• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Gallium Nitride amplifier] Impressions of the Mini Gan 5 by Premium Audio, pictures / video inside

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I'm a noob here, it hasn't taken me long to realise that "sounds better" and "particular sound signature" type statements are meaningless here at ASR unless supported by blind ABX testing.

I think you’ll find they are meaningless in any circle where reason prevails.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't you think there's any chance than this:
Before starting, I recall what theoretically could bring GaN VS traditional silicon transistors (to take up what was mentioned by Orchard Audio) :
Less harshness
Cleaner highs
Better transparency
Higher detail
had an influence on this...
This Mini Gan of me, sounds globally better than the Hypex Ncore,
?

I would say that they have a rather particular sound signature for class D, a bit like for the Sabaj A20a which I reviewed here.
To me, Ncores are sounding 100% transparent. So... if this sounds whatever different or particular, then, it sounds worse. Just sayin'

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
First I want to reassure everyone, I have no action at Premium Audio in the same way as I have none at Sabaj).
I share my impressions and I am always in search of new products ... it is in a way my passion)

When I had done the same with the Sabaj A20A it turns out that many people were skeptical and the same with the LEAF Dual DAC that I introduced to enthusiasts on dyaudio and ASR.
In the end, I found myself receiving messages with thanks or positive reviews so that many people ended up acquiring the Sabaj A20A and were amazed by its performance. Which makes me say somewhere, that my experience in testing class D amp is not that bad, see my review of the Sabaj A20a in Diyaudio.com and all feedbacks)

Still it is: I asked the manufacturer of the Mini Gan 5 to register in the forum, since he knows his product better than anyone)
I am sure of one thing, it is that this Mini Gan 5 sounds monstrously good and that it does not blush at all even in front of my Purifi.

At the same time, to erase my subjectivity, I will be exhibiting the Mini Gan 5 in the showroom of the "Maison du Loudspeaker", a well-known store in France in Paris and Lyon. I hope to collect as many opinions as possible )

Thanks guys

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First I want to reassure everyone, I have no action at Premium Audio in the same way as I have none at Sabaj).
I share my impressions and I am always in search of new products ... it is in a way my passion)

When I had done the same with the Sabaj A20A it turns out that many people were skeptical and the same with the LEAF Dual DAC that I introduced to enthusiasts on dyaudio and ASR.
In the end, I found myself receiving messages with thanks or positive reviews so that many people ended up acquiring the Sabaj A20A and were amazed by its performance. Which makes me say somewhere, that my experience in testing class D amp is not that bad, see my review of the Sabaj A20a in Diyaudio.com and all feedbacks)

Still it is: I asked the manufacturer of the Mini Gan 5 to register in the forum, since he knows his product better than anyone)
I am sure of one thing, it is that this Mini Gan 5 sounds monstrously good and that it does not blush at all even in front of my Purifi.

At the same time, to erase my subjectivity, I will be exhibiting the Mini Gan 5 in the showroom of the "Maison du Loudspeaker", a well-known store in France in Paris and Lyon. I hope to collect as many opinions as possible )

Thanks guys

You can’t erase your subjectivity; it’s hard wired into the computational infrastructure of the human brain. Only experimental controls can sort the wheat from the chaff on this one.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Getting a load of opinions won't do anything to get rid of subjectivity. All it will do is bring the subjectivity of a load of random strangers into play.

This is not what ASR is about. This whole thread is the exact opposite.

Measurements, and Blind listening tests at your showroom - or you might as well go to a different forum. You are only achieiving turning people off the product here.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Yeah the heatsinks look like decorations. Whats up with that
The decorations explanation only makes sense if you take the top off and look inside. Not likely for the average user and they already have the blue LED's for show. So why put them in there? This type transistors don't really need them it seems, but restricting air flow a bit might be doing something. Possibly better thermal stability by reducing temperature swings. Maybe should call them "anti-heat sinks" instead. Perhaps the OEM will provide an explanation detailing the engineering reasons.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Less harshness
Cleaner highs
Better transparency
Higher detail
How many dB of these things? :p

There are already amplifiers that are transparent - No audible noise or distortion, and audibly flat frequency response. You can't improve on that (unless you want to intentionally alter the sound by boosting the bass or adding "desirable distortion" something like that.)

