• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thoughts on Audioholics discussion on "Improving Loudspeaker Specifications Standards for Consumers"

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
It is a weird video and concept. It should have just been Tony's presentation about work he is doing in CEDIA or create a spec sheet for speakers when advertised. Having the rest of the guests there made no sense to me, nor did it make sense to make it a "live" session.

I don't understand the concept of these "live" youtubes where there is no time to hardly take any questions from people watching. They should do them offline and then take the opportunity to fix the audio/video issues they had.
Agree. I’m not sure why I was there. At one long stretch we just sat while Tony presented his slides ( some of them on loudspeaker measurements and listener preferences which was my work ), and I almost got up to make a sandwich and pour a glass of wine. :)

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The salesmen would not understand significance of these disclosures much less 99% of buyers.

That doesn’t matter. For one, when you keep hiding the facts, you’ll never educate the buyers. Secondly, even if some people don’t understand, others do, and there is pressure on the companies to deliver decently measuring products. See what happened to the DAC market in a few years since people like Amir started calling them out.

But none of this will happen. Companies in general are not interest in delivering decently measuring products. They need to differentiate.

amper42

Major Contributor
Agree. I’m not sure why I was there. At one long stretch we just sat while Tony presented his slides ( some of the. were my work ) there and I almost got up to make a sandwich and pour a glass of wine. :)

@Sean Olive - I noticed you had the Salon2 speakers highlighted in the background during the video. Do you still prefer them by a wide margin over the Revel F328Be? Is there a new version of the Salon2 on the drawing board? Thank you!

chelgrian

But none of this will happen. Companies in general are not interest in delivering decently measuring products. They need to differentiate.

I think you could get it off the ground in the Studio Monitor market. If you get the mid price companies on board with first party measurement with better performance than 3rd party measurements of expensive products then there is a business reason to do it.

beaRA

In my view, it could be in the best interest of loudspeaker companies to disclose more (at least for those with the engineering capability to produce decent results). Seems like market share is consistently lost to soundbars or "meh the TV speakers are good enough". These companies need to educate consumers on why their solutions are better if they ever hope to reverse that trend. Same goes for any speaker company hoping to sell their more expensive models. It's not clear to the uninformed consumer what they are getting for their money. "Trust us, it sounds good" doesn't seem to be a compelling sell anymore.

On the format of the video itself, seems like the concept had to undergo a last second pivot so I won't give them too hard of a time. I think Anthony Grimani was trying to provide a lot of background information for the uninformed viewer to understand the concepts discussed. Unfortunately, that meant not enough time for the other panelists to provide input.

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
@Sean Olive - I noticed you had the Salon2 speakers highlighted in the background during the video. Do you still prefer them by a wide margin over the Revel F328Be? Is there a new version of the Salon2 on the drawing board? Thank you!
I purchased my Salon 2s before the F328Be's were available... The F328's measure better, are more sensitive but don't have as much LF extension. We set them up in the MLL and did a blind comparison briefly and the differences are probably not sufficient for me to switch.
I've not heard of what plans are in store for Salon 2s or 3s. I'm happy with them for now.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Sean Olive , it is funny that we live so close by. I wonder if by chance unknowingly we bumped into each other at the local Ralph's or ice cream at Tifa's...
Good I didn't recognize you around here. I would have bombarded you with questions!

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
@Sean Olive , it is funny that we live so close by. I wonder if by chance unknowingly we bumped into each other at the local Ralph's or ice cream at Tifa's...
Good I didn't recognize you around here. I would have bombarded you with questions!
Yes, I am in Oak Park, so we are within 3-4 miles .

I mostly do groceries at Costco, Trader Joes so you we might bump into me there or CVS on Kanan/1000 Oaks Blvd :)

OP
J

johnp98

Agree. I’m not sure why I was there. At one long stretch we just sat while Tony presented his slides ( some of them on loudspeaker measurements and listener preferences which was my work ), and I almost got up to make a sandwich and pour a glass of wine. :)
I am becoming more and more reluctant to teach in my profession unless I know who all is involved and how many people will attend so I hope this one experience does not deter you from future information sessions.

I wonder if you would ever have an interview with @hardisj or @amirm that is more one on one and allows you to present more content / information or answer specific questions. Or are there any specific or common errors you see the audio community falling into that you would like to shed light upon?

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I am becoming more and more reluctant to teach in my profession unless I know who all is involved and how many people will attend so I hope this one experience does not deter you from future information sessions.

I wonder if you would ever have an interview with @hardisj or @amirm that is more one on one and allows you to present more content / information or answer specific questions. Or are there any specific or common errors you see the audio community falling into that you would like to shed light upon?
Yes I am open to that. I already agreed to do a one on one with Erin and I’m doing a couple of headphone interviews with two others. Common errors ? Not sure about that anymore. I am pleased that there is more science and good measurements becoming available so audio is become less voodoo and more rational.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes I am open to that. I already agreed to do a one on one with Erin and I’m doing a couple of headphone interviews with two others. Common errors ? Not sure about that anymore. I am pleased that there is more science and good measurements becoming available so audio is become less voodoo and more rational.
From your keyboard to Paul McGowan's eyeballs.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom