• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Asimov Foundation

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm interested in it, but wonder if I'll be able to get past their casting of important roles in the books in a different gender. Race is irrelevant, as nothing is mentioned in the books, so that casting won't make any impact with me.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The Old "Dune" was awful too !

I read foundation a while ago... I'll wait. I do like Villeneuve. I' did love Arrival.. even after many viewings.
Don't know, I didn't dislike the first half of the old one, but it rushed like crazy after that; basically, it put ~20% of the first novel in that half, then had to do something about the remaining 80%, an obvious massacre.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
On that note, did Wells' Invisible Man ever get a worthy (not Hollywoodian) adaption?

Nope. I'm hoping against hope that they'll never get to destroying my favorite novel, Stranger In A Strange Land.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm going to spring for apple TV for hank's WWII destroyer movie, but Foundation (and a few others) help tip the scale.
Also, just got my HT system working reliably again (via Oppo player), and I see that JRiver now supports Netflix - good stuff.
Definitley will look for the new Dune movie (can't be 'worse' that the last one?).
Agree that a lot of Heinleins stuff would be hard to do visuals for well (Stranger in a Strange Land)..did anyone ever do Moon is a Harsh Mistress?

I'd love for a half way decently done Ringworld (series) - that book 'informed' my youth and got me into physics and math, thinking I might 'go there' someday (orbiting colonies were all the rage in space magazines back then), but nope, society and gov't pooped all over that idea...until now when we FINALLY have self landing rockets and at least SOME Mars goals!
(I did get to help a tiny bit on the neutrino mine experiment that won a nobel prize, and other drift chamber builds for FermiLab, tho:)

Expanse I think reset expectations about how well a hard science SF show can be done - hoping for the best, anyway.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On that note, did Wells' Invisible Man ever get a worthy (not Hollywoodian) adaption? Same with Burroughs' A Princess of Mars. In the end, I doubt we'll ever get anything faithful to old material in a modern movie.

PS: the new Dune seems awful

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a list of classic scifi that was not screwed up in transition from book to movies and TV:
Your list is incomplete. Imo, there is the rare instance of the movie being better than the book. I'm referring to the first Bladerunner movie. Originally Do androids dream of electric sheep I think being the print title.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
Here's a list of classic scifi that was not screwed up in transition from book to movies and TV:
2010 was pretty good and “The Martian” is totally awesome.

The 1982 version of “The Thing” is excellent and “The Day The Earth Stood Still” is classic.

But otherwise, yes.

Asimov has been pretty butchered.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
I have seen the character list and I am not impressed.

Plus the casting of Hari Seldon disagrees with me. Hari is thoughtful and scholarly, not sinister.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
“The Day The Earth Stood Still” is classic.

But really, that was adapted from the Christian Bible, not a sci-fi story. The remake was remarkably dreadful.

I'm a huge Clarke fan, but let's face it, 2010 was a mediocre book, not a classic. And of course, 2001 (which was brilliant) was a movie before it was a book.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
But really, that was adapted from the Christian Bible, not a sci-fi story. The remake was remarkably dreadful.

I'm a huge Clarke fan, but let's face it, 2010 was a mediocre book, not a classic. And of course, 2001 (which was brilliant) was a movie before it was a book.

The Day The Earth Stood Still is based on the story ““Farewell to the Master”.

We obviously have different feelings about 2010.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
It follows the Jesus story more closely. :cool:
Jesus didn’t have a spaceship and a robot.

Klaatu is only temporarily revived while Jesus lives forever. That is a huge difference.

Yes there is Biblical allegory but so what? Foundation is inspired by the Fall of Rome but hardly follows it precisely.

For example, the fall of the Trantorian Empire doesn’t start with a plague like the Antonine Plague which played a key role in the start of the fall of the Roman Empire.

But it is very clear to me that you are one of those people that never changes your mind or admits you were wrong about anything.

So I end this discussion with you, it is pointless. You can ramble on all you want.

Bye!

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
the only thing that bothers me is....it's too long of an epic to be viable to put on screen, tbh (isn't the story spanned like over 17 books, some of them even being only unofficialy tied directly into the series?)
sooner or later, not counting in all the efforts being put into it, there's gonna come a financial crunch which will halt production and it'll be left hanging mid story (i'm still pi**ed at the brits for not moving further with '05s Hitchikers guide which had the exact visuals i envisioned while reading the books)

Top Bottom