• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC ratings?

DOYAM

I study amirm's reviews but admittedly, the numbers are over my head. I do take his advice though. Is there somewhere that he has a "list of recommended DACs"? I am looking for a GOOD DAC that isnt crazy expensive and that I can grow into. I am looking for something with volume control as well and a remote. Thanks in advance!

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

Go to the electronics reviews page (see below). There is a button at the top left named "Goto Rankings". Click on it and pick the filters to narrow down the devices you are interested in. There is a column for Amir's recommendations. The default metric is SINAD (signal to noise and distortion). Click on the number will get you to the product review/measurement page. Click on the device model will get you to the manufacturer's product page. For the details such as whether the device includes remote and volume control, you may need to look it up in the review.

recommended.PNG

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Welcome to ASR @DOYAM

The only thing you really need to do is find something with a SINAD above 90dB. Everything over that range will sound 100% identical. I cant remember what the actual audible threshold is. I think it's 80dB. I suggest benchmarking yourself. Try this klippel listening test to find out how good your hearing is. Good luck finding a nice DAC!

https://www.klippel.de/listeningtest
*I just scored -15dB in an noisy office with fans:oops:, but I usually get -33dB and the best I've gotten is -39dB. Compare this number to the SINAD & Dynamic range in the reviews to get a good feeling for how good a modern DAC is.

Last edited:
OP
D

DOYAM

Thank you NTK!

fieldcar, thanks for that link. I just did it and its VERY telling. I scored a -21 which seems to be most people by the graph they gave me. Helps me put things into perspective.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm a "picky listener" but don't have "golden ears".* I've NEVER heard ANY defect from a DAC (or a soundcard, or CD player, or AVR, or anything with a built-in DAC) EXCEPT when I've heard NOISE from a soundcard. For example, I've had a soundcard that put-out noise when the hard drive was accessed (or maybe there was always some audible noise that got worse with the hard drive... I don't exactly remember).

* When I was younger, I used to THINK I had exceptional hearing (and my hearing was probably better when I was younger ;) ) and I was sort-of an an "amateur audiophile" on a budget, always trying to improve my stereo. But the real deal is, my hearing isn't better than anybody else but most people just don't care as much about sound quality and they don't give it much thought. Back in the vinyl days, the clicks & pops drove me nuts and most people didn't seem to care as long as the record didn't skip. (Of course I knew it didn't take golden ears to hear that!)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I am looking for a GOOD DAC that isnt crazy expensive and that I can grow into. I am looking for something with volume control as well and a remote.
If "not crazy expensive" includes approx. 350-600 US$, you should have plenty to pick from. Generally with balanced output as well, which I would also consider sensible for anything to "grow into".

Zensō

Major Contributor
OP
D

DOYAM

Thanks for the advice. I understand there are different levels here and I should have clarified my range. I guess less than $200-$300 and I'm willing to buy second hand for now. I am picking up a Schiit Vidar to power my ELAC B6.2s so I want something decent but $600 is out of the question for now. I like the Loxjie D30 but cant find it new.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Go to the review Index as NTK suggested. You can limit the price range to see what fits your budget as part of that index. Probably several to choose from by Topping or JDS labs or maybe SMSL.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I'm a "picky listener" but don't have "golden ears".* I've NEVER heard ANY defect from a DAC (or a soundcard, or CD player, or AVR, or anything with a built-in DAC)
This.

All these ratings fail to take into account human hearing limitations.

3125b

Major Contributor
I guess less than $200-$300
If you could stretch your budget just a little bit, the Topping EX5 should be a very good choice for you. It‘s a very well performing balanced DAC with volume control, multiple inputs, remote and it has a good headphone amp just in case you‘d ever want that. For 350$ it offers a lot of features in a compact form factor.
Amir has reviewed it a few month ago.

OP
D

DOYAM

The EX5 is interesting. I was looking at Bluesound Node as well but its pricey and not a good DAC. The streamer option is attractive to me. I need a Loxjie!

OP
D

DOYAM

How bad would SMSL SD9 and use XLR to RCA cables into the Schiit Vidar?

OP
D

DOYAM

Or stretch more and pick up a Apos Certified SMSL SU8s or SU9 for $359.99 or $390.00 respectively?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How bad would SMSL SD9 and use XLR to RCA cables into the Schiit Vidar?
I don't believe the SD-9 includes a DAC. You'll need a DAC between the SD9 and Vidar.

OP
D

DOYAM

I think I'm down to D30 Pro, SU-8s or SU-9. All are below $400 through Apos Certified. Thoughts?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
All basically good options, I think - read the review threads. Might throw in Topping EX5 as well (much like the SU-8s, + headphone amp, - BT I think). I guess you want a volume knob, so no E50?

You have just one Vidar? This may prove a bit of an issue, since it looks like that amp is an IEC Class I device with either stereo RCA or a mono XLR input for BTL operation. You may end up having one hell of a hard time getting rid of ground loop issues entirely when using the RCAs. Not entirely the smartest construction IMHO. I guess you could always ditch it for a decent Hypex-based job with balanced inputs if need be.

OP
D

DOYAM

I think I want a little better then the EX5 and yes I need a volume knob for now.

Haven't come across the ground loop issue with the Vidar but do plan on using RCAs...

Top Bottom