• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer underneath desk?

AlfieFroud

My current setup is the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, NAD C298 power amp, LS50 Meta.
I would like to add a subwoofer and I was thinking the SVS SB3000. The issue I have is I can only place it under my desk as that’s where my speakers are. Would this be ok?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes.
But your speakers being under the desk is not ideal (if that is what you meant). Sub would be fine.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure under the desk will work well. It might be best to the right of left. I own SVS micro 3000 which also might work better and perhaps even under the desk.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My sub is under my desk and it works great. Definitely better than no sub.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I have tried 10" sealed and 12" sealed under my desks. 12" not as good as I could feel the sound pressure on my leg more than the 10". 10" disappears more.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like “good” crotch rattle to me.

Doctors11

I’m not sure under the desk will work well. It might be best to the right of left. I own SVS micro 3000 which also might work better and perhaps even under the desk.
With that sub firing out opposite sides would it matter if they fire L and R compared to Front to Back? I'm talking about under a desk.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some companies sell their subs in a kind of coffee table design and at least 1 manufacturer is represented at ASR, so should be ok.

1632052920455.png

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Putting a sub under your desk will work great. You will have to adjust your sub volume so it doesn't localize it as all coming from under your desk, but that is easy to do. An SVS Micro 3000 is a lot of bang for your buck. Compare it to the SB3000 and see which you like better regarding price versus frequency response. Sound like you will have an amazing desk sound system!

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I currently have to keep my subwoofer very close to my listening position (~1 meter) due to various constraints. I find the result isn't great because I can feel the bass being transmitted through the floor to my feet. It's somewhat annoying/distracting and also makes spectral balance more difficult to achieve: I had to attenuate the sub by 1 dB to compensate for the sensation of excess bass being transmitted that way.

On the other hand, keeping the subwoofer close by is a good way to mitigate room modes: there comes a point where the subwoofer is so close that its direct sound dominates the standing waves.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
My sub is under the desk, with the monitors on top; it works like a charm.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Sub under desk for myself as well, tried it in a few positions around the room but it sounds best where it is. Prob going to replace my krk 10s sub with a Dynaudio 18s dual sub when my Dynaudio lyd 48’s arrive

50933083712_9999f45162_k.jpg

Frgirard

Major Contributor
My current setup is the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, NAD C298 power amp, LS50 Meta.
I would like to add a subwoofer and I was thinking the SVS SB3000. The issue I have is I can only place it under my desk as that’s where my speakers are. Would this be ok?
It's a common practice in studio. Take care to protect the sub from accidental kicking.

Top Bottom