• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

freddianz

Could anyone with a Node comment on whether digital attenuation works on it?

I have just received my node,
As i previously planned, here's my chain;

Apple tv 4K to the LG C1 via HDMI
LG C1 to the Node via HDMI eArc
Node to an external DAC (SMSL SU 9) via Optical out
SMSL SU9 to the Neumann KH80 via XLR.

To my surprise, I can actually control the volume using apple tv remote itself.
(with airplay no issue, but even with hdmi eArc set as input for the node, I am able to use apple tv / LG remote to control volume, I'm happy.)

And just to add another convenient thing to this,
using IR learning feature, any remote can learn to do volume up, volume down, mute. pause, play, etc ( tried with apple remote for the volume control only and it works)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have just received my node,
As i previously planned, here's my chain;

Apple tv 4K to the LG C1 via HDMI
LG C1 to the Node via HDMI eArc
Node to an external DAC (SMSL SU 9) via Optical out
SMSL SU9 to the Neumann KH80 via XLR.

To my surprise, I can actually control the volume using apple tv remote itself.
(with airplay no issue, but even with hdmi eArc set as input for the node, I am able to use apple tv / LG remote to control volume, I'm happy.)

And just to add another convenient thing to this,
using IR learning feature, any remote can learn to do volume up, volume down, mute. pause, play, etc ( tried with apple remote for the volume control only and it works)
That’s great to hear. It seems many manufacturers just program for the Apple TV remote out of the box. It’s $30? At least the older one I think.

If you are a little audiophile OCD maybe a preamp volume control is “better” but at 24 bit depth I doubt it matters. The convenience of using the Apple TV remote for volume outweighs those (likely unnecessary) complications. At least Bluesound/Lenbrook got that right. In fact it seems the only problem here is Apple and their limitations with regard to the Apple TV hdmi output.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36131

Haven't used Bluesound, but from everything I've read, the Sonos app beats the BS app handily. I've used Sonos extensively, but have moved to LMS and RPi. I find the Material Skin UI to be a big improvement vs the Sonos app, which means I would no doubt prefer it to the BS app.

The wide range of music services is an advantage of Sonos and BS vs LMS, but really, how many services does one require? Qobuz and Spotify (along with a few radio stations via TuneIn and the BBC plugins) are more that enough for me.

Sorry, but I'd say it's pretty much impossible to "hear" differences in sound quality via spdif between any two bitperfect sources...

I agree, one person might only have 1 or 2 paid music services at the most. Then just backfill your music with Internet radio...you'll have more music than you can possibly listen too and enjoy for the rest of your life.

I also enjoy LMS with the material skin....I use it for my 'whole-house' needs....tablets in the kitchen and other strategic locations to control music at various places inside and outside the house. Material Skin looks good and is easy to navigate as well.....good WAF value.

As music lovers we are lucky to have so many good choices of software/hardware available esp free software like LMS/Squeezelite, and the valuable work of so many who make it possible for us to enjoy. All those devs who spend their time working on this stuff and share it with us for free certainly deserve a donation from the audiophile world.

freddianz

The limiting factor here is the Apple TV and not the LG correct?
On this, maybe both I guess? Because using tidal app directly from its LG TV app also does not output higher than 48KHz (hdmi eArc or optical), as far as I can tell, happy to be proven wrong :)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
But wouldn't you basically limit everything you send through the apple TV to 48khz?
If you are a little audiophile OCD maybe a preamp volume control is “better” but at 24 but depth I doubt it matters. The convenience of using the Apple TV remote for volume outweighs those (likely unnecessary) complications. At least Bluesound/Lenbrook got that right. In fact it seems the only problem here is Apple and their limitations with regard to the Apple TV hdmi output.

So you are using the apple TV to stream music through your TV to a external DAC , only to be able to use the apple remote?

I get that usecase for movies, since they are limited to 48khz through the apple TV anyway.

But for music you could just use the QOBUZ app. Or if you are fan of lossy audio, tidal or Spotify.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On this, maybe both I guess? Because using tidal app directly from its LG TV app also does not output higher than 48KHz (hdmi eArc or optical), as far as I can tell, happy to be proven wrong :)

Very hard to find into on this. Nobody really cares except us. However as I suspected - since LG is the one company that has been on top of their game - it is not the limit. They have single handedly accelerated the release of HDMI 2.1 and have brought out almost every feature consumers could need.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questi...question/adb7f4cd-91e7-3e71-b54e-4fb849a41d6a

Here’s more “evidence” I guess: https://www.lg.com/us/sound-bars/lg-sn10yg-sound-bar

Generally in these situations I point the finger at LG last because they’ve earned it. Most problem free, limit free purchase ever. You can buy their OLED blind. Have not been disappointed about anything with the TV. With 120Hz it even does VRR down to 30fps. Just a perfect piece of electronics.

