• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parasound 200 Pre Review (DAC, Preamp, Phono)

Transmaniacon

Really? What exactly is exposed?

Are you saying you can sense 92db sinad as compared to 120?

This is what gets me sometimes. These tests are interesting and good in an academic sense, but a lot of the results are completely inaudible compared to other gear that may measure better.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of Parasound 200 Pre DAC, Preamplifier and Phono Stage. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $895.

Conclusions
Parasound has a very nice package of features in the 200 Pre. Alas, the performance targets are quite low by our standards. For its intended custom install market, it is perfectly fine. But if you aspire the best, you have to look elsewhere.

/

I enjoy reading your fair and well balanced subjective conclusions @amirm

AudioKnob

Yeah, ya might not hear the crud but it's there and it shouldn't be. Always been a supporter of Curl and Parasound ... Have an old high-current amp of his; still quiet after all these years. Hope the DAC gets the attention it deserves ... some impressive features.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
To be honest, it didn't do too bad. My old Parasound P5 had the volume pot replaced twice because of static noise and channel mismatch. Sold it and this year got a Parasound P6 and it's definitely a much better pre amp. Volume controls have been the weakest point on Parasound pre amps. The features I love the most about Parasound pre amps are the analog bass management and the HT Bypass. The HT Bypass in the Parasound P6 and HINT6 are unique and you won't find them on any other pre amp/integrated amp in the market.

GeorgeWalk

I have this preamp. I wished it had reviewed better, but c'est la vie. I use it for my office sound system, so I am not listening to it too critically.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[[Cooking off-topic on eggplant.]]

The eggplant is very versatile! Here are a three more ideas (I assume with google translator anyone can get a reasonable translation):
  • Stuffed in Menorcan style: link
  • Fried with honey in various Andalusia / Mozarabic styles: link1, link2
  • Combined with other vegetables in the oven with or without anchovies in a Catalan style: link1, link2
Do you bleed the eggplant first (ie, covering it in salt for a few minutes to let the sour juices weep out, then wiping it off)? Otherwise, I find eggplant to be too acidic.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another HIFI audiophile gear exposed by ASR.
Not an excuse for bad measurements but this not an audiophile gear. It belongs to a commercial installation range called ZoneMaster. It has remote tone and balance controls via RS-232.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what gets me sometimes. These tests are interesting and good in an academic sense, but a lot of the results are completely inaudible compared to other gear that may measure better.
May than I ask you why you are here? Because posts like these “gets me” too. Check the name of the forum again! Please…

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you bleed the eggplant first (ie, covering it in salt for a few minutes to let the sour juices weep out, then wiping it off)? Otherwise, I find eggplant to be too acidic.

It won't hurt certainly. But is not necessary if the peel is not eaten or if the eggplant is fried in an Andalusia fashion, with flour and oil at high temperature. In all cases though, to remove nasty flavors, it's important to be fully cooked, it's not like a pepper that you can eat raw or cooked. If you plan to use it in a more rawish form, so to speak, then it's a good idea to treat them previously with salty water, as you explain.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Not an excuse for bad measurements but this not an audiophile gear. It belongs to a commercial installation range called ZoneMaster. It has remote tone and balance controls via RS-232.

The Pre 200 belongs to the NewClassic Series, not the ZoneMaster. The Commercial Installation series from Parasound are the ZoneMaster and ZCustom. The NewClassic Series is supposed to be the steep bellow the Halo Series. Both, Halo and NewClassic are intended for home use.

Transmaniacon

May than I ask you why you are here? Because posts like these “gets me” too. Check the name of the forum again! Please…

While the science is important, it’s also good to be able to understand the data in a real world sense. Sure one DAC might have a lower noise floor than another, and that may make it better, but in actuality both are operating beyond the realm of human hearing. I enjoy seeing things measured, but that doesn’t mean I can’t interpret the data in my own way and understand the context of what is being discussed.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The HT Bypass in the Parasound P6 and HINT6 are unique and you won't find them on any other pre amp/integrated amp in the market.[/QUOTE]

How does the Parasound HT bypass differ from that in the Anthem STR preamp?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The HT Bypass in the Parasound P6 and HINT6 are unique and you won't find them on any other pre amp/integrated amp in the market.

How does the Parasound HT bypass differ from that in the Anthem STR preamp?[/QUOTE]

The P6 and HINT6 are fully analog, including the bass management section. Second, the STR Pre is irrelevant as it was discontinued ;)

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How does the Parasound HT bypass differ from that in the Anthem STR preamp?

The P6 and HINT6 are fully analog, including the bass management section. Second, the STR Pre is irrelevant as it was discontinued ;)[/QUOTE]
that's interesting, thanks. I know the STR has/had a full analog feature but it did not include bass management. The STR series is still listed on their web page but my dealer implied they may discontinue it. sigh, thanks for the update.

MarkS

Major Contributor
The name of the forum is "audio science review", not "electronics engineering review". And audio science says that the electronics-engineering shortcomings of this product are almost certainly inaudible to almost certainly everyone (possibly excepting clicks and pops on vinyl, if you care about that). So there is a group of us who just don't care about inaudible electronics-engineering shortcomings, and feel frustrated that reviews here seem to emphasize them.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
…audio science says that the electronics-engineering shortcomings of this product are almost certainly inaudible to almost certainly everyone (possibly excepting clicks and pops on vinyl, if you care about that).
Care to show us any scientific papers to prove that “almost certainty”? Start a new thread if you can substantiate your argument.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Top Bottom