• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scared cat question. I want to sort it while he's still young.

dc655321

Major Contributor
My cat has no inside-voice: it's full volume, all the time. Other than that, she's a 16 year old sweetheart.

Fully agree with the tempt with treats approach.

67697D50-9E0E-4750-803E-8D7EFAC240BB.jpeg

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
My cat has no inside-voice: it's full volume, all the time. Other than that, she's a 16 year old sweetheart.

Fully agree with the tempt with treats approach.

View attachment 157393
Some beautiful camo she has there. Especially her face. Gorgeous.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Our cat is a total dick. He'll stand by his bowl and whine until you feed him then leaves the second you do. He'll knock anything over that will break, just for kicks and he brings in live mice which he turns into a bag of mouse parts, eats the head and leaves the arsehole and back legs for you to find. On your chair, under the sofa, by the car keys.

Love him...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
They're beggars arn't they?

I accidentally locked him out one time. I'm sat watching TV and hear a noise like someone is breaking down the back door. I run around and it's just the cat there, mightily pissed off.

He was a big cat but I've no idea how he was able to make that noise. It really sounded like someone was pounding on the door with a baseball bat.

Mine uses the trash can as a boxing speed bag with it rebounding against the wall as he sits up whacking it with his paws. Is there any play in the door? That's good noise value!

Our cat is a total dick. He'll stand by his bowl and whine until you feed him then leaves the second you do. He'll knock anything over that will break, just for kicks and he brings in live mice which he turns into a bag of mouse parts, eats the head and leaves the arsehole and back legs for you to find. On your chair, under the sofa, by the car keys.

Love him...

We bring these innately high strung natural born killers into our lives, and feel lucky when they allow us to entertain them.

Mine have both started bringing crickets in from the patio...

My old girl finally got out of her habit of knocking over every liquid filled glass she could get to like it was her job. That was a fun phase.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, you admit that you are now a happy slave? That cat won the lotto when he got you. Safe from the worlds dangers and food. That is a happy cat!
Yes, I think so. We were all concerned he wouldn't make a good house cat; turns out he's the cuddliest of the bunch.
I swear there's a subset of ferals out there who choose to seek out 'kind hoomans for foods' until they find one that'll take them in.
The cuddler & redhead:
IMG_20190204_200957291.jpg

And the Big Guy, who we lost just last week (RIP):
_1020935 Boo outside C SM - Copy.JPG

Tom C

Major Contributor
The stray we took in is by far the most affectionate and companionable of the three we have. The vet estimates he was about three months old when he found us.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Yes, I think so. We were all concerned he wouldn't make a good house cat; turns out he's the cuddliest of the bunch.
I swear there's a subset of ferals out there who choose to seek out 'kind hoomans for foods' until they find one that'll take them in.
The cuddler & redhead:
View attachment 157492
And the Big Guy, who we lost just last week (RIP):
View attachment 157493
My condolence on your loss.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I write this in hopes of helping other cat owners and the cats overall health. We recently lost our most beloved Cat companion Gracy! As @Tom C said, she picked us. She was a rescue adoption and immediately bonded with my wife. Not our fist feline master. She passed away at the young age of barely 10 years old. From Kidney disease.

1 in 3 Cats will develop Kidney disease https://www.pethealthnetwork.com/ca.../6-surprising-facts-about-kidney-disease-cats

One specific leading cause that is completely within our ability to control is dietary related. Sure as hell wish Cats came with a tag that tells you this. Domestic Cats, like their wild African ancestors, derive the majority of their water/liquid dietary requirements from the fresh meat of their kills. House Cats and Cats that are not free to roam outside the house will rely entirely on the type of food they are provided. Cat dry food does not contain sufficient liquids/moisture for a healthy diet and they will not drink enough water like a dog does. Cat Dry food is like human junk food. The cats become addicted to this unbalanced diet and will live in a varying state of dehydration. This can often times lead to Kidney disease and irreversible kidney damage.

