• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
May not mean anything to anyone else, but thought I'd share this personal ASR forum milestone today... seems I now get the title "major contributor" too. :)

View attachment 153436

Thanks again @amirm for providing a great forum and an excellent resource for the audio community. Also to @BDWoody, @AdamG247 for their contributions and mod duties. I really appreciate the effort that goes into ASR and the members that contribute to it in a positive way.

JSmith
Congratulations Sir! Nice achievement :cool:

Oldasdrt

May not mean anything to anyone else, but thought I'd share this personal ASR forum milestone today... seems I now get the title "major contributor" too. :)

View attachment 153436

Thanks again @amirm for providing a great forum and an excellent resource for the audio community. Also to @BDWoody, @AdamG247 for their contributions and mod duties. I really appreciate the effort that goes into ASR and the members that contribute to it in a positive way.

JSmith
Congrats

eyesofra

Hi guys,
A new member from capital down under ;) For many years, I've only dreamed of having my own equipment and actually measuring and verifying all these claims in the wild world of Hi-Fi ! I can only say that this forum feels like I'm in paradise ! Just can't say thank you enough to @amirm for this great service to the wider community and the guys who keep this forum going and an exciting place to be. Thank you all.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The most worse thing that can happen to you is getting a senior member. Sounds terrible. ;)

Oldasdrt

Hi guys,
A new member from capital down under ;) For many years, I've only dreamed of having my own equipment and actually measuring and verifying all these claims in the wild world of Hi-Fi ! I can only say that this forum feels like I'm in paradise ! Just can't say thank you enough to @amirm for this great service to the wider community and the guys who keep this forum going and an exciting place to be. Thank you all.
Welcome,
Always wanted to visit Aussie land, especially NW Australia,
I do have a Red Cattledog, Cattledogs originally bred in Australia :)

Kevbaz

Hi,
I’m new to ASR, my name is Kev and I live in West Yorkshire in the UK.
I’ve always been a listener of music varying from Enya, Queen, Phil Collins, classical and even music like dance/hardcore etc.
I have always had a hifi but pretty much mostly listen to headphones as I prefer it.

I’ve been using Grado Sr80 for over 20 years but recently changed to Sennheiser HD 660s which I’ve been using on a Chord Mojo. I’ve had the Mojo for I think about 4 or more years, before that I used Creek audio and Grado RA1.

After reading some threads on here I thought it would be interesting to trying a Hidizs S8 and was very surprised how well it performed, and in all honesty don’t think I can tell it apart from the more expensive mojo but I’ve only had the S8 a day, but given how much cheaper it is I feel a little stupid for buying the mojo now.
I use the mojo and now S8 as a desktop dac on MacBook streaming music from Qobuz.
I’m tempted to try an S9 Pro next or maybe even stretch to the THX Onyx, just to try and for fun, and even see if there is any audible difference.
Over the years I’ve been sucked into paying far too much for DACs and Amps, so am keen to learn more and try some equipment not pushed by mainstream magazines and YouTube channels etc.
Looking forward to reading more and hopefully contribute.
My background years ago was electrical engineering but mostly IT.
Cheers
Kev

JaccoW

My name is Jacco and I live in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

I have never been a true audiophile but I have always been interested in technology and gadgets with hobbies ranging from photography, mechanical keyboards and rebuilding vintage bicycles.

Currently I'm rebuilding my audio setup after a breakup earlier this year where most of the setup we bought together was taken by my ex-gf (a fair division of cost, since we bought it together, and she values good sound as well as a musician). It does mean I have to rebuild most from scratch again over the next two years or so.

We had a very nice setup with a Rega Elex-R stereo amplifier combined with a pair of second-hand Harbeth compact 7es-3 we bought at half price. Together with an older Thorens TD160 turntable from her father and my grandfather's Akai GX-635d reel-to-reel it was a pretty sweet setup.

wzEPuTU.jpg]Picture of said setup

- Don't worry, the speakers ended up on some spikes and further from the wall

Anyways, I'm down to a pair of PreSonus Eris E3.5 monitor speakers now and while they are definitely not bad I just want something a bit nicer and to put these back on my PC. Also unable to play my vinyl right now but I could probably plug those into the PreSonus. Turns out it's hard to go back to something like this after listening to the Harbeths for a couple of years.

Since I have to start somewhere and the old 2011 Asus Xonar U3 DAC felt a bit hodgepodge I wanted something nicer to start with. After some browsing, reading, trying and failing to order either a Schiit Modius or Soncoz SGD1 I went with the excellently reviewed Topping E50 in red. Thanks @amirm for all that information and the rest of the forum users for the comments on all these devices.

