• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

TheHighContemplator

@Robbo99999 , I have spent some more time listening, and I changed filter 10 (12140hz) to -4db and the sparkle on top is back. It was sounding a bit dull with it in place. I also changed filter 14 from 105hz to 75hz with a 0.5Q.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for doing this, I'll give it a shot today at when I head into the studio. I'd probably drop 9khz by a bit more for concha, and yeah generally the stuff above 10khz is really difficult to get a sense of, both due ever so slight positioning variation and also the fact that we're not using a 5128 haha. At the moment I take visual information up there as "there's something up there, but specifics are unclear". I should also note, Drop has kindly agreed to send another sample over for me to measure, so that should be more conclusive if it measures the same.
Cool, yep, it would be good to hear how you find the EQ and what changes you've made to it, and what you think is going on between 10-14kHz if there is indeed peaking in reality up there.

Note to both of you, I'd forgotton to attach the EqualiserAPO config file to the end of my post - I've attached it now, so you don't have to type in all the settings!

Yes, I am a bit unsure about the Filter #10 which was targetting bringing down the 10-14kHz large peaking - you can always deactivate that filter and instead use the 11000Hz High Shelf Filter to tune the high treble, just those peaks between 10-14kHz looked painful to hear! Also, rather than turning off Filter#10, you could also play about with the Gain value on that one. It'll be interesting to hear how the new Drop sample measures.
You are a champ, Mr. Robbo! This does indeed sound better. Details are all there, but it also sounds fuller, especially male vocals. The improvement, when comparing back and forth is immediately apparent. The Oratory EQ I was using sounds a little "tinny" by comparison, if that makes sense. I subtracted another db (now -2db) from filter 9 (11000hz) and boosted the 105hz low shelf by 3db and it sounds magnificent. I can't thank you enough for doing this. I tried looking for VirtuixCAD on Linux, but it doesn't seem to be available. I'm really impressed with the skills you just put on display. You should make a video about your process for generating EQ parameters as you did here. I guess the RT and X models are different. Mine do have the perforated pads, so I wonder if the RT's are using a different pad. Anyone who has a pair, please share if your ear pads are perforated of solid.

I think the discussion is highly relevant to this thread, since everywhere I look online, the RT and X are being claimed to be exactly the same. If you want to start a new thread for just these, I'll get it going and we can share your fine work.
Hey, well thanks very much, I'm glad you're enjoying the EQ, of course I can only take credit for the EQ, but it's Resolve's measurement, so that's the main part! Sure, I'm happy to have a bit more discussion in this thread on the topic, but I don't want us to monopolise the thread. If you wanted to, you could start a Drop DCA Aeon Closed X thread, where people can discuss all things related to that headphone - you could maybe introduce the headphone, provide link to manufacturer site, and just anything else you want or is of interest to you or anybody, and I'll post up my EQ in there. Give a link in this thread to your new thread if you create one so we can find it.
@Robbo99999 , I have spent some more time listening, and I changed filter 10 (12140hz) to -3db and the sparkle on top is back. It was sounding a bit dull with it in place.
Yeah, fair enough, I was wondering how much reality was reflected in the large peaking there seen on the graph, which was why I specifically mentioned trying turning it off (& adjusting that filter like you've done is certainly fine). And you were right to adjust to taste the two Shelf Filters I mentioned at 105Hz and 11000Hz.

aandres_gm

Multiple people have said they asked him and he told them they were exactly the same.

He told the lead person for Drop's lead for collaboration and development of audiophile gear, they are exactly the same.
"Dan Clark Audio confirmed that the headphones are the same except for the naming."
- This from the dude who spent time tuning the Aeon X Open with DCA. I find it strange DCA would lie to the Drop who he has a contract with. I don't really care what he said to some person on an audio forum. Cause this is how Drop is advertising the Drop X Closed, Aeon RT with different name. Otherwise IMO Drop X Closed folks should demand their money back for false advertisement.
- Drop explains in great detail how Aeon X Open differs from Aeon Flow Open or other Aeon's. So don't see why they would lie about Aeon X Closed.
Well, we know for a fact the pads are different between the X and the RT, so the full package they're selling isn't the same.