Getting a new Kitty Master? Feed them a wet/moist diet and avoid any type of dry food. We should be told about this by our Vets and adoption sites. We were never told this until it was too late. So I wrote all of this as a way to warn other Feline caregiver slaves about the dangers of providing a dry food diet to your cats. Don’t make the mistake we made. Start that little furry ball on a wet diet and help your cat to avoid a terrible disease. Have your Cats bloodwork done every year to ensure your cats kidneys are not showing any detectable signs of reduced capacity.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Well said, @AdamG247.

My cat (pic above) developed diabetes about 7 years ago after ballooning up to 20lbs on dry food. We administered insulin shots twice daily for several months as we got her weight under control and she has been healthy ever since (14lbs last check).

She now eats better than I do, almost never touches her water bowl, and even her coat is much more luxurious. She's a happy creature. Well... as much as cats can be...

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agree completely with the above sentiments. We have stopped giving our cat dry food altogether after talking to many, many experts. We even add a little water to his wet food at night.

Another thing to look out for is if they are always desperate for scraps. And I mean desperate like going into the sink and licking plates desperate. It can be a sign of hyperthyroidism. Our friends poor cat had a stroke that was related to this and passed away soon thereafter.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find snacks and treats too be the most effective method of training. Had a snappy barking golden retriever and he was taught to be nice to strangers in one evening. Smoked beef jerky worked on him to make him friendly to people. Took ~$10.00 of jerky one night to bribe him to think that people carry beef jerky and he was nice to people after that. Get a stranger to slip a big hunk gently into his mouth and make him gently take it works wonders on manners. Cats will have their kryptonite too and you just need to find what it is. Fresh trout, steamed chicken breast, lasagna or whatever the cat loves eating.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I find snacks and treats too be the most effective method of training. Had a snappy barking golden retriever and he was taught to be nice to strangers in one evening. Smoked beef jerky worked on him to make him friendly to people. Took ~$10.00 of jerky one night to bribe him to think that people carry beef jerky and he was nice to people after that. Get a stranger to slip a big hunk gently into his mouth and make him gently take it works wonders on manners. Cats will have their kryptonite too and you just need to find what it is. Fresh trout, steamed chicken breast, lasagna or whatever the cat loves eating.

As a dog owner that is great dog advice. But, cats are looking for you to prostrate yourself on the floor, tell them that they are your master and you are the slave. Then you are to beg for forgiveness for your slow pace of feeding them. Then beg for forgiveness for not paying them enough attention and making sure they are satisfied and all needs are met. Oh, then add on that you realize you are a worm compared to them and they are Master of everything they see. Now after all that, there is no time for training the cat. He will look at you like "What are you that dumb"? "I'm a cat, I train YOU!"

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I write this in hopes of helping other cat owners and the cats overall health. We recently lost our most beloved Cat companion Gracy! As @Tom C said, she picked us. She was a rescue adoption and immediately bonded with my wife. Not our fist feline master. She passed away at the young age of barely 10 years old. From Kidney disease.

1 in 3 Cats will develop Kidney disease https://www.pethealthnetwork.com/ca.../6-surprising-facts-about-kidney-disease-cats

One specific leading cause that is completely within our ability to control is dietary related. Sure as hell wish Cats came with a tag that tells you this. Domestic Cats, like their wild African ancestors, derive the majority of their water/liquid dietary requirements from the fresh meat of their kills. House Cats and Cats that are not free to roam outside the house will rely entirely on the type of food they are provided. Cat dry food does not contain sufficient liquids/moisture for a healthy diet and they will not drink enough water like a dog does. Cat Dry food is like human junk food. The cats become addicted to this unbalanced diet and will live in a varying state of dehydration. This can often times lead to Kidney disease and irreversible kidney damage.

Getting a new Kitty Master? Feed them a wet/moist diet and avoid any type of dry food. We should be told about this by our Vets and adoption sites. We were never told this until it was too late. So I wrote all of this as a way to warn other Feline caregiver slaves about the dangers of providing a dry food diet to your cats. Don’t make the mistake we made. Start that little furry ball on a wet diet and help your cat to avoid a terrible disease. Have your Cats bloodwork done every year to ensure your cats kidneys are not showing any detectable signs of reduced capacity.

