• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Review (active monitor)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn Brits :p with their previously stupid 240V made whole EU change to 230V as "fair compromise" between 240V and 220V, causing so many problems to us collectors of vintage hifi which often wears now quicker, now after Brexit the EU should return to 220V :p

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn Brits :p with their previously stupid 240V made whole EU change to 230V as "fair compromise" between 240V and 220V, causing so many problems to us collectors of vintage hifi which often wears now quicker, now after Brexit the EU should return to 220V :p

My understanding is that the UK adopted the European standard of 50Hz aound the same time :p

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No coil whine on mine either. Bought in May this year. 230v mains here in The Netherlands.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that the UK adopted the European standard of 50Hz aound the same time :p
Nope, it was also 50 Hz before otherwise I am sure they would have forced the EU to meet at 55 Hz :p:D

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
As I understood it the whole thing was a political fudge so they could claim harmonization without actually changing anything on the ground. The nominal voltage changed, but the tolerances were chosen so that everyone could carry on without changing anything.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I understood it the whole thing was a political fudge so they could claim harmonization without actually changing anything on the ground. The nominal voltage changed, but the tolerances were chosen so that everyone could carry on without changing anything.
Correct, although older devices (for example a lot of vintage hifi) which were designed for 220V and had no 240V switch at the back often wear faster, especially in regions where you have at home effectively more than 230V due to the allowed tolerance.

Walter

I think itis entirely possible that the problem is only in a single batch of speakers. That is a bit reassuring.

earlevel

Nope, it was also 50 Hz before otherwise I am sure they would have forced the EU to meet at 55 Hz :p:D
And then there's Japan, with east and west grids running 50 and 60 Hz, respectively. (And connection between them is in high voltage DC, made Fukushima recovery difficult.) :facepalm:

engineer

I think itis entirely possible that the problem is only in a single batch of speakers. That is a bit reassuring.
I don't rule it out, but even if it were true, it would still be about luck, because it's basically impossible to get information about a "fixed" series.

Walter

I don't rule it out, but even if it were true, it would still be about luck, because it's basically impossible to get information about a "fixed" series.
Yes. The way the company has handled this, at least publicly, bothers me as much as the issue itself. I had actually just decided on the MTMs for my office when I have the money and travel opportunity again to buy them, but as I am in a situation where sending them for repair would be very difficult, I'm now having second thoughts.

mohragk

Yes. The way the company has handled this, at least publicly, bothers me as much as the issue itself. I had actually just decided on the MTMs for my office when I have the money and travel opportunity again to buy them, but as I am in a situation where sending them for repair would be very difficult, I'm now having second thoughts.

I dunno, if I would have known that there would be such a lot of QA issues and poor support, not to mention you HAVE to create an account to get to the firmware updater, I would have not bought my MTM's. They do sound great and as long they work I will keep them. But my next set won't be an IK Multimedia one.

engineer

I dunno, if I would have known that there would be such a lot of QA issues and poor support, not to mention you HAVE to create an account to get to the firmware updater, I would have not bought my MTM's. They do sound great and as long they work I will keep them. But my next set won't be an IK Multimedia one.
I totally agree. This company disappointed me a lot. Quality is often about details and IKM does not pay attention to detail at all (eg the power button is also of dubious quality). I admit that I expected more for that money. I had to return the speakers.

paudio

No hiss or coil wine that I have noticed yet but I am in North America. Just picked up a set today. They reach quite low and go quite loud for a desktop setup. Seem to be loud enough for me to do chores around a small house as well.

Tried calibrating but it cut the mids too much. Maybe will try again tomorrow.

Really love how much bottom end they have and they do not disappoint playing electronic music.

mohragk

No hiss or coil wine that I have noticed yet but I am in North America. Just picked up a set today. They reach quite low and go quite loud for a desktop setup. Seem to be loud enough for me to do chores around a small house as well.

Tried calibrating but it cut the mids too much. Maybe will try again tomorrow.

Really love how much bottom end they have and they do not disappoint playing electronic music.

Yeah, I find the auto calibration a bit too much. I'd recommend using the mics to do some measurements with Room EQ Wizard and correct that using Eualizer APO on Windows.

paudio

Biggest issue so far is ground loop when playing games with a Nvidia RTX 3080. So have to solve that. I am thinking ADUM usb isolator with apple usb dac should do ok. Need to get a balanced out interface.

Backflash

Biggest issue so far is ground loop when playing games with a Nvidia RTX 3080. So have to solve that. I am thinking ADUM usb isolator with apple usb dac should do ok. Need to get a balanced out interface.
I solved it by going optical. Cheapest and easiest way to fix GPU interference if you already got a DAC with optical.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I solved the ground loop with my MTMs by...

1. Using a cheap USB isolator, which works fine, but will limit your sample rate.
2. Adding an SPDIF/Tolink back plate to my PC, which also works fine and also limits your sample rate.
3. Replacing my Topping D50s/A50s DAC & HP Amp with an Topping EX5 DAC/Amp with balanced pre-amp output.

They all work fine and to be honest the limitation on sample rate with the first two was not really a limitation as i'm resampling everything in Windows to apply EQ with eAPO anyway.

paudio

I solved the ground loop with my MTMs by...

1. Using a cheap USB isolator, which works fine, but will limit your sample rate.
2. Adding an SPDIF/Tolink back plate to my PC, which also works fine and also limits your sample rate.
3. Replacing my Topping D50s/A50s DAC & HP Amp with an Topping EX5 DAC/Amp with balanced pre-amp output.

I might end up with an interface as I do use synths, midi, instruments and microphones. I have just a USB input for guitar right now.

They all work fine and to be honest the limitation on sample rate with the first two was not really a limitation as i'm resampling everything in Windows to apply EQ with eAPO anyway.

Just hooked up the Adum3160 I got for $18 off Amazon. Absolutely silent and works fine with both my Apple Dongle and my ES100. ES100 is perfect in this case. I get parametric EQ and it will choose between inputs so I can turn on my speakers and play from my phone or play from the computer over USB. Yeah. Normal sample rate is just fine for me.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I might end up with an interface as I do use synths, midi, instruments and microphones. I have just a USB input for guitar right now.

This would probably do the trick then...

Top Bottom