• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ok, what about top three female rock vocalists?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. I have to admit I had to google who Ann Wilson is since two people have mentioned her. Must be an American thing ... ;-)
You will get a much better feel for what Ann Wilson has done if you wiki her sister
Nancy Wilson (rock musician)

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
You may know the song Barracuda
Nope! Heart seem to have completely escaped my attention ... along with probably a lot of 'classic' American rock of that period that didn't make much impression in Europe and especially not in Britain. At least not on me.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Madonna does a head stand before she starts singing. She's a athlete and a entertainer and a singer.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders)

Chrissy Amphlett (Divinyls) (RIP)

Cher

JSmith

ADU

Major Contributor
Jimmy Hendrix was not much of a singer, was he? He was expressive and had some charisma but his guitar playing was a bit better.

For sure. I am no expert on the subject. But it seems that his singing was better on some of the earlier tunes. It is probably difficult though to do both at the same time. And so the vocals took more of a back seat as the instrumentals became more dominant. Or so it seems.

I think he sang on most of his tracks though. And he also covered other artist's songs as well. And he definitely had his own uniquely groovy style.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Something older - Gianna Nannini (Italian rock singer) was quite famous in Europe in the 80ies. Here's a song from the Festival Rock am Ring 1985 - and if I remember correctly I was there.:D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The other surprise is the little young woman playing the big bass: Tal Wilkenfeld. She must have been 23 back then.

She does also sing (but not what I would consider as rock):

I have this video with her playing bass with Herbie Hancock and ensemble. She has some tasty bass playing.

Top Bottom