TheHighContemplator

Cool, yep, it would be good to hear how you find the EQ and what changes you've made to it, and what you think is going on between 10-14kHz if there is indeed peaking in reality up there.

Note to both of you, I'd forgotton to attach the EqualiserAPO config file to the end of my post - I've attached it now, so you don't have to type in all the settings!

Yes, I am a bit unsure about the Filter #10 which was targetting bringing down the 10-14kHz large peaking - you can always deactivate that filter and instead use the 11000Hz High Shelf Filter to tune the high treble, just those peaks between 10-14kHz looked painful to hear! Also, rather than turning off Filter#10, you could also play about with the Gain value on that one. It'll be interesting to hear how the new Drop sample measures.

Hey, well thanks very much, I'm glad you're enjoying the EQ, of course I can only take credit for the EQ, but it's Resolve's measurement, so that's the main part! Sure, I'm happy to have a bit more discussion in this thread on the topic, but I don't want us to monopolise the thread. If you wanted to, you could start a Drop DCA Aeon Closed X thread, where people can discuss all things related to that headphone - you could maybe introduce the headphone, provide link to manufacturer site, and just anything else you want or is of interest to you or anybody, and I'll post up my EQ in there. Give a link in this thread to your new thread if you create one so we can find it.

Yeah, fair enough, I was wondering how much reality was reflected in the large peaking there seen on the graph, which was why I specifically mentioned trying turning it off (& adjusting that filter like you've done is certainly fine). And you were right to adjust to taste the two Shelf Filters I mentioned at 105Hz and 11000Hz.

I created the thread. Here's the link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/drop-dan-clark-audio-aeon-closed-x.26711/

I posted your EQ, graph and my adjustments, along with the other measurements in the first post.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm everywhere I read, people are saying Dan Clark confirmed to them they are not similar, they are the same, including on the product page for Drop question/answer section.
I remember reading he said only cosmetic differences but my memory isn't that great and might well have been my interpretation. I'm not sure why they would put different drivers /pads/ padding in the same chassis for essentially the same price point. Just a colour /headband thing i reckon.

NoteMakoti

I jumped on this, hope I don't regret it.

Merkurio

Thanks for doing this, I'll give it a shot today at when I head into the studio. I'd probably drop 9khz by a bit more for concha, and yeah generally the stuff above 10khz is really difficult to get a sense of, both due ever so slight positioning variation and also the fact that we're not using a 5128 haha. At the moment I take visual information up there as "there's something up there, but specifics are unclear". I should also note, Drop has kindly agreed to send another sample over for me to measure, so that should be more conclusive if it measures the same.

Have you done the last measurements without the tuning foam inserts?

TheHighContemplator

Yeah they're all done without the inserts. I should have noted that in the image. I generally don't like using the tuning filters and prefer to just EQ.

I definitely prefer the sound on my Closed X without any filter inserts.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, we know for a fact the pads are different between the X and the RT, so the full package they're selling isn't the same.
Could you point to/ remind me how we know this please? Do we know if that applies to the open version?

Merkurio

Yeah they're all done without the inserts. I should have noted that in the image. I generally don't like using the tuning filters and prefer to just EQ.

Great!

Looking forward the next unit measurements.

ziddy76

They arrived and only 5 minute listen already made my decision.
- I found some music sound good on any headphone, regardless. Atmospheric with simple beats like Enigma or Bella Sonus sound great from any source and headphone/speaker. But where many headphones lack to me is metal. The Elegia are among the worst headphones I've ever heard for metal. Dan Clark performs splendidly.

First I listened off the EX5. I'm now listening on the the laptop output from my HP Envy x360 2020 15" ultrabook. I can confirm if anyone is worried, these are not hard to drive. I'm listening with plenty of volume at 40% output. Although in comparison I listen to HD58x at around 15% and as low as 2% at dead of night in bed.