Now it might be a placebo effect but the Topping does seem to offer some really nice sound over the Asus. Wider sound and more clarity in the highs mostly. To the point that I can tell the difference between my higher quality (mostly WAV and 320kbs mp3) music and the older lower bitrate songs on my machine. Ah well, it's a good excuse to hunt for some music and to slowly keep building the setup again.

So where am I going next?

I'm planning to simply rebuild this setup over a year or two. Maybe even with the even nicer sounding, but quite a bit larger, Harbeth SHL5 Plus I remember liking their slightly bassier sound at the HiFi store that I tested these at. I also tried the Rega Brio amplifier which was, while pretty good, not comparable to the Elex-R.
Add a nice turntable like a Rega Planar 3 and call it a day. The reel-to-reel is getting a full rebuild soon so I can listen to some of the tapes I have again and perhaps even record some nice music to it to play those 10.5" reels and play them on a 96min (7.5ips) or even 180+min (3¾ips) at parties and the like.

I'll keep reading here and see where it goes.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for your breakup - but you seem to have parted on good terms which is definitely the best way to do it.

And now you have an excuse to buy more gear.

kenexcelon

Hey everyone,

My name's Brian. I joined about a month ago, and I'm just now getting around to making my first post to introduce myself. I live in East Tennessee in the Tri-Cities area. Looking forward to participating in discussions and asking for equipment advice. I have no doubt that I will learn a lot so I'm quite happy to have found this forum!

Just registered here. I tried to include some general information about myself but the system rejected it as potentially spammy. I'll post it below so others can point out the errors. I've been out of audio since 2004 and am just now beginning to peek my nose back in. Anyway, here's what the system rejected:

"I became fascinated with loudspeakers in the early 1980s and then became obsessed with learning as much as I could about them. It got so bad that I started my own loudspeaker company (Shamrock Audio), in 1993. I closed the doors 11-years later in 2004 and left the industry. Currently, I am living in forced retirement due to health issues."

RMD

Hello,

My first post on this forum. I am Ravindra from Kolhapur in India. Its a small place which is about 400kms south east of Mumbai.
I am an electronics engineer with good experience in Industrial Controls and Audio.
I am very passionate about audio and have designed my own processor board based on the ADAU1701. My amplifier boards use TDA7293 and LM1875. My speaker systems are mainly Subwoofer assisted fullrange systems or use only fullrange drivers.
I am excited to be on this forum and learn from members here and share my thoughts and work.

Thanks!

Regards,

Ravindra Desai.

jmhannam

Hi. I've enjoyed reading posts on this forum for some time now, so I became a "senior donor" today. This site is a wonderful and accessible resource for everyone, expert and amateur alike. I have no engineering, technical nor computer background, but I have always enjoyed learning about audio as well as listening to a variety of music. Many years ago I discovered "Audio Critic" written by Peter Aczel, and it was eye opening for me. From reading him, I discovered Sig Linkwitz's site, which I learned much from, although some was over my head. And Dr. Toole's 3rd edition of "Sound Reproduction". A couple years ago, after years of thinking about it, I purchased a fully assembled ("turnkey") pair of LX521.4 speakers with two DSP based 6 ProNcore PowerBoxes (Hypex UCD class D amplifiers; each box includes: single channel 100W for two tweeters in series; 125WX2 for low midrange and upper midrange; 250WX2 for two woofers) from Linkwitz.com run by Frank Brenner in Germany. He has been a pleasure to work with, and has provided excellent customer support when I had a couple glitches in the past. My basement listening room is somewhat asymmetrical, 27 feet long, 16.5 feet wide at one end, expanding to 18 feet wide midway, and a partially open staircase at the wider end. When listening alone, I sit at the apex of an equilateral triangle, 8 feet per side. The speakers are sitting 80 inches out from the 16.5 foot wide wall, and 51 inches from the adjacent side walls. I primarily use Tidal music streaming, but occasionally a CD. I am certainly no expert, but I am very pleased with the sound. I have read a few posts about my speakers on ASR as well as OPLUG (Orion Pluto User Group), but most concern advice and suggestions for those assembling the speakers. Recently I have read that Linkwitz.com, based in Germany, is offering an ASP based NCore PowerBox to drive the speakers. Linkwitz had written on his website, before his unfortunate passing, of the advantage in using ASP in place of DSP, resulting in improved crossover response. Which I partially comprehend. There is no easy or convenient way for me to listen to and compare the sound of these speakers driven by ASP- and DSP- based systems unblinded, much less in a double blind format. To my 68 year old untrained ears, my present system sounds fabulous, and I don't perceive any problems in need of a fix, so it seems the rational choice would be to leave well enough alone. Yet, I'm curious if any of you who are familiar with this speaker and/or who are knowledgeable about the "cascaded crossover topology" allowing for a flatter summed frequency response of multiple drivers in an active 4 way system. Maybe I'm nuts?

