• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

hyperknot

Is there any chance of re-running the measurements on a commercial sample? I own 2 SGD1 and I'm honestly disillusioned now, both by ASR and by Soncoz.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Is there any chance of re-running the measurements on a commercial sample? I own 2 SGD1 and I'm honestly disillusioned now, both by ASR and by Soncoz.
Since you have two you're in an ideal position to send one in for testing, so start a conversation and ask directly. Things have been retested from time to time, but usually when there's a specific issue that's come up and needs to be addressed, so a detailed explanation of why you think a rerun is necessary would probably help.

hyperknot

I'm in Europe and I have the 2 DACs in two separate countries, both being used daily, without any alternatives. I hope there is a member in the US who can send one to Amir, just for a simple SINAD measurement.

porotikos

well i googled what sbam is. found the forum. then found this thread.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...coz-sgd1-asr-measurement-discrepancies.11115/

i love asr obviously. and trust amir.
But thereis too much gossip going on right now, that i think it has to be addressed.
Did Amir get a cherry picked sgd1 or laqxd1? or did the hump fix mess with the sinad performance?
according to that thread these are serious allegations.
i do hope that some great guy like amir can redo some measurements from a donated soncoz perhaps (not the one sent by ben), to see what is going on.
Because from all that i am reading right now, i am starting to doubt the dac i have.
and that is bad.
thank you

porotikos

I'm in Europe and I have the 2 DACs in two separate countries, both being used daily, without any alternatives. I hope there is a member in the US who can send one to Amir, just for a simple SINAD measurement.
hopefully new measurements for laqxd1as well

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
well i googled what sbam is. found the forum. then found this thread.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...coz-sgd1-asr-measurement-discrepancies.11115/

i love asr obviously. and trust amir.
But thereis too much gossip going on right now, that i think it has to be addressed.
Did Amir get a cherry picked sgd1 or laqxd1? or did the hump fix mess with the sinad performance?
according to that thread these are serious allegations.
i do hope that some great guy like amir can redo some measurements from a donated soncoz perhaps (not the one sent by ben), to see what is going on.
Because from all that i am reading right now, i am starting to doubt the dac i have.
and that is bad.
thank you
You guys just need to contact Amir through PM explain the situation and provide the device to remeasure. Amir himself is of course not responsible for any variation in the production.
So do what I suggested and see what happens.

porotikos

You guys just need to contact Amir through PM explain the situation and provide the device to remeasure. Amir himself is of course not responsible for any variation in the production.
So do what I suggested and see what happens.
Noone here accused amir of anything. We trust his measurements thats why we visit this forum. In my case, i am in europe so sending it over is a no go due to customs especially with the new changes...

hyperknot

I am said I am disillusioned that he didn't test a production version, I didn't accuse him of anything.

gvl

Major Contributor
Given only 2 double op-amps per channel, can we say this DAC and its little brother don't properly convert from differential signaling to signal ended? If so the RCA output performance can be considerably worse than balanced - Amir didn't test it.

Edit: I see Wolf tested the RCAs, looks okay. Still, should there normally be a dedicated op-amp for conversion to single-ended?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, I just found out about this issue with someone calling me a crook and in bed with Soncoz to give them a good review. :( You all should start a conversation with me so I can look into these things. I can't read all the threads here.

I went to buy one on Amazon but there is nothing in stock in US and will take month or more to get a unit to test. Anyone in US has one that can loan it to me to test???

OK, I just found out about this issue with someone calling me a crook and in bed with Soncoz to give them a good review. :( You all should start a conversation with me so I can look into these things. I can't read all the threads here.

I went to buy one on Amazon but there is nothing in stock in US and will take month or more to get a unit to test. Anyone in US has one that can loan it to me to test???
@amirm , my SGD1 is collecting dust with my 789 dead and no replacement amp, so I can send you mine if that would help.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , my SGD1 is collecting dust with my 789 dead and no replacement amp, so I can send you mine if that would help.
Oh definitely would! Please start a conversation with me and we can take it from there. Thanks a bunch.

porotikos

Is that in dispute also???
I think they questioned all sonkoz producta though they only provided measurements for sgd1.
Ill check that thread later. If you could find the will and time to redo laqxd1 again, i thing it would clear the air forever. Not for me, i trust you, but for every doubtful petty person on the web. Cheers amirm

porotikos

The same unit would be pointless. If i was in america i could lend mine.... Unfortunately i am in greece my friend

Top Bottom