• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zu Audio Dirty Weekend vs Tekton Lore Reference vs ELAC DBR62

I'm looking for comments on the above speakers...I know they aren't comparable.

I've got a 25' x 30' x 8' room (living room) and I'm looking at speakers that can handle that. In this comment, Galliardist mentioned that it would be wise to go with a floorstander with an 8" or 10" woofer to get some immersion in sweet sweet orchestral music (like this Szell Sibelius 2).

The pros/cons of each one are:
  • ELACs
    • Pros: superb review by amir (he gushed over them and they're not even Revel!)
    • Cons: Might not fill up the room/sound thin in such a large room. My current Micca RB42s driven by a tiny but mighty SMSL AD18 don't really, but you don't know until you hear something different.
  • Zus
    • Pros: other people gush over them and the wife gushed over them (her exact words were, "OOOO, I like the wood.") They won't lack for power with a modest amp. Made in 'murica.
    • Cons: very very strange buying procedure and people who frequent this site are not fans.
  • Tektons
    • Pros: seem to have very similar performance (albeit with some different sound characteristics) to the Zus for significantly less. Also very efficient like the Zus. Made in 'murica.
    • Cons: This concerning report on their ability to deliver on a purchase. Wife was disappointed, yes disappointed, after seeing the Zus with this one.
Happy to take thoughts and suggestions for likes. I'm open to other speakers (for some reason the Vienna Acoustics line looks interesting but seems to get mixed reviews). And feel free to call BS on Galliardist's very thoughtful and appreciated suggestion on the room, I'm sure he doesn't care.

Thanks again!

Beave

Major Contributor
Why those three? Seems like a really strange list - very different sizes and prices.

My answer would be none of the above. Start over with a new list (also no to Vienna Acoustics).

What amp/receiver will you be using?
Will you be using a subwoofer (or two)?
What is your budget?

You can get away with some bookshelf speakers (not all) if you're going to employ at least one subwoofer, preferably two.

If not, you'll probably need towers to fill that size space with decent bass.

Last edited:

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Beware of inflated manufacturer sensitivity ratings. Do a search for independent reviews of speakers that include sensitivity measurements and see how they compare with manufacturer claims. For example when John Atkinson measured Tekton Impact Monitors for a Stereophile review he only measured 87.5dB/2.83V/m, considerably lower than Tekton's claim of 94dB.

OP
duppy_conqueror
Why those three? Seems like a really strange list - very different sizes and prices.

My answer would be none of the above. Start over with a new list (also no to Vienna Acoustics).

What amp/receiver will you be using? Will you be using a subwoofer (or two)?
ELACs because I scoured reviews on this site and came up with that speaker being the first. If I hated them, I'd go to the Klipsch 600s. The only review I've seen that was negative was Zeos Pantera, who thought they were boring, hence Klipsch.

Zu Audio because I think they are an interesting company, they look incredible, and both the Audiophiliac and Andrew Robinson liked them, but I have yet to see a review from the Audiophiliac that was negative. They fit the floor standers with the 8"+ woofer.

Tektons got the Robinson seal of approval, they seem a great value for what they are, and also fit the 8" woofer bill.

I am skeptical of Viennas, but those are excuse to scope out the used audio shop here in Seattle.

OP
duppy_conqueror
Beware of inflated manufacturer sensitivity ratings. Do a search for independent reviews of speakers that include sensitivity measurements and see how they compare with manufacturer claims. For example when John Atkinson measured Tekton Impact Monitors for a Stereophile review he only measured 87.5dB/2.83V/m, considerably lower than Tekton's claim of 94dB.
Sounds like advice one would get on an...wait for it...Audio Science site. I do glaze over when I hear Robinson go on and on about how lush it is etc. But I must admit, other than this site, I have not found solid sources for such small manufacturers.

That "they didn't get them to me for 2 months and they were always 'almost done'" thing gives me pause on the Tektons.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
I am supposed to finally receive a pair of Zu DWs tomorrow, and they will go in a room similar to what the OP has. When I decided back in March to order the Zus I planned on trying out a flea powered tube amp, as a fun experiment, and also because the system is for my wife and she leans towards liking syrupy sound.

But during the long wait for the speakers I read a lot and joined ASR. In July I picked up a VTV Purifi Eval 1 -- a far cry from a low powered tube amp. Heck, I even DIY'd a pair of Speakon cables. I temporarily hooked the amp up to some Wharfdale 11.1 speakers and was extremely happy with the sound.

I hope to get the Zus set up this weekend or next weekend. The room is pretty reflective at some locations, and has loads of absorption at others. So it might be a few weeks before I can provide any info about if they seem okay or if I made a bad impulsive buy.

OP
duppy_conqueror
I am supposed to finally receive a pair of Zu DWs tomorrow, and they will go in a room similar to what the OP has. When I decided back in March to order the Zus I planned on trying out a flea powered tube amp, as a fun experiment, and also because the system is for my wife and she leans towards liking syrupy sound.

