• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the deal with mid-tier closed headphones?

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Shure AONIC 50. Wired and wireless, not only bluetooth with just about all common codecs and ANC for convenience, but also high-res digital over usb-c (also when charging) AND passive analog with a trs jack - so even when the battery is flat. It sounds great that way with my RME ADI-2.

I’d love to see it measured by Amir, but a little too far out to send it in.

https://headphonetestlab.co.uk/test-results-manufacturers-q-t-shure-aonic-50
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/shure/aonic-50-wireless
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/shure-aonic-50/

OP
zepplock

zepplock

I spent last couple of weeks with Focal Elegia and I think I will keep those. Even though they are a bit more that what I expected to pay for a new pair of cans ($399 from Adorama).

Easy to drive. Powered by Objective Dac/Amp via Foobar on Windows.

The comfort is top notch. Soft headband, but they don't slide anywhere, soft/plush pads. Ears do not touch anything. Do not get hot at all, I can sit in those all day which is a big plus. Not lightest but light enough for not causing discomfort.

Mine came with Focal Clear's cable (black with silver connectors) for whatever reason.

I did EQ them a bit (oratory's preset). They seem a bit bass shy for me (probably after he560's amazing bass).

Transmaniacon

I spent last couple of weeks with Focal Elegia and I think I will keep those. Even though they are a bit more that what I expected to pay for a new pair of cans ($399 from Adorama).

The comfort is top notch. Soft headband, but they don't slide anywhere, soft/plush pads. Ears do not touch anything. Do not get hot at all, I can sit in those all day which is a big plus. Not lightest but light enough for not causing discomfort.

Mine came with Focal Clear's cable (black with silver connectors) for whatever reason.

I did EQ them a bit (oratory's preset). They seem a bit bass shy for me (probably after he560's amazing bass).

How is the comfort on the headband?

OP
zepplock

zepplock

How is the comfort on the headband?

It's very good. Even though I personally favor the suspension headbands like AKG 271/7xx or my he560v3, the one on Elegia is very very comfortable. It's also not too thin to cause scalping but also not too thick or not too flat to mess up your hair! ;)

I also want to add that for my head size clamping force is perfect so that the weight is distributed between cups pushing around your ears and head band. Not sure if I describe it correctly, but I had headphones where the whole weight was resting on the headband and it was uncomfortable for long duration.

Last edited:

KR500

Transmania, I have never listened to the 569, or another Sennheiser.
If it wasn't for the smeary low bass issue of the 990z's I would have kept them .
The low bass on my 770 Pro's is better controlled.
The soundstage and mids on the Beyer and Audio Technica are both very similar. Treble on the 990's not as pronounced as the Beyer.
I couldn't find measurements or frequency response online or at Audio Technica.com for the 990z

Transmaniacon

Transmania, I have never listened to the 569, or another Sennheiser.
If it wasn't for the smeary low bass issue of the 990z's I would have kept them .
The low bass on my 770 Pro's is better controlled.
The soundstage and mids on the Beyer and Audio Technica are both very similar. Treble on the 990's not as pronounced as the Beyer.
I couldn't find measurements or frequency response online or at Audio Technica.com for the 990z

Thanks for the feedback, I like the open Sennheiser sound, so we will see how the closed cans do. I may put those 990Z on my radar if I end up not liking the HD569. I definitely enjoy airy and detailed treble, but not to the point where it becomes sibilant. Back in the day I had AKG K553 Pro which had a nice sound, but comfort was lacking.

Transmaniacon

Just a bit of an update on the HD 569 vs HD 6XX.

The 569 have more bass and impact, though I need to get an amp to really let my 6XX shine. Sound is obviously more spatious on the 6XX, but it feels a bit more airy and male vocals have more weight to them than on the 569. Certainly don't dislike the 569, they are very comfortable and have a mass appeal sound. I think the K371 sounds better than the 569, better detail and the soundstage seems wider, but these are more comfortable and the build quality is excellent.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you have a 560 is there any reason to get the Elegia?

aandres_gm

Be aware that the Elegia has as very poorly designed heaband that can potentially snap in two

ziddy76

I'm a bind with a the Focal Elegia
- They sound terrible without EQ. Was shocked at how awful these are, considering they seem to get above average, favorable reviews.
- But I'm enjoying them with EQ. Both using Sonarworks or the Peace APO EQ based on the hearing test.
- I'm thinking, a headphone that can't be enjoyed without EQ, has some inherent flaws.

I'll probably order a pair of Shure 1540 and then compare the two and decide which to keep. Because I do want a pair of closed headphone. Considering my all time favorite headphone is the AT R70x, seems the 1540 may be more suitable.

After listening to the Elegia and then returning back to the r70x, almost as if the sound has cleared up, fatiguing sound. I've never had headphones quite like these before, never heard fatiguing mids until now. Listening to the R70x after, my ears feel relief.

Last edited:

blse59

The MDR-7506 is the closest thing to a standard in the headphone world that exists. Crystal clear sound and you can hear everything in the mix.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's because they are monitoring headphones and have substantially elevated upper mids/lower treble to highlight certain details.
For this reason they are often found in studios. Less suited for hifi enjoyment. Some folks like the added clarity though.

blse59

Some folks like the added clarity though.
Yep, that be me. I think a lot of people appreciate the crystal clarity if you go by the Amazon reviews. Not so much what the reviews say but the sheer volume of them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
AKG, Grado's and the HD560S are alternatives.
Of course the Grado and the well known AKG K612,K701,K702 are all bass shy comp. to HD560S and 7506.
The HD560S has less clarity boost and is more 'hifi'.

ziddy76

Whats the deal with the Elegias? Those arent cheap by any standards.

Focal have nurtured and cultivated a strong reputation for horrific quality control and durability and longevity of their headphones with their collaboration with Drop. Truly mystifying why they do this. It's been an issue from the very beginning and still with the latest shipments in 2021, Drop customers are reporting Focal continues to ship headphones with drivers dead on arrival. And there were some issues with their earlier Elear and Clear as well, not consistent QC. I have not read of severe issues with Elegia and their later Clear Mg, or Utopia and other headphones.

What is weird is they have a strong reputation for professionals with their speaker monitors and professional gear always has to be reliable and durable. Why they didn't do that with Elex is confusing for sure.

But for whatever reasons, Focal has a mission to continue to maintain their horrific reputation. A reviewer I like has said he has had Drop send him three Focal Elex now and all three are useless now. They ship out drivers that die after a year, or on arrival etc. Drop customer service has just been sending out replacements pretty much no questions asked since it's all they can do.

Focal has not made any statements as to why they don't even check to see if the headphones they are shipping out work or not or what the problem is or any plans to rectify or change.

As you said, what's the deal with Focal? I dunno, cause their broken headphones aren't cheap. And with the Elegia I'm listening to now, I'm wondering, when will these die?

Last edited:
Top Bottom