ChtitTazon

Hello everyone,

I am happy to join this forum.

I really appreciate being able to get factual information about audio devices.

Currently, I own a Linn Majik set (amp and speakers) chosen over 10 years ago just with my little ears. I am happy with it, but in the future I would like to rely more on the measurements found on this site for my purchases.

Thank you all for the information you provide.

roog

Forum Donor
Hello, I have been here for a fair while but not thought to post in this thread. I am an electrical and electronics engineer, my interests lie primarily in electronic hardware. I have had an interest in audio since I started building projects pre teenager and building a stereo system as a student. Now an oldie I have a Naim system with ATC passive loudspeakers, but, I am now slowly migrating away from ‘trophy’ hifi as these manufacturers seem to invest a lot of energy in building up mystique around the brand rather than demonstrating, with pride, how their stuff actually performs. I would rather move onto stuff that can simply be shown to perform well.

My present interests include, exploring Dirac DSP for room correction and Class D amplification (Putzy’s Eigentakt), both of which seem to be forward thinking and concerned with developing hi fidelity rather than brand building.

Thank you for all of the great work done so far and for the information collected in this terrific repository, I look forward to the next review and teach-in session by Amir and the members here.

Last edited:

BadgerMaster

Hi Guys,

I'm Paul. I'm based in London, UK.
Not bought stereo amp or speakers since 1997... and they went into storage in 2006 when I got married and moved into a flat.
However bit more space, and disposable income so planning to come out of Wilderness

Stumbled across this forum last week – and ‘wow’ – it is great. Congrats Amirm and the rest of the community. Must admit most of the physics is over my head, but love the approach. Really refreshing change from the glossy magazines with their ties Industry and marketing requirements

I’ve made a start in past couple weeks by reading. And bought some new kit in large part based on recommendation I’ve found in the forum. However, I could definitely do with some educated advice and if people would be so kind please. despite my advancing years definitely still a Hi-Fi Newbie. Fingers crossed.

If you can help please, this is the thread

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
ADVICE REGARDING SYSTEM UPGRADES /SET-UP PLEASE

-------------------------------------

IN DETAIL:
Want to improve my combined system for Music more than for home-cinema. But hopefully both in parallel. Looking for bang-for-bucks (or rather for £ sterling) for quality. It also must have high ‘Wife Acceptance Factor’ (WAF); in this case: white, styled, and as unobtrusive as possible (I might also through in some white lies about cost). I’ve started from a high WAF position, but pretty low audio quality (Q-Acoustics Q-AV speakers and AVR). Although. have bought some new kit in past couple weeks.

Not esp knowledgeable about / good at physics; DIY electronics a no go. Although (as an aside) , there is a Raspberry Pi 400 kit - enclosed in a keyboard – kicking around unused,. if that could be pressed into use, Maybe my 13 year old code do any software stuff.

BUDGET: around £2500-£3500, preferably at towards lower end, of which almost half has already been spent (Chromecast audio, new fronts and (on order) Subwoofer). Leaving £1250-1750 ($1650 -$2400) to play with, with DAC and amplification being the main things.

I could do above this if it was definitely going to give a major step up in performance that I would be likely to appreciate; and / or if there was a particular time-limited bargain to be picked up. Also happy to not spend the whole budget.

MUSIC: I’d like to have a system that allows me to listen to music across range of classical, vocal Jazz, gothic-punk and rock. However, (with apologies if this offends the purists), I mostly listen to electronic music having once been a clubber back-in-the-day, including dance/house, big-beat and techno.

USERS/ AUDIENCE: Primarily used by me, but teenage boys who will also use to watch Netflix/Movies and wife to put music on (using voice-control via Alexa / Fire-cube / Amazon-music).

In terms of quality, I’m the only one who will take any real notice at home. I like to fiddle with thing and can be obsessive about getting about details and getting thing ‘right’, but then tend to move on to focusing on another project. Based on my primary listening preference you’ll already have realized I’m not the most refined. I’m not totally cloth eared, but certainly no golden ear either.

LISTENING SPACE / LAYOUT: Living room. Approx 12’ wide, 20’ long and 9’ high. i.e 2160 cubic feet.

To the left a bay window to the right currently open plan to dining room. But going to be repartitioned with acoustic glass wall (to 38DB) as part of building works next year. So working sett up assuming for dimensions above

Listening position dead central (10m from either end of living room). Sofa back against wall. No latitude to move sofa.

