• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR with eARC, 5.1/7.1 analog input, Dolby and DTS?

hipis_1

HI.
I'm looking and looking AVR with eARC, 5.1 or 7.1 analog input (for my old SACD player) and Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and older formats. Poor choice. I think only Marantz SR6015 and up. No Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer. There is NAD T758 but with older ARC I think and Atmos DTS:X but I don't know what more.
Full HDMI 2.1 would be good but eARC maybe enough.
Do you know any AVR with features I need? For music 2.0 & 5.1 and films. But not for bag of gold. More or less for the price Marantz SR6015.

Golfx

Forum Donor
No Denon? If you read the reviews on this website the Denons measure the best. The NADs are having reliability and customer service problems recently.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HI.
Poor choice. I think only Marantz SR6015 and up. No Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer.
1- Why?
2- Any specific reason?
3- If you have narrowed down to only Marantz, how difficult is to just go to website and read the line up specs/features ? Most brands even let you compare between their own products.

OP
H

hipis_1

At least one - there is no RCA 5.1/7.1 input in Denon avrs and my dvd player plays 5.1 dvd audio via HDMi but 5.1 from SACD only via 5.1 analog output. I thought about new player - UHD - but there is no Oppo or used and quite expensive, Sony doesn't have automatic Dolby Vision (I have tv with DV) and Reavon 200 is expensive (more than any avr I need)

Golfx

Forum Donor
Huh. I don’t think that is true. Have you visited denon website or Crutchfield? Denon AVRs A110 and 8500HA do for sure (analog 7.1 inputs) and probably less expensive ones too.

OP
H

hipis_1

Huh. I don’t think that is true. Have you visited denon website or Crutchfield? Denon AVRs A110 and 8500HA do for sure (analog 7.1 inputs) and probably less expensive ones too.
Both Denons are 2-3 times more expensive than Marantz SR6015 in my country. I checked other Denons and even Denon AVC-X6700H has no 7.1 analog in. Crutchfield shows mentioned Marantz, Nad T758 and some Rotel for $$$.
Denon AVC-X3700H would be great if it had 7.1 analog input.
But Marantz SR6015 is so bad for the ears?

SpaceMonkey

Which SACD player is this?
I would just get a basic universal player with sacd support (actually i do have one) and hdmi out and connect it directly to the avr. Way easier.

OP
H

hipis_1

Which SACD player is this?
I would just get a basic universal player with sacd support (actually i do have one) and hdmi out and connect it directly to the avr. Way easier.
Denon Dvd-1930. Old but it works.
Which universal player? Uhd?

SpaceMonkey

Denon Dvd-1930. Old but it works.
Which universal player? Uhd?
First of all, I am not sure whether you checked HDMI version on your player. Either way I think your player can output SACD/DSD as multichannel PCM signal via HDMI so you just play everything via HDMI. Newer players could push SACD/DSD as bitstream via HDMI as well. This might be an option for you as well.

Secondly, I don't know where you are located but many Sony blu-ray players do SACD, e.g:
Ultra cheap Sony UBP-X500 (with only HDMI out for any data, just right)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-UBP-X500-Ultra-Blu-Ray-Player-Black/dp/B07GC2ZXGB/
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-BDP-S...4b741&pd_rd_wg=Df2J7&pd_rd_i=B01KQH362U&psc=1

OP
H

hipis_1

My dvd has HDMI 1.1 so only dvd audio 5.1. I checked it with my friend's avr and I think I didn't miss anything.
Sony, maybe, but I read about one of the best Sony UHD player where you have to choose Dolby Vision manually. You know, I don't want to have 3 players in the near future.

tecnogadget

I would not complicate my self and just get a second hand Sony Blu-Ray player for just $25 that can play SACD trough HDMI. Lots of Sony players do, even 1 decade old ones.

OP
H

hipis_1

I would not complicate my self and just get a second hand Sony Blu-Ray player for just $25 that can play SACD trough HDMI. Lots of Sony players do, even 1 decade old ones.
So it must have bitstream via hdmi or dsd via hdmi in specification?
Denon 4700H is nice too. I read that a little bit better for music (better processor)

tecnogadget

If the AVR support DSD ok (even though you know what's going to happen inside the AVR...DSD will be converted to PCM) or just select on the Sony player to output SACD as LPCM. 4700H is a nice one, but here Amir measured the 3700H and it is already good enough.

OP
H

hipis_1

Yes, but there were a lot of Volts, Watts, distortions etc. and just a little bit about sound.
DSD always must be converted to PCM at the end. Am I right?

SpaceMonkey

Yes, but there were a lot of Volts, Watts, distortions etc. and just a little bit about sound.
DSD always must be converted to PCM at the end. Am I right?
Anyone will have very hard time distinguishing native dsd in the dac vs dsd converted to pcm.
Dsd has no need to be converted if you dont use any processing like eq, audissey, dirac, meaning pure direct. But to be honest, I would not be concerned about dsd to pcm conversion at all.

TinCanFury

Anyone will have very hard time distinguishing native dsd in the dac vs dsd converted to pcm.
Dsd has no need to be converted if you dont use any processing like eq, audissey, dirac, meaning pure direct. But to be honest, I would not be concerned about dsd to pcm conversion at all.
DSD to PCM conversion loses the time domain advantages that DSD provides.

As you said, though, if playing back an SACD through an AVR is what's going on, time domain issues will not likely be noticed. But just to be complete in what is lost in that conversion.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DSD to PCM conversion loses the time domain advantages that DSD provides.

As you said, though, if playing back an SACD through an AVR is what's going on, time domain issues will not likely be noticed. But just to be complete in what is lost in that conversion.
What time domain advantages?
And how audible are those if any?

Top Bottom