• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beer thread, what you drinkin..

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
BatsquatchPint.jpg

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not convinced it's still beer once you have to do something other than fermentation. "Fortified beer" is probably a better description once you start using things like freeze distillation. That sets the upper limit somewhere around 18% with the right yeast I think, but some freeze distilled ones are weaker than that.
I agree, though I've had some of the BrewDog Tactical Nuclear Penguin (36%) and it was both extremely lovely, dangerously easy to drink and still tasted like beer. What is most definitely isn't is a lunchtime beer, though I'd do it again.

Honken

I'd like to try the Tactical Nuclear Penguin some time (what a name), but only for the sake of simply trying it. Strongest I've tried would be Black Fist by Mikkeller. Definitely didn't taste like a regular stout at 26%, it was enjoyable but only when sipping it even more slowly than you would sip a regular stout.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Happy Friday everyone. Cheers! Drinking my homebrew German Style Pilsner. Pilsner and Victory Malts, Hallertau Mittelfruh hops and Bohemian Lager yeast.
pilsner.jpeg

gaburko

Probably a tad unfair, but still...a brew with a wild yeast (captured from my backyard) and Brett Saison aged in an oak barrel for 6 months then bottle conditioned for another 12 months. Carbed all the way to 3.5 vol. Tart, spicy, complex without being overwhelming and fantastic aftertaste of vanilla and citrus. It was 40 IBU at the time of brewing, but the bitterness has faded away and provides a nice backbone without standing in the way. Happy! Now where's my Roon remote....damn...

Top Bottom