• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a watch-collector buddy who has a very high-end espresso machine and he has developed his technique over many years. But humidity changes, coffee changes, phase of the Moon, tidal outflow, alien activity, and even the presence of nearby ectoplasm seem to confound his high standards too often. I like the ritual of grinding my own beans and making a pour-over. But the ritual of making espresso the way he makes it--too much.

Rick "'that pull only took 12 seconds--gotta start over!'" Denney

diablo

Forum Donor
That's the annoying thing with De Longhi machines. Any maintenance beyond rinsing the water tank requires major disassembly.

I recall doing replacing something on mine a long time ago, that was a bit of a bother. But I have had the thing a few years now.

coffeemachine.jpg

The main reason I picked that machine was that I like a very long 'lungo'. Last time I checked the counter it had served over 13000 drinks.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got an e-mail from Able Brewing (based in Portland, Oregan) They have a 20% off sale for National Coffee day. Use code COFFEEDAY at checkout, valid on all products through October 6th.

I have their re-usable stainless steel filter disks for my AeroPress, which are excellent....

Newman

Major Contributor
If you want to really taste your bean, then either scrape off the crema, or produce coffee using a process that doesn’t produce crema, like Aeropress. I use the latter and it has revolutionised my coffee life beyond the limitations of all the commercial barista machines.

“Bitter is shitter.” :p

JRS

Major Contributor
If you want to really taste your bean, then either scrape off the crema, or produce coffee using a process that doesn’t produce crema, like Aeropress. I use the latter and it has revolutionised my coffee life beyond the limitations of all the commercial barista machines.

“Bitter is shitter.” :p
Fascinating: I know you are aware that espresso lovers live and die by the amt and color of the crema. Back in the day when my Pasquale still worked, and I had some freshly roasted beans milled to perfection by the Rocky Rancilio (still going strong 20 years later--it's a beast), the perfect shots had perhaps a 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick layer, and were very satisfying when diluted to Americano strength. Sadly the two under 500.00 kits I have tried lately have left a disappointing wafer thin barely brown head, and taste muddy. What's the story with Aeropress. Gonna google it, but you seem like a sane chap--what's your take?

D!sco

Oh boy it’s my other obsessive hobby I dump the other 50% of my cash into!
I am a long time AeroPress fan, especially with fresh grounds. It’s the easiest upgrade to any starter system, and it also fills the niche of travel coffee maker. In the pandemic, I bought a flair signature classic for espresso. It’s a pain, and I can’t make more than one shot at a time. But the actual espresso is worth it. For under $200, you can make some damn good shots, with practice.
AE07C9F2-2A8E-4B78-B819-962E9963A642.jpeg
(Making an affogato)

The most “audiophile” thing I do is roast my own beans. Sweet Maria’s is the best. I use a popcorn popper. It does good City+ to FC+. It’s not consistent enough for lower darkness roasts. It’s the only way I can feel like I’m saving money though.
9DA2AC9B-D1A8-478B-ACA9-641B1302DF7A.jpeg

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All day long and in excessive quantities.

JRS

Major Contributor
Oh boy it’s my other obsessive hobby I dump the other 50% of my cash into!
I am a long time AeroPress fan, especially with fresh grounds. It’s the easiest upgrade to any starter system, and it also fills the niche of travel coffee maker. In the pandemic, I bought a flair signature classic for espresso. It’s a pain, and I can’t make more than one shot at a time. But the actual espresso is worth it. For under $200, you can make some damn good shots, with practice.
View attachment 161771
(Making an affogato)

The most “audiophile” thing I do is roast my own beans. Sweet Maria’s is the best. I use a popcorn popper. It does good City+ to FC+. It’s not consistent enough for lower darkness roasts. It’s the only way I can feel like I’m saving money though.
View attachment 161774
Interesting--a human powered espresso machine. Achieving 160psi must take some effort, no? Over a few square inches, talking a 1/4 ton. Lever helps but curious re the resistance.