You can build a good amplifier with tubes, discrete components or integrated circuits, regular BJTs or MOSFETs, etc. But there are various design & economic trade-offs (for example, it's very expensive to make a good high-power tube amp). To the end-user it's a "black box" and it doesn't really matter what's inside, except the end-user will get poor energy efficiency with tubes or Class-A amps, etc. But of course, power-output and efficiency can be measured without knowing what's inside.

From my limited understanding, GaN devices are very-good at high frequencies which should make it easier (and hopefully eventually cheaper) to make a good Class-D amplifier.

discrete amp with about 600 parts on it
That seems rather un-economical.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi amigos,

Got my Mini Gan amp. As usual, it is with pleasure that I share my enthusiasm and some first impressions ) Before starting, I recall what theoretically could bring GaN VS traditional silicon transistors (to take up what was mentioned by Orchard Audio) :

Less harshness
Cleaner highs
Better transparency
Higher detail

This is because GaN transistors have much better characteristics over their silicon counterparts:

Increased slew rate
Reduced ringing
Faster switching
Faster overload recovery

Amplifier performance is improved by the use of GaN technology:

Decreased noise
Less distortion
Better transient response
Higher bandwidth

So all this is in the form but in fact what does it looks like? To avoid price / performance ratio debates, I just want to remind you that Gan Amps are not widely used and it is clear that we are paying a high price at the start (And prices will go up with the shortage of electronic components). But to put it in perspective, the closest competitor to the Mini Gan 5 is probably the Peachtree G400, which shares very similar specs @ $3000. and count about 1000 euros for a Mini Gan 5 exported to Europe.

Another point to note: Premium audio is part of ClassDaudio, the Mini Gan is made in the USA (CA).
I ve been told that the team spent about 3 years in R&D for this amp. Keep in mind that this is a discrete amp with about 600 parts on it !

I received the last version, with a green PCB, against red PCB on the first revisions. There were only minor evolutions on the PCB and on they only update the inductors. For the rest, everything is the same. Premium Audio announces a 600W SMPS Bipolar LLC PSU it remains to be confirmed... =) PSU MOSFET : FDPF18N50T = 18 A 500 V with no heatsink, so probably less...

The amp is really well cut and very compact, comes in a gray aluminum case, with a powder paint. It's sober, it seems solid.

On the other hand, I deplore the minimalist packaging, poorly protected and no IEC power cable included. What a pity in terms of the customer window...
Not sure about the needs of heatsink see the pictures below and you will understand )

One thing that's really cool is the ability to adjust the gain - 26dB, 28dB, and 32dB It can be easily associated with any type of DAC / preamp )

Here the spec and global measures :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.004%
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz : 0.005%
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz : 0.008%
SNR: 108dB Unweighted 110dB A-weighted

Gallium Nitride Class D Amplifier
Fully balanced, dual Mono configuration
discrete amp with about 600 parts on it
Buffer : OPA LM4562
RMS Power Per Channel 8 Ohms 200 WRMS Continuous (400W Peak)
RMS Power Per Channel 4 Ohms 300 WRMS Continuous (500W Peak)
Power Supply 600W Bipolar LLC Resonant Converter
Input Sensitivity 2 VRMS
Frequency Response 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.5 dB
Input Impedance RCA 100K
Input Impedance XLR 100K
Voltage Gain Adjustable - 26dB, 28dB, and 32dB
Power Requirements 190VAC or 264VAC
Dimensions (W x D x H) Inches 9.75" X 7.5" X 2"
Dimensions (W x D x H) Millimeters 248 X 178 X 51
Product Weight (lbs/kg) 5/2.3
Made in the USA

My Setup :

Gustard A18 AK4499 Dac > Fully balanced mode
Source : Audio HD files
Player : LG V30 via LDAC BT
Mini Gan amplifier @ Medium Gain > balanced inputs
Handemade Floor speakers @ 93DB / 2.5 way with Ribbon tweeters
SC-Orbit 240 MKII cables

Regarding listening, I took some reference titles with which I am used to juggling, in particular with my Hypex Ncore, Sabaj Dual Merus and my Purifi.
I listen to a lot of things, I love Jazz and I love electro pop, rock and latin music. I have been a musician for years and beyond acoustic measures, I appreciate "the tonal and musical" properties of an amp, which the Sabaj A20 has done very well!