The Elegia are going back, I don't need to audition these any longer than I already have. This is instant love. As light as my R70x. It doesn't sound like hollowed out metallic like Elegia did, which I found ironic considering the diagphragm is made of some sort of aluminum/magnesium alloy I think?
- I honestly don't think a FR graph can show what I mean, since I EQ the crap out of the Elegia. But the Dan Clark have the fullness that I expect from my headphones that the Elegia lacked.

Everything about these showed Dan Clark thought about the listening experience. This stock cable is amazing, soft rubber touch, incredibly light, great length. The pads are soft and comfortable and I can barely feel it sit on the top of my head.

The Elegia are the HEAVIEST headphones I've tried so far. The suede earpads don't feel great, it's like the worst of leather like and bad velour, kinda of rough and hot. And the clamp was mighty.

Anyway, that's all I really got to say. I was looking for a closed headphone that I could use when I don't want to use the open headphones depending on the situation.

Dan Clark put in a lot of thought into the listening experience, it really shows.

Last edited:

Winzzy

I just picked one up myself. Hopefully, the standard Schiit mini-stack with the Loki + is a decent way to drive them.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just picked one up myself. Hopefully, the standard Schiit mini-stack with the Loki + is a decent way to drive them.
Nice! That's a like for the headphone, I don't know anything about the products in your audio chain so that's the disclaimer! You'll probably want to EQ that headphone to get the best out of it, so your chain will have to have the output necessary for that overhead hopefully. I generally recommend EQ's from Oratory for EQ's to the Harman Curve, of which he has measured this headphone:
(but of course you can check out Amir's EQ too (in the review), and see how you go)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! That's a like for the headphone, I don't know anything about the products in your audio chain so that's the disclaimer! You'll probably want to EQ that headphone to get the best out of it, so your chain will have to have the output necessary for that overhead hopefully. I generally recommend EQ's from Oratory for EQ's to the Harman Curve, of which he has measured this headphone:
(but of course you can check out Amir's EQ too (in the review), and see how you go)
Loki is a tone control, so broad shelves across the spectrum. I would guess parametric eq isn't on the posters priority list.

Winzzy

Loki is a tone control, so broad shelves across the spectrum. I would guess parametric eq isn't on the posters priority list.
I would love to eventually but for my bedroom listening it is just the Loki mini+
It has bands at 20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, and 8kHz so I can get somewhat close to Amir's eq scheme. I have no idea what the Q value is on the adjustments though.

Eventually, I am considering an RME ADI-2 DAC FS 2, I am just not sure because it has no place to plug in a phono amp.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love to eventually but for my bedroom listening it is just the Loki mini+
It has bands at 20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, and 8kHz so I can get somewhat close to Amir's eq scheme. I have no idea what the Q value is on the adjustments though.

Eventually, I am considering an RME ADI-2 DAC FS 2, I am just not sure because it has no place to plug in a phono amp.
You could for instance try a proper Oratory EQ cheaply on PC by just using the free program EqualiserAPO, then if you realise you're missing out by using the rough EQ offered to you by your current stack, then consider upgrading to something that fits your usage bill but has the ability to implement full parametric EQ. This headphone is really quite a long way off from Harman tuning, so to me this headphone has a lot to gain from EQ and me personally I wouldn't use this headphone without it, but I think it has good/great potential once EQ'd.

Winzzy

You could for instance try a proper Oratory EQ cheaply on PC by just using the free program EqualiserAPO, then if you realise you're missing out by using the rough EQ offered to you by your current stack, then consider upgrading to something that fits your usage bill but has the ability to implement full parametric EQ. This headphone is really quite a long way off from Harman tuning, so to me this headphone has a lot to gain from EQ and me personally I wouldn't use this headphone without it, but I think it has good/great potential once EQ'd.
So assuming that all happens, does anyone have a favorite (inexpensive) parametric eq "separate" I can use in my chain? I don't always use my phone as my input so having something that can eq any signal source in the chain is a priority, but I can't drop tons of cash.

Top Bottom