• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did You Actually Buy a New Disc Recently?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep buying records and try to let as few CDs in to my life as possible (I don't like them physically, and burning them to the server is a hassle these days), but I picked up Jerry Goldsmith's score to Escape From The Planet Of The Apes CD. The Varèse Sarabande label does a wonderful job putting together soundtrack gems that sometimes never even made it to vinyl.

As a movie and home theater enthusiast as well, I used to buy tons of movies on Blu-Ray so I have a big collection. These days I find streaming looks great, even on my big projection screen. I would love to get rid of my physical movie collection, it's just taking up space. Problem is many of the movies are hard to find on streaming and/or to access them all I'd have to be subscribing to multiple streaming services. So they just keep hanging around.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a very recent documentry on Gordon Lightfoot, it re-aroused interest in his music.

Do you have a link to the documentary or to info? I'd love to see it.

"If You Could Read My Mind" [aka "Sit Down Young Stranger"] is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Same here. I've listened to that album almost perpetually since I got in to Gord, in the 90's. Every track is wonderful, but I often use sit down young stranger as a test track for speakers. Gordon's voice and the guitar parts can sound so natural, like he's just sitting there singing to me.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Do you have a link to the documentary or to info? I'd love to see it.

It is so strange to see someone this old who we all remember as a young man. I suspect the documentary glides over the many medical issues that Gordon Lightfoot has suffered through in the fifty years I have been aware of him. I streamed a lot of his material I didn't manage to get to through all those years. I always assumed that "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" was documenting an old historical incident instead of a tale ripped from the headlines. Was not previously aware of the link between "Sundown" and John Belushi's demise.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the music I have is newly bought shrink-wrapped CDs. I get two or three a week, I guess. I joined this forum (a year ago tomorrow!) hoping to surreptitiously soak up some file/streaming/modern-day capabilities, but it hasn't worked at all. I guess I have a mental block. I see people's screenshots of their library databases and think, ugh. Just can't do it.

Me too! When it became available on the islands that I stayed on, I tried downloading some purchase digital for use on a ship while I was a sea from 3 weeks to 3 months at a time from 2001-2018. played back with JRiver while I was on a ship at sea. The idea seemed great, the execution, not so much. Having to update JRiver constantly & relearn was more than I want to do now that I am shore based. I just want to learn how to and get what I need to get my several hundred (of each LP's, CD's, DVD's [also some Blu Ray & UHD]) stored on my computer in CD's, DVD, Blu Ray & FLAC formats so if they get scratched not likely when I handle them but it is not always me, I even have a separate TT (DUAL 1229) from my Technics SL-M3 (for others in my household to use for their LP's) so that I can burn a new copy. I want to copy their LP collection too. Currently I can do this with a
Sony RCD-W500C
24-bit Converters
5-CD Changer and CD Recorder
Type: Dual Well Programmable Integrated 5-CD CD-R/CD-RW Recorder/Changer
Compatible Discs: Red Book CD, CD-R, CD-RW and MP3 Discs
(Note: This unit records to Audio CDR's and CDRW's only)
Supported Bit/Sample Rates16-bit/44.1kHzA/D Converter: 24-bit D to A Converters: 24-bit Sample Rate Conversion
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Dynamic Range>95 dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio>98 dB
Input Connectors (Analog) 2 x RCA Phono, Unbalanced
Nominal Input Level Unbalanced: 47 kOhms/125 - 330 mV RMS
Output Connectors 2 x RCA Phono, Unbalanced
Nominal Output Level 2.0 V RMS/50 kOhms
Input Connectors (Digital)1 x Toslink Optical
Output Connectors (Digital)1 x Toslink Optical
Headphone Connector1/4" TRS phone with Volume Control Knob
Digital Fade In/Outs; Remote Control
RAM Track Incrementing
Indexing & Finalize Features
So I am good there.
I have an oppo 205 UDP and an ART USB Phono Plus – Project Series
But I am computer software illiterate (but good with hardware, I designed & built the above computer myself)
I just need to learn how to do FLAC to the Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Intel Core i7 4790K, 32 GB DDR3 @ 799 MHZ, 2 TB Samsung SSD 850 EVO (SATA), NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (MSI) computer and what I need to in order to do it. Then I can get started with this major project.

Please let me know if there is something else I need for this project (other than a way to clean the records) and how I should hook these things up.
Thank you in advance. EJ3

Victor Martell

I keep buying records and try to let as few CDs in to my life as possible (I don't like them physically, and burning them to the server is a hassle these days), .