But during the long wait for the speakers I read a lot and joined ASR. In July I picked up a VTV Purifi Eval 1 -- a far cry from a low powered tube amp. Heck, I even DIY'd a pair of Speakon cables. I temporarily hooked the amp up to some Wharfdale 11.1 speakers and was extremely happy with the sound.

I hope to get the Zus set up this weekend or next weekend. The room is pretty reflective at some locations, and has loads of absorption at others. So it might be a few weeks before I can provide any info about if they seem okay or if I made a bad impulsive buy.
I'd love to hear your opinions on them. I also have a reflective room mostly, though we have a couch on a rug just in front of the listening area, some pictures and other mats in the room. But it is mostly hard wood and drywall with a stone fireplace right next to where the speakers will be. I'll put them up against the wall during the day (this is with any speaker) so the kids don't knock them down or anything, but when I really want to listen, I'll pull 'em out and rock.

Depending on the finish/what you paid (I'd choose the cheapest Rustic Hickory) and if I choose the Zus and if you don't like them, I'd consider jumping the line and buying them off you. But cross that bridge. I hope you just like them.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a friend who has Zu speakers, he bought them because he thought the 10'' driver would give plenty of bass. He's very disappointed with the bass performance but the wife likes the looks and won't let him change them out.

I'd go with the Elacs plus subwoofers or a good three way tower speaker myself.

peanuts

zu audio have awful FR, even worse polarrespons, no bottom end and lots of high freq distortion from the woofer. dont ever buy this crap.

frequency_on1530.gif

1009Zuefig05.jpg

Trouble Maker

If you want to go the Zu DW route, I've got a set I've been thinking about selling but mostly just haven't gotten around to it.
They are an 'extra' set. I got them mostly to try out but also fill in while my Kef LS50 wireless shipped back and forth to Japan (2+ months on each end of my assignment). I would probably keep them in the living room, and put the LS50Ws in the kitchen/dining. But I'm pretty set on selling both of them and going all in walls; 5.x.4 setup in the living room and a stereo setup in the kitchen/dining, and also on the eventual back deck. The KEFs on sound capability and a bit on size, and definitely the Zus on size would be too much in the kitchen/dining anyway.

They were decent, I got the magic people love them for on some stuff, but for me they were also pretty hot on the top end on other content. I could probably find a perfect buzz and listen to Superorganism on them and be content with music, and life, for a while.

I guess depending on where you are the shipping could be somewhat prohibitive, they are petty big, well packaged and heavy. I do still have the original boxes, which they stayed in (inside) storage while we were gone. They also have one of the lower cost finish upgrades since I didn't want speakers that look like a drunk Paul Bunyan made them... I really don't like the base finish. The finish probably won't be as big of an issue at used prices. I can't 100% tell but is the base price $1299 now and that's for either Paul Bunyan knotty (rustic) Hickory or Dead Black Hickory? IIRC it was a small upcharge when I got them in 2019.

I've also got a NAD C338 I was using to drive them. I was planning to keep it to enable the other zones since it has chromecast audio built in, but we could probably work out a good combo deal if it's easy on both ends.

I unfortunately don't have any good pictures. They are away in the basement but I can unpack and get pictures if you are interested. They are the Dead Black Hickory, I also got the rubber footers for hardwood floors.

You can see more stock images of that finish on their page.

Last edited:

Goodman

I'm looking for comments on the above speakers...I know they aren't comparable.

I've got a 25' x 30' x 8' room (living room) and I'm looking at speakers that can handle that. In this comment, Galliardist mentioned that it would be wise to go with a floorstander with an 8" or 10" woofer to get some immersion in sweet sweet orchestral music (like this Szell Sibelius 2).

The pros/cons of each one are:
  • ELACs
    • Pros: superb review by amir (he gushed over them and they're not even Revel!)
    • Cons: Might not fill up the room/sound thin in such a large room. My current Micca RB42s driven by a tiny but mighty SMSL AD18 don't really, but you don't know until you hear something different.
  • Zus
    • Pros: other people gush over them and the wife gushed over them (her exact words were, "OOOO, I like the wood.") They won't lack for power with a modest amp. Made in 'murica.
    • Cons: very very strange buying procedure and people who frequent this site are not fans.
  • Tektons
    • Pros: seem to have very similar performance (albeit with some different sound characteristics) to the Zus for significantly less. Also very efficient like the Zus. Made in 'murica.
    • Cons: This concerning report on their ability to deliver on a purchase. Wife was disappointed, yes disappointed, after seeing the Zus with this one.
Happy to take thoughts and suggestions for likes. I'm open to other speakers (for some reason the Vienna Acoustics line looks interesting but seems to get mixed reviews). And feel free to call BS on Galliardist's very thoughtful and appreciated suggestion on the room, I'm sure he doesn't care.

