• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's an upgrade for Hd660s actually worth doing?

bloodevil

My current setup is:
Amp: Topping A50s
Dac: Topping E30
Sennheiser HD660s

I like my 660s a lot but I'm willing to spend more for something noticeably better, what would you suggest?
First headphones that come to mind are Focal clear/HD800s, are they a good upgrade? If so, which one would you recommend for someone that likes the 660s (EQ to harman) a lot?
If you think those two are not worth the upgrade please recommend me something else, even if it's more expensive I will try to save if it's actually worth it!
Thanks a lot in advance :)
Edit: for "noticeably better" I mean something that I can easily tell it's better than my current 660s, that doesn't require me to focus to just feel a better sound

Last edited:
OP
B

bloodevil

"Better", or "Different"? Could you be more objective?
Better! I can immediately tell the difference between my AirPods and my 660s in terms of quality. I mean they are obviously different as well but the 660s are objectively better.
I’m looking for something objectively better than the 660s, I do realize it will also be “different” but you get the point I think.
I did not expect to read that there’s nothing objectively better than the 660s, I’m not sure if I’m happy or disappointed tbh ahah

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Better! I can immediately tell the difference between my AirPods and my 660s in terms of quality. I mean they are obviously different as well but the 660s are objectively better.
I’m looking for something objectively better than the 660s, I do realize it will also be “different” but you get the point I think.
I did not expect to read that there’s nothing objectively better than the 660s, I’m not sure if I’m happy or disappointed tbh ahah

NONONO, I was saying for HD660s, there is no DAC AMP combo will sound noticeably better. As for HD660s itself, next step in price range are Aeon RT, Elex, HD6 SEv2(when on sale).

Edit: I thought you were going to upgrade to better gear to make HD660s better.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I've used the HD600, HD6xx, HD700. Basically used Sennheiser since around 2004.
My current setup is the HD800S with the Kameleon eq + a schiit loki mini plus eq where the 20hz bass knob is boosted a tiny bit. The Kameleon eq corrected the annoying treble tone. The schiit gave me that extra punch, bass extension I was craving. My amp is the Emotiva Bas-x A-100. The sound is a large step up from the HD600. It is noticeable man. The amp also plays a significant role. People tell you not much power is needed, but this amp is the first one I've heard that has all the power I would want to make it sound great (subjective impressions here, no dbt performed).

In terms of the HD700 it's also a step up in these areas. Can get significantly louder. Goes significantly deeper - this is the most notable bit full range sound with lots of impact. Soundstage is a somewhat larger and more cohesive..
Is it worth it? Well without the two eq's no - you should just go with the HD700 with the modhouse audio $15 reversible mod. It's gets you most of the way minus the bass extension.
With the two eqs the HD800S is my end-game setup but I won't lie. I think something that costs this much should not need eq (but it does). It's still iconic sound imo that never fails to impress me.

Wegi76

My current setup is:
Sennheiser HD660s

I like my 660s a lot but I'm willing to spend more for something noticeably better, what would you suggest?
First headphones that come to mind are Focal clear/HD800s, are they a good upgrade? If so, which one would you recommend for someone that likes the 660s (EQ to harman) a lot?
If you think those two are not worth the upgrade please recommend me something else, even if it's more expensive I will try to save if it's actually worth it!
Edit: for "noticeably better" I mean something that I can easily tell it's better than my current 660s, that doesn't require me to focus to just feel a better sound

Puh, the HD660S EQed to harman an the Clear EQed to harman don`t sound massively different in my opinion. A much bigger and immediately noticeable step up for me was the Arya. Like the 800S (as I read) it provides a much more 3-dimensional stage, and bass response ist on a differnent level. If you have the money for a 800S you maybe should try a good planar too.

makinao

I was hoping for more objective comments like "I'd like less THD below 100hz", or "smoothing out the peak at 10k, but leaving the shimmer at 12k intact", or "I could do with a deeper cup for my large ears". Until then, one can only guess what you consider "better".

Last edited:
OP
B

bloodevil

I was hoping for more objective comments like "I'd like less THD below 100hz", or "smoothing out the peak at 10k, but leaving the shimmer at 12k intact", or "I could do with a deeper cup for my large ears". Until then, one can only guess what you consider "better".
I know I will sound repetitive but: what I mean is that regardless of FR I’m looking for something that provides higher quality sound. Maybe a more accurate explanation would be: something that, when equalized to the same exact FR of HD660S (or close enough) sounds distinctly better. This is something that definitely happens if I change the FR of a very cheap headphone to the FR of my HD660S and then compare them, my HD660S are just better, English is not my first language but better is the only word that comes to mind when I think about it

Zensō

Major Contributor
The HD800S has a unique presentation that many feel is a big step up from the HD660S. For you it will depend upon how much you value a wide soundstage, precise instrument separation, and treble clarity, which are its strongest attributes.