TV attached to chimney breast (14” deep). Centre speaker below TV (22” from floor), Front speakers are 12” from wall. And sit 6-8 inches from side of chimney breast, but project in front of it (centre of cone by approx. The fronts are 7’ apart approx. 9.5 ft from primary listening position, slightly toed-in, sitting in on weighted stands 60 cm from floor. The position the Sofa and the front & centre speakers (bar minor adjustment) are essentially fixed factors. There is no room for floor standing speakers.

There is slim Sub (see below) front left hung on the wall front left ‘corner’ (into curved Bay window). I could keep this or not. Either plan to buy new sub which will have to sit front right, angled in – approx. 1m to side of front right speaker)

There is a low, 180 cm wide, heavy AV cabinet which houses (and hides) the AV-amp and BD player, Chromecast, all plugs / transformers, wires and ethernet splitter. There is room in there for a 2nd amp, and a DAC, but not an awful lot else if air-flow to be preserved. Any new components need to live in the cabinet, out of site (behind the black glass ‘window’).

MUSIC SOURCE: Mostly from Synology NAS. Moving to slowly to convert CDs to FLAC; most ripped to 192KB VBR MP3 & Ogg (using EAC).

As aforementioned, the Mrs uses Alexa to play tracks from Amazon Prime Music via the Fire-Cube

No separate CD player. No plans to get one. Guess could use BD, but don’t.

STREAMING: Casting to Chromecast Audio from Synology as DNLA using HiFI Cast on Android Phone (also have USB Audio Player, but Casting is unstable). Toslink Optical cable.

There is good Wifi and also wired ethernet.

This recent change from using Squeezebox Duet (sadly broken) and then Chromecast and Fire-Cube to ACR via HDMI.

DAC: No separate DAC (Squeezebox RIP). Therefore Currently that within the AVR.

AMPLIFIER:

Another area looking for advice and understand there may be multiple possible approaches (all presumably with compromises given budgetary constraints)

No dedicated stereo Amp for several years (my Marantz PM66SE packed in)

At present only have SONY DA2400ES AVR doing it all. Capable of 7.1. Not unhappy with it as things stand for movies. My new front speakers are such an improvement that even musically it’s doing relatively OK (with direct sound setting). However, other settings to allow base to come in disappointing. it is also getting long in the tooth (I’ve had since 2010). It doesn’t support 4K TV - and in the next year or 2 I expect I will get a 4K TV as prices for decent 65” OLED sets continue to fall.

SPEAKERS

FRONT SPEAKER:
I have bought, just this week, a pair of new Revel M105s (white); which I picked up for a bargain £799 (from Nintronics). They are amazing, massive improvement in quality even given limitation of rest of system. Many Thanks for the review Amirm – they wouldn’t have been on my radar had I not seen your comments (and review) about. And didn’t imagine in my price bracket (looking for Revel M16s when found this bargain)

They replace a (very) old pair of Mission 701s which had been residing in my parents’ loft for over a decade which I had dug out, but ‘sadly’ immediately failed the WAF test. I mention these because I love these speakers for their delivery of electronic music. They are not very neutral but have amazing bass for their size. The M105s beat them hands down on everything (including Laurent Garnier – Techno) apart from Trip-Hop (Portishead, Massive Attack) which has really deep base in it. With the upshot being I need to get new subwoofer to go with the new fronts for music (as well as Movies)

SUB-WOOFER: At present I have a 13 year old Q-Acoustics AV-Sub. It’s not ‘man enough’ for the job. But is relative unobtrusive. Being white, only 17cm deep and mounted to the wall above the skirting board. Angled into room front left corner.

After reading some of the threads here, and then reviews on audio-phonics I’ve ordered a SWS SB1000 Pro Sub. Which on paper should, I hope, get the balance right between performance and WAF. Although, there is going to be a skirmish over even a 33cm white cube being added to the floor.

CENTRE SPEAKER (UK spelling):

Q-Acoustics LCR 50 – this is a width adjustable passive sound bar, with 3 separate speakers. NTX rather than conventional design. Using centre only. It’s performance is OK. No way going to stretch to Revel 205C (£1000) let alone 208C (£2000). As bracket so wide and recessed into wall bit of pain to change for a narrower centre. As will have to do fill in holes / sand down / paint etc. So while open to possible option for a better centre (so I can keep my out for a bargain) think this be the last thing I change.

SURROUNDS

2 Pairs on Q-Acoustic AV Surrounds currently wall mounted very close to ceiling (too high to be optimal for 7.1 set up) .

