• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

quadrobust

I'm looking for a Class D with a sub out, optical and RCA in, and a remote. It doesn't need to be incredibly powerful, just enough for some bookshelves, but it needs to be clean and without a high noise floor. Not sure if that's asking for too much, but that's what I need. The SMSL SA300 is awfully close, but it doesn't have optical.
What about Loxjie A30?

spiritofjerry

What about Loxjie A30?
It's currently sitting at ~$190, meaning it's not really an option. It's outside the $150 window. I already have dedicated headphone gear (which the Loxjie includes but is decidedly poor at), so if it cut out the headphone portion and cut the price by about $50-75, it would be the perfect device.

reg66

If someone knows a place to buy it from Germany, please tell me, Amazon tells me that they do not send it there. Greetings!
Are you saying to send it to Germany or to Argentina from Germany? This post might get taken down because of the link but here's one. Just search amazon de for usb c to usb b or usb c printer kabel.

Here

ManuMaker

Thank you very much for the reply. I apologize if I do not express myself correctly. I live in Argentina, the paradise of populism, so anything costs a lot more, normally triple and the dollar here is very expensive so the dx3pro + will be brought to me by a friend who lives in Germany, if possible, because in Amazon where he normally buy it's not avaliable in germany . If there is the E50 but unfortunately I am not interested in either the MQA or the balanced (momentarily).
The cable i can Buy it in argentina for 20usdt

Last edited:

endy

Anyone here try this with the Arya? Been thinking of getting this, DX7 Pro, or the Gustard x16/h16 stack. Curious if this isn't far off from the other two, or if there's still a significant difference.

oneman

They document it at 0.1 ohm and I believe it

Output impedance?!
If you believe in specifications why you measure this toys?
The lower the better and so on and suddenly no info - it is not fair to the previous devices.
Is it sponsored test?

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Output impedance?!
The lower the better and so on and suddenly no info - it is not fair to the previous devices.
Is it sponsored test?
Welcome to ASR. Good to see someone new jumping in with both feet. Much better then when current members create a second account to post something they are unhappy about. :cool:

Reactions: JRS

reg66

Have ordered one of these Pro+'s. Quick query though (hasn't arrived yet), can I expect there to be auto switching between RCA and headphones? ie audio plays via powered speakers until headphone jack is inserted, at which time the speakers (RCA) become disabled and audio plays through HP's... Or, will it continually play through both outputs?

haen

Have ordered one of these Pro+'s. Quick query though (hasn't arrived yet), can I expect there to be auto switching between RCA and headphones? ie audio plays via powered speakers until headphone jack is inserted, at which time the speakers (RCA) become disabled and audio plays through HP's... Or, will it continually play through both outputs?
My reading of the manual is that you need to explicitly switch between headphone amp, line out (RCA), or both outputs (you can do that using the remote or by 'double-click' of the volume knob). Hopefully I got it right (it fits my preferred use), otherwise I will be disappointed when my unit arrive (which won't happen too soon, delivery times are horrible...).

reg66

My reading of the manual is that you need to explicitly switch between headphone amp, line out (RCA), or both outputs (you can do that using the remote or by 'double-click' of the volume knob). Hopefully I got it right (it fits my preferred use), otherwise I will be disappointed when my unit arrive (which won't happen too soon, delivery times are horrible...).
Ahh ok, manhy thanks. I was kinda hoping for auto switching when the headphones are connected. But I guess the way you state means I can always leave the headphones connected and just use the remote to alternate between HP and pre amp/RCA out. That would work fine for me too, plus it'll save the headphone jack being repeatedly inserted and minimise port breaking. Much better me thinks... I'm just used to auto, but I guess I'll have to adapt!!

haen

Ahh ok, manhy thanks. I was kinda hoping for auto switching when the headphones are connected. But I guess the way you state means I can always leave the headphones connected and just use the remote to alternate between HP and pre amp/RCA out. That would work fine for me too, plus it'll save the headphone jack being repeatedly inserted and minimise port breaking.
Yep, I'm looking for exactly this behaviour. I've checked some YT reviews of the older DX3 Pro and it seemed to work in the described way, so I hope they didn't change that for DX3 Pro+.

