• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-A110

JaimeAC

Hi all - just got the AVR 110 and boy it sounds different than the 8500H. Cleaner, more impactful and a more refined top end that is not as bright as the 8500. I’ve compared different combos, and the most recent disappointment that this best’s is the HTP1 w/ Parasound A52+ combo. The latter had a hard time with booting problems, appearing to be systemic, and the service reps admitted that they don’t know the cause so they offered a refund as they could not repair and were out of units for at least 4 months. Of course the A110 is more stable, but I have to say it also sounds better so far and I’m quite surprised. Still lots to do in terms of room EQ, this preliminary review I’m giving is a 2 channel pure direct comparison. Without @amirm review I would have been lost - so thank you! Would be great to see how this measures differently than the already good spec’d 8500

Last edited:

xano

Hi all - just got the AVR 110 and boy it sounds different than the 8500H. Cleaner, more impactful and a more refined top end that is not as bright as the 8500. I’ve compared different combos, and the most recent disappointment that this best’s is the HTP1 w/ Parasound A52+ combo. The latter had a hard time with booting problems, appearing to be systemic, and the service reps admitted that they don’t know the cause so they offered a refund as they could not repair and were out of units for at least 4 months. Of course the A110 is more stable, but I have to say it also sounds better so far and I’m quite surprised. Still lots to do in terms of room EQ, this preliminary review I’m giving is a 2 channel pure direct comparison. Without @amirm review I would have been lost - so thank you! Would be great to see how this measures differently than the already good spec’d 8500

Your test take from AVC-A110 V1 or V2?

Last edited:
Your test take from AVC-A110 V1 or V2?

Interesting to know that a V2 exists of this unit - I found that starting in May, all Denon and Marantz units affected by the 8K bug have been fixed via an internal hardware change. All Serial Numbers after xxxxxxx70000 are V2 and don't require the SPK618 add on box.

xano

Interesting to know that a V2 exists of this unit - I found that starting in May, all Denon and Marantz units affected by the 8K bug have been fixed via an internal hardware change. All Serial Numbers after xxxxxxx70000 are V2 and don't require the SPK618 add on box.

Yes new hardware update so you can call it a V2.No?

Following JaimeAC message we do not know if he is talking about the old model or the updated

Agentelite

Jaime,

I think we have similar paths. I had the 8500 and I ended up moving to the HTP-1 with Parasound A21+/52+/23+ and I thought it sound really good, but it was too buggy. I have the A110 now and im happy, but also curious to know how it compares to the 8500.

Im thinking about sending mines for review BUT...If there someone close to the Seattle area or someone else who wants to volunteer to send their A110. Id be willing to help with shipping. Just throwing it out there..

xano

I had a direct response on the official Denon Japan page on tweeter

AVC-A110のアップデート後、AKMチップは変更されましたか?

Has AKM chip changed after AVC-A110 update?

ご質問をありがとうございます。AVC-A110についてはD/Aコンバーターは変更しておりませんので、音質もそのままです。どうぞご安心ください。

Thanks for your question. As for the AVC-A110, the D / A converter has not been changed, so the sound quality remains the same. Rest assured.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a direct response on the official Denon Japan page on tweeter

AVC-A110のアップデート後、AKMチップは変更されましたか?

Has AKM chip changed after AVC-A110 update?

ご質問をありがとうございます。AVC-A110についてはD/Aコンバーターは変更しておりませんので、音質もそのままです。どうぞご安心ください。

Thanks for your question. As for the AVC-A110, the D / A converter has not been changed, so the sound quality remains the same. Rest assured.

It is their limited edition if I remember right, so they properly only need to keep a small inventory to support the product. The 8500HA may not be so lucky, as we already know the 8805A's got replaced with the ES9010KS2M. Not that the ES chip is not good enough, just 6dB lower than the AKM's in SINAD and a few dB lower in DR.

wseroyer

I'm pretty sure the AVR-A110 is just a x8500h that's been murdered out for $1500 more, I doubt there's any real audible difference or its something only "golden ears" could make up in their head. what's funny is if you where in the market for a x8500HA you'd have to get a A110 because Denon is completely out of stock of the x8500HA.

wseroyer

Thank you for your feedback! Spare Change has the Trinnov ans loves it!
Shane also loves Audioquest cables and doesn't EQ subs when he test them because he thinks it's "cheating", he has nice videos, but I don't consider his opinion to be worth much of anything.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure the AVR-A110 is just a x8500h that's been murdered out for $1500 more, I doubt there's any real audible difference or its something only "golden ears" could make up in their head. what's funny is if you where in the market for a x8500HA you'd have to get a A110 because Denon is completely out of stock of the x8500HA.