Thanks again!
I can give you some advice on the Zu speakers, I have never heard the other two. The dirty weekends are quite a bargain: people who bought very similar zu models a 3 times the price (like me) will confirm that. That is the Good.
The Bad:
Telling you the advantage of high efficiency, and then manufacturing speakers 12 ohms or 16 ohms; I misleading ; your 50 watt amp is now a 30 Watt amp at best.
Recommending a 15 tube amp, even of the highest quality and blessed by all the audio gurus is also misleading. 15 Watts is 15 Watts; What you get is coloration an somewhat smoother distortion characteristics. No distortion would be preferable.
So you would need to get a powerful SS amp to pair, good luck with that.
These speakers are interesting and have some outstanding qualities (difficult to describe).

OP
duppy_conqueror
I have a friend who has Zu speakers, he bought them because he thought the 10'' driver would give plenty of bass. He's very disappointed with the bass performance but the wife likes the looks and won't let him change them out.

I'd go with the Elacs plus subwoofers or a good three way tower speaker myself.
Interesting turn around of the "significant other approval factor". What! You're trading them out for THOSE??? These look so much better.

I don't know how much I care about bass, as even the positive reviews say you might need one. And the poster that suggested the 10" driver also said that I'd probably want one.

What do you consider a good three way tower? I've also thought Wharfdale Lintons which seem like an in between.

OP
duppy_conqueror
zu audio have awful FR, even worse polarrespons, no bottom end and lots of high freq distortion from the woofer. dont ever buy this crap.

frequency_on1530.gif

1009Zuefig05.jpg
Yup, this is all over the forums from the links in my original post. It also has people joking about the Zus. Something to consider.

OP
duppy_conqueror
ELAC DBR-62 all the time. They sound great and are probably cheaper than the rest.
Seems legit and what I was thinking myself. amir is a great expert source, but he hasn't reviewed the two other speakers on my list...but I suspect he would probably not recommend the Zus.

OP
duppy_conqueror
If you want to go the Zu DW route, I've got a set I've been thinking about selling but mostly just haven't gotten around to it.
They are an 'extra' set. I got them mostly to try out but also fill in while my Kef LS50 wireless shipped back and forth to Japan (2+ months on each end of my assignment). I would probably keep them in the living room, and put the LS50Ws in the kitchen/dining. But I'm pretty set on selling both of them and going all in walls; 5.x.4 setup in the living room and a stereo setup in the kitchen/dining, and also on the eventual back deck. The KEFs on sound capability and a bit on size, and definitely the Zus on size would be too much in the kitchen/dining anyway.

They were decent, I got the magic people love them for on some stuff, but for me they were also pretty hot on the top end on other content. I could probably find a perfect buzz and listen to Superorganism on them and be content with music, and life, for a while.

I guess depending on where you are the shipping could be somewhat prohibitive, they are petty big, well packaged and heavy. I do still have the original boxes, which they stayed in (inside) storage while we were gone. They also have one of the lower cost finish upgrades since I didn't want speakers that look like a drunk Paul Bunyan made them... I really don't like the base finish. The finish probably won't be as big of an issue at used prices. I can't 100% tell but is the base price $1299 now and that's for either Paul Bunyan knotty (rustic) Hickory or Dead Black Hickory? IIRC it was a small upcharge when I got them in 2019.

I've also got a NAD C338 I was using to drive them. I was planning to keep it to enable the other zones since it has chromecast audio built in, but we could probably work out a good combo deal if it's easy on both ends.

I unfortunately don't have any good pictures. They are away in the basement but I can unpack and get pictures if you are interested. They are the Dead Black Hickory, I also got the rubber footers for hardwood floors.

You can see more stock images of that finish on their page.
1) What branch are you in...I'm catching some military vibes. If Japan, probably Marines? I know they're on Okinawa. I was in the Chair Force. Thank you for your service if I'm right.

2) I'll think about the speakers...I have research to do. The wife wanted the raw Hickory, but she'd probably go for a deal. I'll wait on the pictures. I'm in Seattle, BTW. You're right on the price of that finish. I probably don't want the NAD, but again, I'll look into it. I have my heart currently set on a whole bunch of Schiit.

OP
duppy_conqueror
I can give you some advice on the Zu speakers, I have never heard the other two. The dirty weekends are quite a bargain: people who bought very similar zu models a 3 times the price (like me) will confirm that. That is the Good.
The Bad:
Telling you the advantage of high efficiency, and then manufacturing speakers 12 ohms or 16 ohms; I misleading ; your 50 watt amp is now a 30 Watt amp at best.
Recommending a 15 tube amp, even of the highest quality and blessed by all the audio gurus is also misleading. 15 Watts is 15 Watts; What you get is coloration an somewhat smoother distortion characteristics. No distortion would be preferable.
So you would need to get a powerful SS amp to pair, good luck with that.
These speakers are interesting and have some outstanding qualities (difficult to describe).
As of now, the amp will be a Schiit Vidar, but things seemingly change weekly. I think the Vidar and other on brand stuff is hot Schiit.

Top Bottom