• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Music1969

Major Contributor
No guitar input included. :p

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 11.17.08 am.png

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
No way. The DSP's computing power is limited.

Wouldn't there be a possibility of getting 10 PEQ bands with the current DSP chip if certain restrictions are made - for example up to 96kHz sample rate with loudness, bass/treble and crossfeed disabled? I'm sure many will appreciate such a configuration (and can finally stop pestering you about it in the forums ;P)

edahl

Has anyone used this with the Susvara? What would you recommend to complement it in case it's a bit short?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone used this with the Susvara? What would you recommend to complement it in case it's a bit short?

I tried it once at a meet and had to crank the RME pretty high but I don't think I wrote down the exact level. It probably won't have the headroom for EQ unless you never listen loudly.

The ADI-2 Pro will let you run it balanced for more power if you can find/make a dual TRS cable for your Susvara.

Beyond that, the Topping A90 would be a safe choice. Impeccable performance and tons of power from the balanced output.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a way to tell the difference between revisions?
I would guess the box might state it and all major retailers are almost certainly selling the "new" and the better ones probably should state on the listing /specs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081CWQXGD/
This Amazon listing doesn't state whether it's new or not, unless I'm missing something.
Agreed. Doesn't mention which DAC chip etc.

I think the RME stance is that it really doesn't matter, but I would like to see clarity from retailers as to which one it is. Especially when multiple sellers may use the same listing on amazon.

amper42

Major Contributor
Is there a way to tell the difference between revisions?

The version of the RME ADI-2 FS DAC is not printed on the box. It is shown on the back serial number of the unit in the form of a sticker. If it has a "B" listed after the serial number it's the AK4493 chip and you have the larger remote and SD filter. If it has a "C" after the serial number you have the ESS chip.

Here is what the RME User's Guide page 4 discloses about versions:
"ADI-2 DACs with AK4493 and ES9028Q2M are neither sonically nor visually easily distinguishable. However, the ESS version is recognized by a small C at the end of the serial number sticker (B stood for AKM 4493). Furthermore, the units differ in the available filters. The unit with AKM has a filter called Short Delay Low Dispersion, while the one with ESS has a filter called Brick- wall (the other filters, SD Sharp, SD Slow, Sharp, Slow, NOS, are identical). Further Chip dependent differences are mentioned in this manual."

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The version of the RME ADI-2 FS DAC is not printed on the box. It is shown on the back serial number of the unit in the form of a sticker. If it has a "B" listed after the serial number it's the AK4493 chip and you have the larger remote, SD filter and the option for amber meter display lights. If it has a "C" after the serial number you have the ESS chip.
Of little to no use to the Internet shopper then.

amper42

Major Contributor
The various RME ADI-2 FS DAC versions are not sold as different products. RME goes to great length to make sure they all sound great. However, it's nice to be able to differentiate which version you have. Otherwise, you would never know. :).
The price tag is pretty high on this DAC so it's certainly possible some "B" versions may still be in the retail chain.

MrEWhite

The version of the RME ADI-2 FS DAC is not printed on the box. It is shown on the back serial number of the unit in the form of a sticker. If it has a "B" listed after the serial number it's the AK4493 chip and you have the larger remote and SD filter. If it has a "C" after the serial number you have the ESS chip.

Here is what the RME User's Guide page 4 discloses about versions:
"ADI-2 DACs with AK4493 and ES9028Q2M are neither sonically nor visually easily distinguishable. However, the ESS version is recognized by a small C at the end of the serial number sticker (B stood for AKM 4493). Furthermore, the units differ in the available filters. The unit with AKM has a filter called Short Delay Low Dispersion, while the one with ESS has a filter called Brick- wall (the other filters, SD Sharp, SD Slow, Sharp, Slow, NOS, are identical). Further Chip dependent differences are mentioned in this manual."
I bought one brand new yesterday from Amazon and got the AKM4493 version in the mail today. Serial number ends in B.

MrEWhite

Sounds like I need to do the update, is it easy enough for a non-computer type person such as me?
Yes, all you have to do is install the driver from their site, install that, then download the firmware update, run it, then click start. Super easy.

Top Bottom