If I had to guess the tidal app issue is a webos issue more than a TV hardware issue. I suppose I can could test it when it comes hopefully today or tomorrow. I’ll send 24/96 from a PC.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But wouldn't you basically limit everything you send through the apple TV to 48khz?

So you are using the apple TV to stream music through your TV to a external DAC , only to be able to use the apple remote?

I get that usecase for movies, since they are limited to 48khz through the apple TV anyway.

But for music you could just use the QOBUZ app. Or if you are fan of lossy audio, tidal or Spotify.
My setup is LG eARC to node to genelec digital (once they arrive). There is no outboard dac. To the LG OLED is connected a Mac mini, Windows PC, PS5 and Apple TV. I could use Apple Music on the PC or the Mac to play my music if I wish. You must be getting mixed up.

The Apple TV remote controls the Node directly. The Apple TV itself does not do volume control unless the attached speaker is a pair of HomePods.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It came in and it was the fastest product from box to setup I’ve setup. Power supply is built in. Unit is pretty hefty. Came with Ethernet, power and rca cables.

I have Apple Music playing from the Mac Mini through the LG to the blusound. Apple Music says the song is playing 24/192 ALAC. I have no way of knowing what exactly the Blusound is getting. The app just has a HDMI ARC input that says “your player is receiving input from the hdmi arc”. That’s it. Volume control on the bottom.

I noticed IR learning in the app which I couldn’t get to work with either the Apple TV remote or the LG remote. I’ll have to troubleshoot that.

It’s been a while since I’ve used my KEF ls50w. I have forgotten if it shows the input bitrate in the app. I somehow doubt it. How would I go about figuring this out?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
That's not consistent with user reviews on the Google Play Store. Sonos app rates 3.8; BluOS 4.4.
Opposite on the Apple store. BluOS Controller 2.2, Sonos 4.7. Plus, reviews I've read all favor the Sonos app.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Opposite on the Apple store. BluOS Controller 2.2, Sonos 4.7. Plus, reviews I've read all favor the Sonos app.
Interesting. I guess the usefulness of available applications is highly dependent upon whether you're an iOS or Android kind of guy or gal.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Why are you going through the TV to play music instead of just using Airplay or qobuz for example? Has the bluesound no usb input so you could just play apple music through usb?

Only the apple TV device and airplay are limited to 48khz.

A Mac mini , MacBook or a iPad are able to output everything a Windows computer is able to do.

The LG oleds have the option to decode pcm and bitstream. And there is a "passtrough" option as well in the settings.

Last edited:

RadioBuddha

I agree, one person might only have 1 or 2 paid music services at the most. Then just backfill your music with Internet radio...you'll have more music than you can possibly listen too and enjoy for the rest of your life.

I also enjoy LMS with the material skin....I use it for my 'whole-house' needs....tablets in the kitchen and other strategic locations to control music at various places inside and outside the house. Material Skin looks good and is easy to navigate as well.....good WAF value.

As music lovers we are lucky to have so many good choices of software/hardware available esp free software like LMS/Squeezelite, and the valuable work of so many who make it possible for us to enjoy. All those devs who spend their time working on this stuff and share it with us for free certainly deserve a donation from the audiophile world.

I don't want to divert the thread, if there is another thread that addresses this, please offer a link, but does anyone have an IOS or MacOS app that does a good job of organizing internet radio stations and allows for the saving of presets? I realize TuneIn is a major one and maybe there is nothing better but there are a few issues with that one and it seems that many stations hit you with an annoying ad or station ID prompt when starting the stream, I don't know if there is an alternative way to access WQXR for example and go right into the music.

Also does anyone now the power consumption of the Bluesound Node, it is not listed in the owner's manual.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New use case is hoping they deliver soon on USB output. Which I hope to connect to a MAC to run all my room correction and bass management on.

ThomasMac

New use case is hoping they deliver soon on USB output. Which I hope to connect to a MAC to run all my room correction and bass management on.
They told me that even though they didn't have a exact date that I should look for the upgrade happening in "a few months". That was about 2 and a half months ago. So, we'll see.

D

Deleted member 36131

This USB output upgrade will put the BS on another level as a digital source component.

I have two USB converters just waiting to be hooked up...:D

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m waiting to see how the USB works out before jumping on it.
Like the Nodes and have original and Node 2 but the USB out is what I wanted from day 1

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally agree and funny how it is side product of needing to support MQA. Well at least something good came of it.

Sound_freq

No, you said it had zero dac capabilities. Which is just wrong. What we don't know is how it performs as a DAC.

Without knowing that it's hard to compare its value to the Node.
There are some that think pretty highly of the sound of the dacs in the CXN V2. 13th Note seemed to find the level of detail retrieval on the CXN V2 comparable to the Chord Qutest. -

Top Bottom