• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 - Owners' Thread

officialsm

I have an issue, i hope anyone could helps me.
Streaming with BUBBLE UPNP app, with Raspberry (Moode Audio 7.3) connected through USB to Sabaj D5. Raspberry has an OLED screen that shows bitrate.

Issue Is that D5 bitrate on screen seems to be locked to first song i play. Ex: If i start all and First song has 96 khz bitrate, i will have 96 khz written on D5 screen until i will restart Raspberry+D5.
Make attenzione that Raspberry OLED shows Always correct bitrate.

Simeone have experienced this?

Mr. Olinad

Must be something with the way Raspberry communicates with D5 via USB.
I never had this kind of problem when using foobar with different files bitrates, even when switching between DSD files and non DSD files. There's only a click sound, but the display works fine.
Are you on the last firmware?

officialsm

I never had this kind of problem when using foobar with different files bitrates, even when switching between DSD files and non DSD files. There's only a click sound, but the display works fine.

Firmware 1.6
"audio info" in Moode menù shows always correct bitrate.

Last edited:

officialsm

OFFICIAL SABAJ STORE REPLIES THIS:

The USB of D5 is in asynchronous mode. If the operating system is android or something, please pay attention to whether the system avoids the ASRC function that comes with the system. The settings of the player are very important.

But how can i fix It?

Mr. Olinad

OFFICIAL SABAJ STORE REPLIES THIS:

The USB of D5 is in asynchronous mode. If the operating system is android or something, please pay attention to whether the system avoids the ASRC function that comes with the system. The settings of the player are very important.

But how can i fix It?
So basically they're saying the problem is on Raspberry interface.
Looks like something you cannot fix (based on how hard it is to find this subject on google).
I'd suggest you to ask on some Moode Audio thread, but looks like you already did it lol.

officialsm

So basically they're saying the problem is on Raspberry interface.
Looks like something you cannot fix (based on how hard it is to find this subject on google).
I'd suggest you to ask on some Moode Audio thread, but looks like you already did it lol.

If i set oversampling i can solve. Not clear what means in terms of audio quality

eboleyn

Forum Donor
I'm abusing the Sabaj D5 headphone amplifier balanced (4-pin XLR) output to effectively drive a set of speakers (actually using the Raal SR1a "impedance matching box" which expects to be connected to a normal speaker amp at 8-ohm-ish impedance and ~91 db/watt sensitivity).

I like relatively quiet listening compared to most, so we're talking averaging maybe 10mW or 100mW when it's loud to me. After a maybe 1 hour listening session the box got reasonably warm but not hot, but I have seen various commentary saying that there are not heatsinks on some parts... For example, if you look at the fact that it can deliver ~1.3W for a 50 ohm load, then if I deliver 1 watt into that ~8 ohm load (call it a factor of 6), the internal amp (which is 3 ohm) will see ~36x the heat dissipation it would have otherwise.

So, I guess I'm curious if anyone officially knows how much power the internal parts of the headphone amp are rated to take safely.

EDIT: Turns out the Sabaj D5 amp is not delivering the full power into 8 ohms (or I was driving it harder than I thought) and was doing some kind of soft clipping (that's good at least). It was nice to play with it but I think I'm going to play it safe and not use it this way regularly.

Last edited:

officialsm

User manual Is not so useful.
Anyone could explain me DIMMER menu level and home set It?

About filtets which do you suggest to use?

Anyone can explain means of DIMMER menù?

officialsm

officialsm

Hi all,
seems firmware versione 1.7 has been released. I cannot find changelog, in your opinion will be useful to upgrade?

officialsm

Can you provide link for the version download?

found here

Mr. Olinad

I just did it anyway.
The instructions are way better this time and they also included the needed software, so it was almost NNF.
But... IT'S NOT TURNING ON!!!
PLEASE, BE CAREFULL!!!

I'll let you know what's the outcome.

1635519025505.png

Last edited:

Mr. Olinad

Ok guys... so it'll be here for the eternity...
I just played dumb and Erased the chip but forgot to Program Device after.
That was in the manual, it's completely my fault and I failed on a simple NNF task.
1635520743668.png

It's turned on now and the display shows V1.7 2021-10-8
So it's a safe update unless you suffer from ADHD.

Mr. Olinad

As I'm already in the mood, I looked for an XMOS USB DAC DCP update and found a version 5.12.0 from SMSL.
In Sabaj's site the latest version is the 4.67.0 from 2020-05-07.
The v5.12.0 is from 2021-06-15.

Do you guys know if these versions are compatible?
In SMSL's site there are DACs using v4.67 (Sanskrit 10th MKⅡ), v4.82 (Sanskrit 10th), v5.00 (M10) and v5.12 (M500)
https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/downlist/id/11.html

Sabaj used to have an additional file that was called "USB anti-interference" that disappeared with the release of the new firmware.
Maybe they did something in the firmware that made the USB anti-interference file obsolete?

As the driver is something way easier to rollback, I'll try the v5.12 from SMLS and see what happens.

Attachments

• 1635523709866.png
    1635523709866.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 79
Top Bottom