Fausto Mesolella > Van Gogh
it is a title which is really close to my heart, with a sublime orchestration and this "typical Italian voice" which has always made me vibrate. By the way; I used this title when I exhibited DrMordor's TPA3255 in the showroom of "la maison du hauteur", a well-known store in France.

Yellowjackets and WDR Big Band > Downtown
Complex title, it often puts the amps to the test. I like to listen to it at a sustained volume, it is a rhythmic piece full of life.

Drums&Percussion Hi Res > That's because I'm a drummer and I'm very sensitive to the transcription of percussions, cymbals and rides etc, anything that sings at the top of the spectrum) My ears are rather expert therefore even despite my 43 years =))))

On these few titles of references, here is what I can tell you hastily, knowing that I received the amplifier recently and that it turned around ten hours.
What I feel, I wouldn't go into the subjectivity debate !

Very first point: the amp is absolutely dead silent, just like the Sabaj A20 or my Purifi and Hypex.

Treble and highs notes :

It is very balanced and on all the titles. It naturally sounds good. Compared to the Sabaj A20, where I had to adjust the treble slightly, here the re-transcription of rides, cymbals and high notes is simply natural and very clean.

On the track "Downtown", the highest notes stand out well from the rest of the mix. I would say that compared to the Sabaj A20, it stands out more on the front of the stage. Both amps are excellent here; I prefer them to my Hypex Ncore.

Medium :

It's very good, Fausto Mesolella's voice is transcribed very naturally, it stands out well in the mix. All the same observation here: we are more on the front of the stage compared to the Sabaj A20. So I would tend to think that the Soundstage of the Mini Gan is more centered (so to speak) or we could just as well say that the opening of the soundstage is less wide. In any case the Mediums are very good and it does not blush in the face of the Purifi for example.

Bass :

This is where we feel the potential of this Mini Gan, it's very "punchy" and full of reserve. I think the advertised 200W / 8R is there ... but to be measured. I pushed it yesterday at high volume, without destroying my timpans; it's clean, very clean, the bass is present with a super nice balance. I think my speakers go really well with this Mini Gan here and in all sincerity I love what I hear! I would confirm this feeling after listening to electro pop). In any case, I am a step above my Hypex Ncore modules and the same observation for the Sabaj A20

Soundstage :

Regarding this point, I think the Sabaj A20 is really a little bomb; especially with regard to its price)
The Mini Gan is great too, but keep in mind that it "swings" more on the front of the stage. And I think the LM4562 op amps has a lot to do with it. It might be a little more natural with respect to a close listening for example

To conclude :

The Mini Gan: it is a very transparent amp and full of reserve (really powerful). In my opinion it can drive a good number of speakers. It's an amp that sounds straight with no harshness and a very wide bandwidth.
I was particularly amazed by its potential for listening at sustained volume, where it is excellent at the lower end of the spectrum with clean and well present bass.

As for its price, I'll let you judge ... )

Videos :

https://streamable.com/mt8ymp

https://streamable.com/kyus8z

Pictures :

Very pretty-what are those beautiful gold machined things-heatsinks? How did you feel this amp compared to the Purifi?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Your passion and sound descriptive writing are admirable ;), however the parameters are nothing special :).

Orchard:

1631979557813.png

Purifi:

1631979684453.png

So there's nothing particularly special about this amp.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Zoomer

It's a cult. Have a look at some of the TPA amp threads where OP is very active. People over there convice each other that using a different set of screws in their diy amp build brings the sound to a different level.
And in this congregation of tinkerists never a measurement intrudes.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I'd be prepared to bet they're not thermally connected to anything in that one either. The components don't allow it. I suspect a design change to the chokes (they are different - probably cheaper) resulted in vibration problems, so they repositioned the decorative heatsinks to give somthing to glue them to.

Hummmm seems to be the best answer )
Still waiting for the fair response from Premium Audio. Will share the answer asap ....

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Your passion and sound descriptive writing are admirable ;), however the parameters are nothing special :).

Not the best measurements I agree )
We got no measurements for the Saba A20aj but many people bought it and came into the conclusion that is an incredible amplifier specially for its tonal properties....

Any US people here living in CA ? Should be nice to test the Mini Gan 5 and share your opinion )

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
A transparent amplifier doesn't have tonal properties. That is what transparent means. Flat frequency response, no distortion.

Agree. But question for you : Do you think the Purifi is transparent ? The same for the TPA3255 and for the MA12070 ?

Top Bottom