• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is / are your most memorable camera(s)?

Old Listener

Cameras are just tools for me and for my wife. We photograph wildflowers and insects visiting them and sometimes wildlife. Panasonic micro four thirds (sensor) cameras (G6, G7 and G85) have been a huge improvements over the DSLRs we used previously. Features life focus peaking, image magnification and blown highlight detection in the viewfinder and the LCD have greatly improved our keeper rate and made the process of taking these photos more enjoyable.

lukeronchi536

My first digital camera was a 2mp of unremembered origin. It was fun to use and made some surprisingly good images. Next one was a Nikon D50 I bought when they were first introduced because I could see what was coming in the photography business.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Ricoh 500G was my best memory of a camera. Somehow it made me take pictures, more than any other camera.

KR500

Kodak Brownie
Kodak Retina IIIC
Rolleiflex TLR with 2.8 Xenotar
Canon FT with lens sets
Olympus XA2

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Olympus OM system was "memorable" for breaking after I skied it into a remote field site to take critically important photos... on a more positive note, the OM lenses were like little jewels.

Nikon F3 - great camera.

Lumix G9 - works very well; good ergonomics for such a complicated thing.

Arriflex in the 1970s - it was serious and felt like it.

Willem

Major Contributor
I loved and love my Nikkormat Ftn and its Nikkor lenses. They were indestructably reliable in demanding field work when I could only see the result once I was back in my own country. For a small camera: the Rollei 35T.

faheem

Forum Donor
Nikon D800.

images (5).jpeg

The jump in dynamic range was amazing

Olympus OMD E-M5

images (1).jpeg

The first mirrorless camera that made me take notice of the idea of serious mirrorless.

Both were revolutionary for their time and hinted at untapped potential in different ways.

Last edited:

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A Nikon F2 (105 macro my personal favourite)
A 70mm Showscan Panavision camera I worked with for over a year in the 80s filming a documentary

ENG

Forum Donor
An Nikon F1 was the best camera I had with a 35 mm and a 105 mm. Now I only use the camera in my iPhone Xs, it’s enough for me.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That Rollei makes me recall my Olympus XA - it got hiked, skied, clumb (?) and backpacked all over this continent

MikeStark

The Olympus XA2

A super compact and reliable film camera with good optics, fully automatic exposure and a scale focusing system. I took pictures without worrying about technical shooting parameters.

An important advantage of the Olympus XA2 is the manual ISO sensitivity setting of the film. This makes it possible to not only easily maneuver shooting parameters and actively use Push/Pull processes when necessary, but also to shoot on hand-wound photographic film without a DX code - such as OSCAR film.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Minolta Maxxum 7000. My father bought one hot off the shelf in 1985. I used it far more than he did and it was my first experience with an SLR. Auto focus and auto film advance was SOTA at the time. Lots of great photos and memories due to that camera.

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 3.28.23 PM.png

TheWalkman

Have a collection of about 100 analog cameras (includes the C3)

The most fun ones are the Minox 35 range (have most of them) and Rollei 35 (a few of them) as they are small and take great pics. Also the Olympus XA series (XA 1 to 4).
Of the small ones I also owned the Contax T2 for a while.
View attachment 27472

Solderdude,

I, too, was a fan of the Olympus XA’s. Great backpacking/ biking camera in the day. Great stuff!

gene_stl

Forum Donor
Nikon F F2 F3 The F and F2 are battleships. F3 exposure meter totally unbelievable in range.
Coolpix 990 and 4500 A great shooter and goes on microscopes great. (zoom and focus don't move camera and body when mounted to scope by the lens thread. Early favorite of microscopists even professionals. Good macro capability too.)
Olympus OM D M5 mk ii. Completely, unbelievably, wonderful camera.
My Samsung S6 "smart" phone takes great pictures too with it's tiny little lens and tiny little 16mp sensor. When mounted to a microscope (easy to do) it captures more than you can see quite easily.

Grumpish

The Olympus OM1-n was probably my favourite, and the lenses were superb. Best lens award probably has to go to the 80mm on a Bronica SQ-A I had for a while, though - I have some scans from slides that are every bit the equal of current 30Mp+ full frame SLR's. Pain in the butt to carry around though.

Last edited:

Neddy

I still have (!) my Olympus XA (with film still in it!). I used 5247 from Seattle Film Works almost exclusively with it.
Recently I started scanning all my old slides (about a thousand to go) and have been really impressed with how well those things have held up, if not the memories, exactly.
Not really any kind of knowlegable (had a photographer friend, tho) about it, but also had a 70s era camera (ah...Canon Cannonet 1.7) that had a super fast lens and was a delight to use...but ended up in a girlfriends hands, sadly.

Top Bottom