• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming back to your teenage > the most memorable slows

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... that surely helped you to become a man at last ;)

Haflermichi

Iron Maiden, Powerslave-World Slavery Tour, Honolulu, 1985.
Note the decimal place on the price...! Kind of hard to believe. Today it would be one to the right, at least.
Added bonus: Event date was my birthday.
IronMaiden stub 1985.JPG

Grumpish

The ones that I couldn't remember because of the quantity of recreational pharm... OK, maybe better to not go there.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bruce Springsteen at the Meadowlands 1985. We slept out for tickets and show was sold out before we left the parking lot. The tour was winding down but he and the band played for 4 hours.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most crowd-disappointing show I witnessed as a youth was in the early '70s. John Mayall (a man who changed band members as frequently as most people change underwear) was fronting his new Jazz-Blues Fusion organization. Musically they were exceptional, tight and played off each other well, improvising. However, the crowd was 'rock 'n roll' oriented, and like that Dire Straights song, they really didn't give a damn about a trumpet playing band (in this case, Blue Mitchell).

A year or two earlier, John had had a 'big' hit (LOL) with his Turning Point band, and that's what the crowd wanted to hear. They wanted John to play Room to Move. At the end of the show, the crowd was shouting for it, asking him to play it as an encore. John stopped the music, lecturing the audience (I remember his words to this day) that that was 'old', he'd moved on, and wasn't going to play it. The crowd booed him.

I get what John was saying, but at the same time the audience was paying their salary, and would it have hurt him and the band to spend three or four minutes on that tune? I don't think anyone left happy that night. John, his band, and certainly not the audience.

I've watched a few of John's 'recent' YT shows, and he is now happy to play the tune everyone recognizes as his signature piece. Go figure.

Of note, in a case of weird programming, the 'supporting' act was a band called Poco. A southern country-rock oriented combo. Talk about a mismatched lineup. Final note--I think tickets were three or four dollars. But you could buy a gallon of gasoline for a quarter back then, on a good day.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The most crowd-disappointing show I witnessed as a youth was in the early '70s. John Mayall (a man who changed band members as frequently as most people change underwear) was fronting his new Jazz-Blues Fusion organization. Musically they were exceptional, tight and played off each other well, improvising. However, the crowd was 'rock 'n roll' oriented, and like that Dire Straights song, they really didn't give a damn about a trumpet playing band (in this case, Blue Mitchell).

A year or two earlier, John had had a 'big' hit (LOL) with his Turning Point band, and that's what the crowd wanted to hear. They wanted John to play Room to Move. At the end of the show, the crowd was shouting for it, asking him to play it as an encore. John stopped the music, lecturing the audience (I remember his words to this day) that that was 'old', he'd moved on, and wasn't going to play it. The crowd booed him.

I get what John was saying, but at the same time the audience was paying their salary, and would it have hurt him and the band to spend three or four minutes on that tune? I don't think anyone left happy that night. John, his band, and certainly not the audience.

I've watched a few of John's 'recent' YT shows, and he is now happy to play the tune everyone recognizes as his signature piece. Go figure.

Of note, in a case of weird programming, the 'supporting' act was a band called Poco. A southern country-rock oriented combo. Talk about a mismatched lineup. Final note--I think tickets were three or four dollars. But you could buy a gallon of gasoline for a quarter back then, on a good day.
We saw Mayall a couple years ago and were astonished at how energetic he still was, even in his 80s. Played over two hours without taking a break. And the band was terrific.

Re: his guitarists, one of them was the guy who originally got my wife and me together.

The first major concert I attended was The Who and Led Zeppelin at Laurel Raceway. I'm thinking it was maybe 1969? Opening act was a then-unknown band called Jethro Tull.

OP
Harmonie

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PROCOL HARUM - A Whiter Shade of Pale

Achhhh London ...

OP
Harmonie

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Rolling Stones - Angie - Live At Roundhay Park, Leeds / 1982

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been to some pretty bad sounding concerts and some concerts stand out as having very good sound quality.
I saw Queensryche playing the album release, "Empire." The band sounded better than the album did on CD.
Then 3 days later I went to a RUSH concert where they did all their best hits and again the sound was better than on the CD release.

On a tangent the absolute worst sound quality was a Corrosion of Conformity concert we went to zooming on lotsa shrooms and as much draft beer as we could stomach before entering. We left ~1/2 way through the show. I attribute the poor sound to the sound guys because the band sounds great on CD releases.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another concert I attended was Pantera performing it's "Vulgar Display of Power" album. The band sounded pretty much as the CD release sounded. No deviation at all. I was asked to leave as a courtesy by the bouncers after a very aggressive guy attacked me twice, hurt me and on the 3rd time he came at me I flipped him judo style overhead and that was the end of him for the night. So I left because the bouncers could not guarantee my security and said if I stayed I might be attacked by the attackers buddies. :D The tequila paralyzers at the concert where delicious while they lasted. :D We had a good chuckle about it the next day.

ADU

Major Contributor
I assume the OP meant "shows" rather than "slows" (though it's a bit unclear from some of his posts). :)

Some of the more memorable shows/acts I saw as a young adult in the 1980's include David Bowie (Glass Spider tour), Echo & the Bunnymen, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Glenn Branca, Laurie Anderson, Henry Rollins/Black Flag, LL Cool J, Siouxsie & the Banshees, The Cure, Public Enemy, The Dickies, Fishbone, The Sugarcubes (with Bjork), and Love & Rockets. There were others as well, but those are a few that seem to stick in my memory, for one reason or another. Most were in smaller venues around LA.

I saw a number of rap/hip-hop acts as well, usually at group events. And some were good live, and some not so much. It depended alot on the crowds, and how much they were into it. In addition to LL and PE, I think Ice-T and the Beastie Boys were also fairly good.

Groups I would like to have seen, but didn't (to the best of my recollection) include Queen, KISS, Iggy & the Stooges, the Sex Pistols, Bauhaus, and maybe NWA. And maybe a few of the other big rock (and metal) bands at the time, like The Stones, The Who, Elton John and U2. The tix were generally too expensive though for these artists. And some were also a little before my time.

Did any of the above help me to be more of a man?... I don't think so. :)

Last edited:
OP
Harmonie

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume the OP meant "shows" rather than "slows" (though it's a bit unclear from some of his posts). :)

Honestly, I meant slow, but seeing all other's posts I start to wonder meeself :rolleyes:

But who cares ? Just ...Let it beeeeeeeee

Top Bottom