zombiebrains2

Hello,

Will this DX3 PRO+ work well with CD/DVD players with it's coaxial/optical inputs? The newer E30 Topping for example has issues with SPDIF particularly with older gear and that CS84 receiver it uses. I have never used my phone bluetooth to stream before but I notice my phone is 4.0 and can use LDAC, will the DX3 + work fine with typical Hi res flac with the version 5 supported by the pro+ and my 4.0?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Output impedance?!

I also would have liked to see the output impedance measured, but I wouldn't dream of requesting it that aggressively... Especially if it was my first post on a forum :facepalm:

He tests a buttload of equipment and my guess would be, that he has reached a point where he focuses on the tests that benefits from the use of the AP analyzer. He has a ton of gear waiting in line, and output impedance can be ballparked with far less sophisticated tools. Besides, how many examples do we have of measured output impedance straying significantly from spec? If the answer is 'zero', that might also have something to do with the "relaxed" attitude towards its measurement.

Is it sponsored test?

Amir has no need for sponsorships, and if he took one it would undermine everything ASR stands for.

Again, good job insulting the intelligens of the forum founder with your first post :D

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Good point. I'm not going to pretend that I can speak for Amir on that one. But I'll be surprised if he can't put the suspicion to shame.

Besides, even if Topping "bought" him with this DAC, what would the point being of hiding a high output impedance? It's not a difficult thing for another third-party to investigate, so why would he risk to tank his integrity for a mere $200? It wouldn't make sense at all.

Seems to me you just hold Amir in low regard and are searching for an excuse to point fingers at him.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
On a first page is written "It was sent to me by the company" so I guess it is a kind of sponsored test.
Excellent you figured it out. We get paid in bullion and Bitcoin for each Advertisement running compounded for each day they run. Just count them all! Adds everywhere. :rolleyes:

Whoops did I just accidentally hit the Thread Ban button. Darn thought it was a sponsor click add!

Hxx

On a first page is written "It was sent to me by the company" so I guess it is a kind of sponsored test.
this is very common for reviewers to receive items for free from the company in exchange for a review. Depending on the actual item cost, they may need to send it back to the next reviewer in line. Its a win win situation where the reviewer gets website traffic / subscribers while the company gets free publicity if the product is actually good . Many reviewers disclose that it was received by the company and the opinions are their own, etc.

And frankly even without knowing anything about this website, the mere fact that you see an in-depth discussion, measurements and pros/cons , comparisons, etc is a pretty clear indication that it is a nonpaid test otherwise it would have been a listing of all features and price and affiliate links no need for any analysis.

Last edited:

yavormoskov

I think we needed a proper combo device to replace the DX3 Pro and its high impedance and this delivers. For a while I have been stomped when people asking for an under $200 DAC and Amp combo. We have that now again from Topping.
Do you think it can drive planar magnetic headphones that are just 8 ohm?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent you figured it out. We get paid in bullion and Bitcoin for each Advertisement running compounded for each day they run. Just count them all! Adds everywhere. :rolleyes:

Whoops did I just accidentally hit the Thread Ban button. Darn thought it was a sponsor click add!
ooh you naughty naughty boy, how'd you manage to hit the wrong button. :p

ririt

Thank you very much for the reply. I apologize if I do not express myself correctly. I live in Argentina, the paradise of populism, so anything costs a lot more, normally triple and the dollar here is very expensive so the dx3pro + will be brought to me by a friend who lives in Germany, if possible, because in Amazon where he normally buy it's not avaliable in germany . If there is the E50 but unfortunately I am not interested in either the MQA or the balanced (momentarily).
The cable i can Buy it in argentina for 20usdt
I think that Audiophonics (based in France) is shipping to Germany. They are offering Topping products

Top Bottom