I have rediscovered my love for the CD - you won't believe this ( :D ) but they are the perfect compromise between my love of physical media and convenience... Just waiting for a few...

1.- VDGG's Big Charisma Box
2.- Eloquence's Kna's Bruckner on Decca and Westminster
3.- Tangerine Dream's early stuff from Esoteric: Atem, Zeit and Alpha Centauri and a Japanese SHM of Rubycon

Not to mention the recently arrived Marillion's Fugazi on a very cool book format...

Still buying vinyl - only new vinyl, have a policy of no used records - but, lately, more and more far in between - running out of space! So it has to be something very special to get it on vinyl...

Me too I decided it was a hassle to put CDs into the server... so I stopped that nonsense ( :D ) , but did not go streaming... I just bought a great CD player... happy with the decision - no more fighting with crappy metadata...

But that is just my preference.... YMMV...

v

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have rediscovered my love for the CD - you won't believe this ( :D ) but they are the perfect compromise between my love of physical media and convenience... Just waiting for a few...

1.- VDGG's Big Charisma Box
2.- Eloquence's Kna's Bruckner on Decca and Westminster
3.- Tangerine Dream's early stuff from Esoteric: Atem, Zeit and Alpha Centauri and a Japanese SHM of Rubycon

Not to mention the recently arrived Marillion's Fugazi on a very cool book format...

Still buying vinyl - only new vinyl, have a policy of no used records - but, lately, more and more far in between - running out of space! So it has to be something very special to get it on vinyl...

Me too I decided it was a hassle to put CDs into the server... so I stopped that nonsense ( :D ) , but did not go streaming... I just bought a great CD player... happy with the decision - no more fighting with crappy metadata...

But that is just my preference.... YMMV...

v

The last new CD I bought was Machine Gun Kelly, Tickets to My Downfall. Great disc.

I don't buy vinyl. Ever. I also don't buy buggy whips or cassettes.

When I can, which is not too often, I buy from the artist directly.

But that's just me.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is so strange to see someone this old who we all remember as a young man. I suspect the documentary glides over the many medical issues that Gordon Lightfoot has suffered through in the fifty years I have been aware of him. I streamed a lot of his material I didn't manage to get to through all those years. I always assumed that "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" was documenting an old historical incident instead of a tale ripped from the headlines. Was not previously aware of the link between "Sundown" and John Belushi's demise.

Thanks Robin!

Had no idea about the Belushi link either. I'll have to dig in to that doc.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh I certainly believe it. Not my choice, but the way CD suits your goals makes perfect sense to me.

I'm building up a collection of records, but completely understand those who have happily abandoned all physical media.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor

Love GL, loved the doc. Strange connection with Catherine Smith for sure. She knew a lot of people.

Here's another one that will bake your noodle from the recent Rick James doc, he was in a band with Neil Young in Toronto before he went into his punk funk stuff.

Yuhasz01

I buy 1-2 new disks a month and 5-6 used ones per month. Mainly acoustic jazz, some classical.

David Harper

haven't bought a CD in years. I do occasionally buy a bluray movie if it's something good. Last one I bought was "The Invisible Man".
I mostly listen to radio Paradise.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most recent NEW album was Plini's "Impulse Voices".

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m a CD and vinyl collector - I just have a preference for physical media. When I run out of space, I may reconsider as I don’t believe physical media are sonically better. They are tangibly better.

As for a *new* CD, just ordered the new Sons of Kemet album today. Streamed it, liked it, bought it.

virtuovice

Forum Donor
Kid A Mnesia LP & CD
https://kida-mnesia.com/

Deluxe_Front_Back_Open_Vinylx3_grande.jpg

Mainimage_CD_2048x2048.jpg

amper42

Major Contributor
I’m a CD and vinyl collector - I just have a preference for physical media. When I run out of space, I may reconsider as I don’t believe physical media are sonically better. They are tangibly better.

As for a *new* CD, just ordered the new Sons of Kemet album today. Streamed it, liked it, bought it.

I look for wonderful collections of CD's just like your's for $2.99 a disk at Goodwill. They have an amazing amount of stock but it takes a bit of time to find the gems I'm looking for. :D

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I look for wonderful collections of CD's just like your's for $2.99 a disk at Goodwill. They have an amazing amount of stock but it takes a bit of time to find the gems I'm looking for. :D

The Dexter Gordon CD was actually a Goodwill purchase. But, because I bought it online and had it shipped, it was $7.64 instead of $2.99.

Top Bottom