JRS

Major Contributor
I have a watch-collector buddy who has a very high-end espresso machine and he has developed his technique over many years. But humidity changes, coffee changes, phase of the Moon, tidal outflow, alien activity, and even the presence of nearby ectoplasm seem to confound his high standards too often. I like the ritual of grinding my own beans and making a pour-over. But the ritual of making espresso the way he makes it--too much.

Rick "'that pull only took 12 seconds--gotta start over!'" Denney
That's funny. And yes you can get tweeked about espresso. It probably just needs to upgrade the power cord to his machine, and lest we forget some of those feet--the mechanical diode ones. The machine must be allowed to resonate in harmony. And who knows maybe an audio brick to focus the flux. The possibilities seem endless.

D!sco

Interesting--a human powered espresso machine. Achieving 160psi must take some effort, no? Over a few square inches, talking a 1/4 ton. Lever helps but curious re the resistance.
I can pull it to a measured chamber pressure of 9 PSI (or higher), but I use a bit of my body weight to maintain a more linear pull. It’s a well known method to use human power to make 6-12 bar if the water is already boiling. The lever definitely helps at that. If I have a good puck, it feels like I’m pulling against some real resistance, but liquid starts flowing when the gauge reaches 6-9 bars.
Other high end examples of lever espresso machines are the Olympia Cremina, which retails for upwards of $2000. It includes automatic boilers and a steam wand. All technique is up to the user. I would never own one.

Reactions: JRS

JRS

Major Contributor
I can pull it to a measured chamber pressure of 9 PSI (or higher), but I use a bit of my body weight to maintain a more linear pull. It’s a well known method to use human power to make 6-12 bar if the water is already boiling. The lever definitely helps at that. If I have a good puck, it feels like I’m pulling against some real resistance, but liquid starts flowing when the gauge reaches 6-9 bars.
Other high end examples of lever espresso machines are the Olympia Cremina, which retails for upwards of $2000. It includes automatic boilers and a steam wand. All technique is up to the user. I would never own one.
That's cool. Makes sense, given that good machines sell for the price of entry level high end amps. But asking 2k when I have to do the work seems over the top. Does accurate temp and metering of the fluid truly cost that much? Never mind, asked and answered.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Waste of time and money IMO but my wife likes it and unlike stereo equipment a high end coffee maker is a must display item.

D!sco

After using a less expensive, fully manual espresso machine, I really want automatic heating and a separate portafilter, but the upgrade is $500 minimum.
The value of doing everything manually means you can do all the high end La Marzocco preinfusion and pressure profiling, without the $3000 price tag. The caveat: if you’re good enough.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel fortunate that where I live I can walk down the street and pay a professional $4.25 to use their $10,000 LaMarzocco to make one for me.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had this for just over 6 years now. Averaged about 10 double shots/week for the first 5 of those, and at least 14 for the last 12 months (Post retirement). Still working as well as the day it was new, though I've had to replace the pump.

IMG_2050.jpeg

I have a Eurika Mignon grinder - slow but does a good job.

JRS

Major Contributor
After using a less expensive, fully manual espresso machine, I really want automatic heating and a separate portafilter, but the upgrade is $500 minimum.
The value of doing everything manually means you can do all the high end La Marzocco preinfusion and pressure profiling, without the $3000 price tag. The caveat: if you’re good enough.
Agree with that number, and prices for a decent rig have dropped considerably. Twenty years ago I'd a said 1k is entry level. Not long ago, I tried to sneak a 350.00 Breville under that radar and came up sorely disappointed.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aaaaaand, that's another reason I like pourovers. My Melitta pourover cone was $4.99.

Rick "goes through a lot of #2 filters, though" Denney

D!sco

Agree with that number, and prices for a decent rig have dropped considerably. Twenty years ago I'd a said 1k is entry level. Not long ago, I tried to sneak a 350.00 Breville under that radar and came up sorely disappointed.
The good news is, a Rancilio Silvia goes for ~$400 used and makes a damn good shot. After I upgrade to a proper stepless grinder, it's on my list.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
this is the way
Hario_V60_White_Bundle.jpg

We converted from a standard #4 cone pour over to a Hario V60 about 3 months ago. So much easier to use and the coffee is maybe a little better.

Top Bottom