I totally agree. Cats really should not eat dry food at all. I have looked at and talked with companies making the best, most expensive dry cat foods available in the USA. Even they said if possible to buy their canned food as no dry food should be fed all the time, more like 25% if you really have too. They all also talk about adding water to the canned food when feeding. This is around 2 tablespoons varying as needed for each cat. If they get runny stools back off the added water till it clears up. There is no dry food made and for sale in the USA (or world) that is good for your cat. Every company I talked too admitted this and said the problem with dry is that to make it into a kibble and not a powder (people would not buy powders) they have to have lots of carbs (starch) to hold the kibble together. Carbs are worse than really bad junk food for cats and will kill them over time with health problems. All the supposed "No carb" dry cat food is a lie. They will say it is very low carb but when you look into it, they are little starch bombs to keep the kibble from falling apart. Starchs are carbs. There are almost no regulations that keep our cat food healthy. The consumer is on their own.

Another cool tip that I didn't know and was verified as true by numerous "high end" cat food companies. ALL canned cat food (Non-gravy) is pretty much the same. They all have zero or near zero carbs and have a very high meat/protein content in them. So, that Friskies canned food on sale dirt cheap is still FAR better than ANY dry food sold. So, in canned food, just buy whatever they will eat, even the lower end canned food is still so much better than dry. Oh and remember Dogs are omnivores but cats are true pure carnivores. What will keep a dog happy and healthy will kill a cat. The problem is that darn cats will eat stuff that will kill them long term. Hmmm, sounds like me! I eat too much stuff that is not healthy.........

Please treat your cats well. The little buggers rely on you for their health and to protect them at all times.

VenoMal1c3

Our scared cat is Wraith, who lives in a state of perpetual fear of everything. If someone comes in, she will usually hide & if either my wife or myself come in from outside she will hide behind a chair where she can't be seen until she knows it's one of us & she is safe. The girl is always scared, but she lived outside on the mean streets for 6-9 months, so fear was how she survived. Loud sounds scare her most, especially if they come from outside. Case in point, our downstairs neighbor moved out due to the rising cost of rent, which means for the past two weeks the unit has been undergoing renovations, which means a lot of noise. Enough constant racket to induce terror for little Wraith & trigger migraines for me. Fortunately for everyone Wraith has adapted well to my musical tastes & now takes comfort from polyrhythms & feels protected by the blast beats found in the soothing sounds of Metal music to effectively drown out most of the noise.

The complete opposite is Our cat my wife's cat Åkerfeldt, who is a fearless asshole of a cat & a bitchy little bastard as well. If he wants to be fed & the wife is sleeping he will either lick her wherever there is bare skin outside of a blanket or paw at her while she is sleeping. If that isn't effective, he will walk on her pillow & around her head & meow every now & then. He does it even if I tell him that I will feed him. We are currently on slightly different schedules & because I'm a lifelong insomniac, there's a really good chance that when Åkerfeldt gets hungry around 11:30pm-midnight, I'm up eight out of ten times.

All that little bastard has to do is go into the kitchen, or come within 15 feet of me if I'm working out & meow once. He knows this, because he has demonstrated on multiple occasions that he is capable of doing this & it is the most effective way for him to be fed. But cats are, by nature, assholes.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my relatively new neighbour has a cat, a tiny little thing but so loud I can sometimes hear her remonstrating with him through the party wall.

She will wander about in the alley at the back but does not like to go out front as the noise of cars passing scares her. If we are talking on the front step she will come to the doorway and shout at us to get back inside.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about removing all the cat's hiding spots, so he will be forced to stay with the people
The cat was scared to death with no hiding in sight with the giant intruders. Adrenochrome took over and it just collapsed.
This was repeated until the cat had spent it's 9 lives and passed.

JSmith

Master Contributor

A few minutes before guests arrive, allow your cat to retreat to the safe room if she chooses. Once she’s inside, provide her with a special food treat and an interactive or food-dispensing toy to distract her and create positive associations with the presence of strangers in the house.

JSmith

Top Bottom