my share as free beta tester with Emotiva 3 years ago and that was enough.

tparm

Forum Donor
I had it for 2 weeks and sent it back. Same for the JBL SDP-55 and ARCAM AV40. Not willing to pay high $$$ and been a free beta tester. I paid my share as free beta tester with Emotiva 3 years ago and that was enough.
What processor do you use? I went from AVR-X4700 to A110 to RMC-1L. I like the Emotiva a lot, excellent sound and flexibility. I’ve read the AVS Forum, and this, Audioholics, Home Theater Hi-Fi and waiting to read AVForums upcoming review of the 70. I don’t see any glaring shortcomings for the AVM 70. Most issues I read about are user error or CEC/ARC related which doesn’t apply to my system. I get my AVM 70 tomorrow and will install it next week, looking forward to comparing it to the Emotiva.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I went from Emotiva XMC-1 with 4K HDMI Upgrade to Denon X6500H. Then ARCAM AV40, JBL SDP-55 and Anthem AVM70 then back to Denon X6700H using it in pre amp mode with all speakers driven by external amps. I'm going to wait until the SDP-55 gets the HDMI 2.1 board upgrade, see if the bugs get sorted out, then I will buy it again. I like Dirac better than the old ARC. I haven't tried the new ARC Genesis because by the time I returned the AVM70, ARC Genesis wasn't available for the AVM70.

andrewskaterrr

If it had HDMI 2.1 I'd bail on the SDP-58 and order right now. I'm still waiting for Arcam to announce their HDMI 2.1 series. I don't think I need the extra features of the SDP-58 that increase the price.

tparm

Forum Donor
I went from Emotiva XMC-1 with 4K HDMI Upgrade to Denon X6500H. Then ARCAM AV40, JBL SDP-55 and Anthem AVM70 then back to Denon X6700H using it in pre amp mode with all speakers driven by external amps. I'm going to wait until the SDP-55 gets the HDMI 2.1 board upgrade, see if the bugs get sorted out, then I will buy it again. I like Dirac better than the old ARC. I haven't tried the new ARC Genesis because by the time I returned the AVM70, ARC Genesis wasn't available for the AVM70.
I like the Denon product and wouldn’t be opposed to having one of their AVRs back in my rack.
I ran mine in preamp mode too. I don’t have any use for 2.1. I switched all my cabling to XLR (silly the AVMs don’t have balanced inputs) and I am not personally impressed with Dirac in the Emo, especially in the sub integration, so I hope the AVM 70 provides the experience I am looking for. I even used preset 2 for 2CH large configuration and ran Dirac in the RMC and played several tracks switching between Reference Stereo (through X16 DAC) and the Dirac profile and to me the Reference Stereo setting was always better. Chasing the audio dragon is fun and somewhat tedious at the same time.

TimoJ

The AVM70 has a very modern and attractive front panel and display:
Company takes full use of the large display as you see with nice icons.
However you should mention that the actual visible LCD-display is much smaller than the black display panel area..

avm70.jpg

ah-ra

Thanks @amirm , for another interesting review! I wish the manufacturers actually read this reviews too and start producing AVRs and Pre/Pros with a 2ch performance comparable to good 2ch products. I really don't think it is too costly, they just don't see the need for 99% of the consumers... I would really like to see one of the slim line AVR from Marantz on your test-bench.... would send one over but am too far away....

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
As I explained, a while a go I decided to grade AV products in their own class. This is why they have their own SINAD chart and such.

Part of this is justified due to processing in AVRs require (independent) headroom reservation which cuts into dynamic range. This doesn't happen in a straight DAC (although may happen in a player that performs EQ for example).

My feeling is that manufactures have received the signal though that they need to step up their performance. So me putting them down more relative to desktop products may not have a lot of value.

SOTA DAC being at 120db and SOTA AVRs being at 100db.
Are you saying room correction is eating 20db of dynamic range / SINAD ?
So if I use a SOTA DAC like Okto on a PC, and I add Dirac Live as a VST, I will have similar performance of about 100 db SINAD ?

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Still waiting on Topping, JDS, or even SMSL for an AVR. :)

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Still waiting on Topping, JDS, or even SMSL for an AVR. :)
Why so sure those companies will make a better AVR/AVP?
Maybe the price will be better, hopefully.
But, there are so many things going on in AV products... codecs, dsp, video processing...
Do you really believe they will make a good reliable product on the first try?

And why are you so sure that the SINAD will be better? Most AV signal is finally routed through a DSP chip and who knows, maybe no one can make a better SINAD with current tech.
Finally, this AVP has 108 db of dynamic range and 99 SINAD. Do you really need more? Can you hear the difference in 120db vs 100db?

Don't get me wrong, I wish more companies made AV products, because competition makes better product and great respect to Topping, JDS, SMSL for their engineering and dedication. We just don't have any evidence that they will make an AV product so much better then the rest.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why so sure those companies will make a better AVR/AVP?
Maybe the price will be better, hopefully.
But, there are so many things going on in AV products... codecs, dsp, video processing...
Do you really believe they will make a good reliable product on the first try?

And why are you so sure that the SINAD will be better? Most AV signal is finally routed through a DSP chip and who knows, maybe no one can make a better SINAD with current tech.
Finally, this AVP has 108 db of dynamic range and 99 SINAD. Do you really need more? Can you hear the difference in 120db vs 100db?

Don't get me wrong, I wish more companies made AV products, because competition makes better product and great respect to Topping, JDS, SMSL for their engineering and dedication. We just don't have any evidence that they will make an AV product so much better then the rest.
For me and many we would like to see an AVP in a smaller factor, limited in outputs, but significantly cheaper, such as this.

sgent

For me and many we would like to see an AVP in a smaller factor, limited in outputs, but significantly cheaper, such as this.

Those are interesting but don't provide any room correction.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Direct copy from their website, This isn't their Top unit, they will release an AVM 90 later this year. Here is a portion of a reply from Anthem support about the DAC:
Hello Jason,

Can you confirm that from launch all DAC models have been the same? Can you reveal what DAC will be in the newer batches after you guys changed the production descriptions on Literature?

The DAC models which we are using are AKM AK4458VN in MRX 540/740/1140 and AVM 70 except for AVM 90. If there are some DAC changes in the future we are not previewing at this time.

AVM 70 Specifications​

PREAMPLIFIER (MEASURED AT XLR OUTPUT)​
Maximum Output (<0.1% THD)​
10.7 VRMS, Subwoofer 11 VRMS​
Frequency Response​
20 Hz — 35 kHz (+/-0.2dB)​
Frequency Response, Analog-Direct​
20 Hz — 80 kHz (+0, -2 dB)​
THD+N (4 Vrms output)​
-100 dB​
S/N Ratio (4 Vrms output, IEC-A filter)​
110 dB​