Last edited:

AML

My current setup is:
Sennheiser HD660s

the 660s was one of my first headphones, but I always found them to be dark and even veiled. They just werent for me. I did give them a chance. I listened to them exclusively for a few months. But then I went to a sennheiser show room and tried the HD800S, and was instantly hooked. I sold my HD660s and got the 800S. No regrets. Since then I also got some Hifiman Aryas, and more recently Focal Clear Pros (non MG) and things got better with each headphone I tried.
The Aryas are good all rounders. The HD800S have that soundstage. The Clears have good bass, and feel warmer and more intimate. But never veiled. They all complement each other really well. Only way for me to go now is HE1000V2 or SE, or Susvaras. I might try the Utopias too.

Anyway, thats just me. I would recomend you try some different headphones and see if they appeal to you over the 660s.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
Compared to my average soundstage headphones, the HD 800S excel at spatial perception. It is very noticeable, and even more at lower volumes. Bass does not feel as visceral, but it is around the same volume even as my EQd LCD-X (except low bass, Luke the one used for hip hop). It is incredible how clear and spacious it can sound.

MRC01

Major Contributor
If "that's worth doing" means at a reasonable or comparable price, nothing.
Objectively speaking, the main limitation of the 660 is low bass: it's attenuated and if you lift it back to neutral it becomes less tight/crisp.
That said, few headphones do everything right that the 660 does, and have tighter cleaner bass. None I know of at its price range. For that kind of clean tight bass you need a planar and the ones in the 660 price range don't do the mids or treble as well as the 660.

OP
B

bloodevil

If "that's worth doing" means at a reasonable or comparable price, nothing.
Objectively speaking, the main limitation of the 660 is low bass: it's attenuated and if you lift it back to neutral it becomes less tight/crisp.
That said, few headphones do everything right that the 660 does, and have tighter cleaner bass. None I know of at its price range. For that kind of clean tight bass you need a planar and the ones in the 660 price range don't do the mids or treble as well as the 660.
I didn’t mean at a comparable price at all! I’m willing to spend ~1200€ which is ~x4 what I paid my 660s.
I would also consider spending more if for example there’s a much better option for 1500€ compared to the 1200 range ones!
I’m definitely not in a hurry cause as I said I enjoy my 660S, I will save if needed (and it’s worth it)

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
I didn’t mean at a comparable price at all! I’m willing to spend ~1200€ which is ~x4 what I paid my 660s.
I would also consider spending more if for example there’s a much better option for 1500€ compared to the 1200 range ones!
I’m definitely not in a hurry cause as I said I enjoy my 660S, I will save if needed (and it’s worth it)
What are you looking for in a headphone? If I know what you value, I may be able to help.

OP
B

bloodevil

What are you looking for in a headphone? If I know what you value, I may be able to help.
I’m not sure I will be able to express myself properly cause I’m not a native English speaker but I’ll try: Often when I’m listening to a song and there’s a part with a lot of different instruments+vocal in it I feel like I’m “overwhelmed” by the different sounds mixing with each other and can’t really appreciate them. It’s definitely not something that ruins the experience or that I would call “muddy” sound but that’s the main thing I would like to change.
If it’s helpful the only genre that I almost don’t listen at all is rap/anything similar musically.
Another reason I find it hard to know what I actually want is that where I live I don’t know any shop that allows you to try headphones so I don’t really have a comparison in my mind other than my 660 and random cheap headphones here and there. I do like the 660 though

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
I’m not sure I will be able to express myself properly cause I’m not a native English speaker but I’ll try: Often when I’m listening to a song and there’s a part with a lot of different instruments+vocal in it I feel like I’m “overwhelmed” by the different sounds mixing with each other and can’t really appreciate them. It’s definitely not something that ruins the experience or that I would call “muddy” sound but that’s the main thing I would like to change.
If it’s helpful the only genre that I almost don’t listen at all is rap/anything similar musically.
Another reason I find it hard to know what I actually want is that where I live I don’t know any shop that allows you to try headphones so I don’t really have a comparison in my mind other than my 660 and random cheap headphones here and there. I do like the 660 though
You would actually benefit from the HD 800 series. They take the instruments from the front and place them in a more expensive place. They have this 'ability' to layer things differently than my other headphones. They separate instruments very well in my opinion. Worth a look in my opinion.

adman_girvan

Depends on how much you want to spend. I think the 800S is a clear improvement spatially, and especially with EQ, but it's 3 times the price almost.

Top Bottom