Yes it does sound funny.

According to AVF, one would think that the A110 would be out of stock sooner, if "limited production run" means something, or that was just a rumor.:D

"All the A110s are made in Denon’s Shirakawa audio factory, and there’s a limited production runalthough Denon are somewhat coy about exactly how limited. The A110 also comes with a five year warranty."

elvisizer

it's only surprising if you assume that both models sell at the same rate.
honestly I don't find it surprising at all because the a110 doesn't seem like a great value compared with the 8500- if they're both in stock I would think the vast majority of people would go for the 8500.

tparm

Forum Donor
The A110 has unique windings, caps and uses a different manufacturing method for the boards. I would assume none of this is audible but could affect long term reliability. I owned one and it didn't sound any better then the X4700 I owned before it but my current RMC-IL sounds better than both. I agree with the thought they would be a bit more exclusive and there wouldn't be a .2 (so to speak) model.

Jbrunwa

The A110 has unique windings, caps and uses a different manufacturing method for the boards. I would assume none of this is audible but could affect long term reliability. I owned one and it didn't sound any better then the X4700 I owned before it but my current RMC-IL sounds better than both. I agree with the thought they would be a bit more exclusive and there wouldn't be a .2 (so to speak) model.
I am sure that the A110 is a great AVR. I own a Denon AVR-X3700H and an Emotiva XMC-2 (which the manufacturer has shown to be identical in sound quality to the RMC-1) and when similarly configured my Denon and Emotiva sound the same, and by that to my ears I mean they are transparent (other than the current Emotiva elevated bass management bug). The objective measures here on ASR show that differences in AVR sound quality are inaudible under normal listening conditions (e.g. SINAD > 80, inaudible jitter, etc) The only differentiation is in features like number of channels, supported codecs, expansion capability, room EQ systems, component quality, reliability, support, where they are designed or manufactured, etc. Currently I think Denon reliability is better but I am pulling for Emotiva to improve.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sure that the A110 is a great AVR. I own a Denon AVR-X3700H and an Emotiva XMC-2 (which the manufacturer has shown to be identical in sound quality to the RMC-1) and when similarly configured my Denon and Emotiva sound the same, and by that to my ears I mean they are transparent (other than the current Emotiva elevated bass management bug). The objective measures here on ASR show that differences in AVR sound quality are inaudible under normal listening conditions (e.g. SINAD > 80, inaudible jitter, etc) The only differentiation is in features like number of channels, supported codecs, expansion capability, room EQ systems, component quality, reliability, support, where they are designed or manufactured, etc. Currently I think Denon reliability is better but I am pulling for Emotiva to improve.

Unfortunately, we can say this a million times that opinions given by people who only do somewhat controlled and sighted test is only meaningful and valid for them but they will still not believe it, unless they are willing to take the time to at least do some SBT themselves in their home. DBT in a controlled test would obviously be better/needed to arrive a reliable conclusion, but we all know that it's near impossible for probably 99.999% of audio forum members to do.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One more subjective review to add. :)

Mark K

I am currently having AV8802a and met AV8805 and 110... Can't stop and think..Which is a better pre?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently having AV8802a and met AV8805 and 110... Can't stop and think..Which is a better pre?

If you don't need XLR probably the A110 is better, especially if the price is significantly lower.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well 8805 now is 1000 lower

Then I think it is a better deal imo unless you plan on using some of the Denon's internal amps. I don't doubt the Denon would measure better, but I doubt the two will sound different to most humans under most conditions, except for those who truly believe in their ears/brains never lie or influence their perception in subjective "measurements".

Top Bottom