• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ok, what about top three female rock vocalists?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if these are rock in the purest sense but here goes my fun female list and not my serious female singer list :D

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Kate Bush
Good idea.
Amy Lee - Evanescence
Dolores O'Riordan - The Cranberries
Shirley Manson - Gargabe
Madonna (if she can be considered rock)
Well in that case I think I can have Sheila Chandra.
Not sure if these are rock in the purest sense but here goes my fun female list and not my serious female singer list :D
Then I complete my list with

Reactions: ADU

ADU

Major Contributor
Pretty tough to narrow it down to three,:)

Indeed. It was very hard to leave some of the others mentioned here off my list. But one has to draw a line somewhere, I guess. :(:)

If the category was limited to classic rock, then I'd also have to show some love to Stevie Nicks, Heart/Wilson sisters, Linda Ronstadt, and Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders. Because I think it would be hard to call yourself a fan of rock and roll if you didn't like, or at least appreciate some of the work of those fine ladies.

I'm also a Garbage and Cranberries fan as well. So it was also difficult to leave folks like Shirley Manson and Dolores off the list.

I'm not as big of a Gwen Stefani/No Doubt fan, but I think she also belongs in the conversation. Along with folks like Bjork (as bluefuzz noted above), Kate Pierson & Cindy Wilson of the B-52's, Florence Welch of Florence & the Machine, Martha Davis of The Motels, Sheryl Crow, Fiona Apple, Courtney Love, Tori Amos... And maybe also some folks like MIA, Grimes, and Yolandi Visser of Die Antwoord.

There are alot of good newbies too. So maybe somebody like Billie Eilish also belongs in this conversation?

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
Spend a few minutes with this one and lets see if this makes you feel good:

Enjoyed the above, Raitsa. Quite alot. But whenever I hear "Stairway" now, I'm afraid this also comes to mind. :)

It is what it is (as the kids like to say). And I find the above clip rather funny and on point, because when I was a kid, this is the song that everyone my age with a guitar wanted to play... all the time. :cool:

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a fairly extensive list with BestFemaleRockSingers poll here:
I upvoted these as my Top3 poll-choices for '70s female rockers, w/an edgy sound: Patti Smith (#23), MarianneFaithful (#86), and TinaTurner (#5)

Sad that there were no upvotes for DeborahAnnHarry (Blondie), KatePierson (B-52s) and that (now) old-hag MaDonna. They were not just hot-ticket items (literal and figurative) but they also paved fresh new direction for the rock of that era.
Moving forward to the 21st Century rock, Billie Eilish has to be given much credit for creating an alternative avenue for not just other new female rockers to get recognized.

There is also a Top30 list here, Top50 FemaleAlbums list here, as references on this nice topic.

Last edited:
OP
Oldasdrt

Oldasdrt

Noone mentioned Hendrix in the male rock vocals thread either. I guess lot of folks here just aren't old enough to really appreciate that style of singing anymore?
I do,:) Neil Young,perhaps,

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
If you are talking exclusively rock I would have to exclude Linda Ronstadt and Carly Simon because they do so much of outside of the rock genre.

Then my list would be in order:
Pat Benatar
Ann Wilson
Stevie Nicks

I have listened to all the five above mentioned over the years except Carly Simon.

I have listened to all three on my rock only list in the last few years and I have to say Pat Benatar’s voice has aged the best.

I have another concert by her next week and I am very excited!

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Noone mentioned Hendrix in the male rock vocals thread either. I guess lot of folks here just aren't old enough to really appreciate that style of singing anymore?

Jimmy Hendrix was not much of a singer, was he? He was expressive and had some charisma but his guitar playing was a bit better.

Aldoszx

Tarja Turunen
Chiara Tricarico
Clémentine Delauney

Top Bottom