• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D vs Class A in Jay's Subjective and self serving comparison

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Word of Caution: Clicking on The below Video links will only help feed the “Subjective believe it” Industry. Watch at our collective peril!!!

Interesting comparison class D with ultra high end mono amps

Jay's conclusion:

I don't agree with many of his statements in tha last video, but anyway it is interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
DHT 845

DHT 845

Sighted test results = Confirmation Bias.
But you can listen to it unbiased...

For me the worst part is that he has depreciated people's votes (which were almost equal) saying that there are losses in recordning and such,
and only peaople that liked his class A have good systems and he congratulated them... (if you don't have mega $$$ speakers your judgment is unreliable). Horrible, biased atitude of person that builds his "reputation" by changing and testing all over again very expensive audio gear.

He is not an authority for me.

OP
DHT 845

DHT 845

I missed 1 demo

OP
DHT 845

DHT 845

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For shits and giggles I downloaded the video and looked at Demo #1. Looks like levels were not evenly matched. The Class A amp is 2 dB lower in perceived volume. But that should make the other one the winner, right? Well, probably not because the Class D amp recording was clipping at various points (5 to 10 times as much as the Class A recording). It's quite clearly audible. Didn't bother checking Demo #2.

And what's up with not telling us what the Class A amp was? How about some transparency?

Also: that class D amp has tubes :facepalm:

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I added a warning notice to the first post in thread.

I am interested in your opinions with regard to if and/or how we should present content of this nature in future threads. It seems to me to be counterproductive to be used as a vehicle to drive view hits to Self-serving Subjective opinion based reviewers like this. Is this in our interest? Do we find this type of review helpful ? How should we proceed in the future? Complicated subject but let’s us hear your thoughts and suggestions please.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am interested in your opinions with regard to if and/or how we should present content of this nature in future threads. It seems to me to be counterproductive to be used as a vehicle to drive view hits to Self-serving Subjective opinion based reviewers like this. Is this in our interest? Do we find this type of review helpful ? How should we proceed in the future? Complicated subject but let’s us hear your thoughts and suggestions please.
I think it's always a fine line between adding more views and exposing the nonsense. On a big channel, a few extra views are like a drop in the ocean and it will probably not matter that much. For smaller channels, you will drive relatively more traffic to them. However, Google will also note that a lot of the traffic came from ASR, and will raise the ASR topic in the search results, making it easier to find, and therefore giving it a good chance to expose it to an unsuspecting viewer. Also, we can leave a dislike on the videos. You can also comment (be nice :) ), but since those are usually moderated, it's a futile exercise.

In the end, I think educating people should prevail over attempting to pretend it does not exist.

pma

Major Contributor

In my opinion - I would not let post a content like this. There are zillions of forums and youtube videos dealing with it and there is no need to add attraction to this. Also, the fight against it also does not make any sense. Best to ignore. Ignore and not let post. I would be happy if ASR turned people to learn and grow.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if @pma, who is known around here for very occasionally complaining about class D (cough, cough) tells me not to watch a clown's skewed demo trashing class D, I definitely won't watch it ;)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not bringing new attraction. It is like a fake news - the more they spread the more they are efficient. Or like trolling. The only way to stop Trolls is to ignore them.
Well, we have to agree to disagree then. If I look at what happened to the flat earth community in the last few years, it shows that exposing the non-sense is a very powerful weapon.

JSmith

Master Contributor
These videos are silly as from the very start the premise is false... comparing amps based on class type only is irrelevant.
thoughts and suggestions please.
My suggestion would be that a basic summary or commentary to describe the contents of the video be provided by the poster, so that others can get a feel for what the video is about without having to open it. Alternatively mods could convert suspect embedded videos to a screenshot only, so people will need to search for it if they want to view same. Either would only apply to these types of videos though of course, not general music or other types. That said I guess we don't know how many members here actually start the embedded videos either. I would imagine newer members may be more inclined to do so, whereas longer term members may only open the odd one for a laugh.

JSmith

pma

Major Contributor
if @pma, who is known around here for very occasionally complaining about class D (cough, cough) tells me not to watch a clown's skewed demo trashing class D, I definitely won't watch it ;)

:)
Look - I am almost always bringing facts/measurements and not plain statements. It may be about interpretation then if someone finds these measurements important or not. We know that there are set of measurements where different classes of operation may be better than the others. The goal should be to make the thing performing well in all measurements and regardless class of operation. Without excuses on class of operation. A blackbox principle. Already discussed.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I added a warning notice to the first post in thread.

I am firmly against censorship of technical and scientific ideas, even if they're stupid. They stand or fall on their own merit or lack thereof. Ditto dishonest promotion as long as responses to it are likewise not censored.

Top Bottom