Also have pain Mission 77DS Dipole speakers which I picked up on ebay last and mounted on wall last weekend. They much improved the surround experience (in part position) but just larger, more capable speakers. However they are relatively large and black. Thus have failed the WAF test and will go back on ebay. I have another pair currently in dining room which plan to mount lower to use as low surrounds. Which won’t sound as good but will have to do. Again open to ideas so I can keep an eye out for a bargain; but spending money on surrounds is not the priority.

Help / Advice gratefully received – if you would be so kind please

--------------------------------------

I was wondering whether if I got a Denon AVR307H (£1150 / $) that might suffice. Full stop.

But assuming otherwise

Would adding a Behringer A800 Amp (£180) to power the fronts provide a significant upgrade in perfomance?

And if I did that whether a Topping E/D 30/50 (??which) could / should act as a pre-amp for music to the Behringer. In terms of quality and of practicality. Are the Topping DACS of sufficient quality acting as pre-amps? How does one switch between inputs on the A800? IS the RME ADI-2 very much superior to Topping in terms of quality of result? Other DACS/ preamps

Open to other suggestions wrt AMPS. Seen that the Nord Amps score highly. Bit confused what is what with these. Also take most of / all of budget. IS there anything recommended in-between? I auditioned a Music Fidelity MSi2 when I went to listen too speakers, I had high hopes, but lacked a bit of oomph. Certainly compared to the YBA heritage A200 I also listened to as well (could get for £1000). I Wondered about the Cambridge Audio CAX81 (again possibly as a complete solution). Unfortunately out-of stock in UK presently

I am also unclear how to connect the subwoofer best so can use optimally for both Music and Home cinema with any of these options. Or even if it is possible to do so. I also wondered about the pros/cons/ practicalities of running (in the long run if not immediately) a 5.2.4 setup with with SB1000 and also keeping the Q-AV sub.

On the subject of subwoofers.Open to other suggestions as have not received the SVS SB1000 Pro yet. But already rejected NK Electronics (great value, geographically close but not aesthetically acceptable) and Ardrenal 1961s (were in running until realised inputs on the right side / would be highly visible).

Ditto centre and surrounds (just in case a bargain came up). Don’t see either the Revel C208c or even C205c as being options due to £££.

Many thanks – just for reading if you have got this far.

Hopefully someone can offer some sagely advice.

Cheers

Paul
Welcome to ASR @BadgerMaster :D It is better if you can start a new thread for your questions. Can you copy paste it into a new thread and then the moderator like @BDWoody or @AdamG247 can delete 2 of the comments here?

BadgerMaster

Welcome to ASR @BadgerMaster :D It is better if you can start a new thread for your questions. Can you copy paste it into a new thread and then the moderator like @BDWoody or @AdamG247 can delete 2 of the comments here?
Thanks Doodski.
Have posted to new thread as you suggested:
And deleted from here.
cheers

LunaTempesta

Hello people from the internet!

Saying hi after having lurked for a good year or so. Have had an audio interest for quite some time, but neither the budget nor the space to satisfy myself. Recently moved out into my own place so finally had the opportunity to change it up. Used a pair of Q Acoustics 3020's for a few years due to space issues, were fine for the small room at the time but felt lacking in a bigger space. Got the opportunity to listen to a wide variety of floor-standing speakers within a 'friendly' budget. Ended up with a pair of Focal Aria's.
Current set up with a pretty much step-in Yamaha AMP. Looking into upgrading that or the TV next.
2BOs1KP.jpg

I like the hobby, but sometimes the more I delve into stuff, the more complicated (and annoying) it gets. So I try not to read into stuff too much, but rather just go out and listen myself. For now I'm plenty happy with the sound these Focals make!

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Directed to this introduction forum by JSmith -- Thank you to him. I have periodically meandered through these web pages and, despite having very little technical know-how, have found the information helpful and the members very knowledgeable. I suppose I'm expected to describe my current gear, but at this time awaiting delivery of an Emotiva line-up, including a BasX A2 amp, BasX PT1 preamp, Airmotiv B1+ speakers, and Airmotiv SE12 subwoofer. I know that's pretty low-level gear compared to most of you, but I just wanted a decent enough system to enjoy Qobuz and radio in my family room. My main system is Benchmark-based (AHB2, HPA4, DAC3), Bluesound Node 2i, RLS 10S subwoofer, and Selah speakers that I built this past summer. As you can tell I like to keep a system in the same family to ensure compatibility. Anyway, looking forward to learning more from y'all and appreciate the good this website does for people interested in audio, even for those of us who lack technical expertise.

Top Bottom