• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low distortion is the goal, not smooth FR

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of interest, have you ever heard ATC speakers, particularly larger active models?

No I haven't. The pattern i noticed is that (boutique speakers excluded ofcourse) the more expensive the speaker is the more like the company invested in materials that would damp the cabinet and stop it from buzzing and shaking.

MDF, plastics and cheap vinyl finish is almost a guarantee imo that the speaker will experience audible cabinet resonances at some point.

Plywood, vasoelastic damping material and things that considerably diminish cabinet resonances are considered 'premium' since they don't show up in a show room and they don't effect the aesthetics.

I have a Sansui speaker from the 70s, made with Oak, weighs around 25KG and STILL I can hear audible resonances (mostly using test tones). I know it's a cabinet resonance because once i put my hand on the cabinet or increase the mass further it disappeared.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha NS 1000Ms

Unobtainium, but i would love to own a pair :rolleyes:

I'm curious what the context of the question is, in relation to the kit you already own going by your signature? I'd have thought the ATC SCM19 V2s that you own may not be a bad shout for what you asked for...

Indeed, i believe that the SCM19v2 is outstanding in terms of distortion. I can hear a lot more details than with anything else i had before. But maybe something better is out there? I suspect that ATCs 3 way speakers would be liked by me, but they cost a fortune.

I'm also curious why you're not interested in the frequency response. Is it becasue you don't think it matters or because you're taking the view that you can use EQ to 'fix' this?

Yes, i think we can EQ most FR problems away.

Get some good quality pro drivers, a nice waveguide and make a real solid, well-damped box with constrained layer damping. Fiddle the response as good as you can and off you go to audio bliss.

Low distortion and high power handling for 1000? Rare breed, I suspect. Better make it yourself.

Yet another DIY project? Oh boy ;-) Anyway, i don't need high power handling, just very low distortion and almost no resonances, please. I still have hopes that such a speaker exists.

Sounds like an Econowave in a solid damped cabinet - that would be my first thought for under $1000. With plenty of sensitivity and low distortion, you can deploy some EQ later if needed.

On the list now.:cool: Never heard about them.

You are looking for active or passive speakers?

Doesn't matter.

I'd recommend having a look at Focal active monitors + any closed box 8"+ sub. You can still get the previous generation of Focal Alpha 50 at amazing prices in pro audio stores.

On the list now.:cool:

Why do you care about distortion and not smooth FR?

FR can be solved with a MiniDSP, missing low end with a subwoofer, distortion can't be fixed and will always smudge over details.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FR can be solved with a MiniDSP, missing low end with a subwoofer, distortion can't be fixed and will always smudge over details.
Please keep in mind that directivity problems also cannot be fixed by EQ and DSP so they should be also on the top of your priority list.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please keep in mind that directivity problems also cannot be fixed by EQ and DSP so they should be also on the top of your priority list.
True.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Interesting - I agree with you on the subwoofer for compensating for the low end. EQ isn't as easy and straightforward as one might think, particularly if the off-axis response is not the same as the on-axis, when you don't have the ability to measure in an anechoic chamber or take time-gated measurements, and when you realize that a target curve is actually a target zone with a degree of variation. My pair of Genelec 8351Bs are very low distortion, and even with studio-grade computerized EQ (the GLM system) and adding a 13" sub, I still can't surpass a pair of B&W towers sitting in my living room.

temps

Dynaudio LYD 5

Nicely controlled directivity, lowest distortion 5" monitor tested on here, flat FR, and cheap

Problem solved. Chronically overlooked speaker on here, which is weird because it's the 5th best speaker ever tested here and the cheapest in the top 10...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I know most of you are on a quest to get the smoothest frequency response possible. My quest however is about about low compression and distortion, as well as lack of resonances.

Any speakers that don't cost much, say less than 1000, that i should look into? They don't have to be full range either, down to 80 or so is plenty.
A non-flat frequency response is linear distortion.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, i don't need high power handling, just very low distortion and almost no resonances, please. I still have hopes that such a speaker exists.
You already own a pair that meets this specification, just turn the volume down, instant lower distortion and lower compression.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dynaudio LYD 5

On the list now, i'm also looking into the Dynaudio LYD 7.

You already own a pair that meets this specification, just turn the volume down, instant lower distortion and lower compression.

They cost about 3200€, i had hoped to find something below 1000€.

temps

On the list now, i'm also looking into the Dynaudio LYD 7.
That's what I had. Very clean, but not as linear as some of these other monitors or even the LYD 5.

Worth noting, the LYD hiss quite audibly. Mine were about 37dB at the tweeter - if you sit fairly close, like I did (3') it can be quite annoying. I did like my LYD 7s a lot but I replaced them already.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My quest however is about about low compression and distortion, as well as lack of resonances.
Frequency response errors are distortion, albeit categorized as linear distortion. You are looking to minimize nonlinearities (nonlinear distortion), that is, modifications of a signal that add new frequencies (such as harmonic and intermodulation distortion). Personally, in my search of transducers, I value the reduction of both types of distortion. Good FR and nonlinearity measurements assure me that the transducer is well-made and scientific principles were followed.

Ultrasonic

They cost about 3200€, i had hoped to find something below 1000€.

But you already have the ATCs?

I'm surprised how expensive your ATCs are in Germany though, as the current UK price is £2300 for a pair.

Ultrasonic

TabCam

The JBL Stage A130 offer very low distortion for the price, good low end extension but maybe mot for a large room. A Heismann DXT-MON 182 is diy but can be ordered as kit but does not go as low. I can recommend assembling it, if just for the enjoyment and getting more knowledgeable about loudspeakers.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Harmonic distortion doesn't look low to me...
Here's @amirm 's review.

"Wow, this is clean! Yes, we have low frequency distortion as displacement and motor non-linearity are not high fidelity items.

Chop down that low frequency response [he means roll-off below 30Hz] which is not much anyway but brings boatload of distortion as it does in every other speaker we have tested. And then you should enjoy very low distortion presentation, well below my self-imposed 50 dB threshold."

So, please explain.

Ultrasonic

Newman

Major Contributor
Top Bottom