• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mcintosh: the looks

avanti1960

I was of the camp, Mcintosh is not very appealing looks and doesn't do it for me.. Never had seen one in person until recently.. Now that I discovered a local high end store, and ended up getting the C53 and MC462 I have flipped.. I think they are beautiful, and I love how the combo sounds compared to the P6/A21+ parasound that I have.. Do I need to be run out of town for liking the looks of the Mcintosh? Do people think the blue glow is gimmicky? I love them..
Try the C53 with the a21+ if you can just for a reference. The P6 is not very good- at all.
Mac can sound and look excellent. Their latest solid state amplifiers, preamps and integrated amps look very nice.
Never cared for their tube amplifiers and some of the classics are a mixed bag.
The new hybrid integrated amps sound great but look like range tops, I keep expecting a burner to start glowing red.

The sound of their solid state amplification pairs excellently with typically brighter more forward speakers- B&W, KEF, even Klipsch Heritage.
Pair them with some laid back Brit monitors and not such a good mix.
Good haul !

OP
R

rman9

Try the C53 with the a21+ if you can just for a reference. The P6 is not very good- at all.
Mac can sound and look excellent. Their latest solid state amplifiers, preamps and integrated amps look very nice.
Never cared for their tube amplifiers and some of the classics are a mixed bag.
The new hybrid integrated amps sound great but look like range tops, I keep expecting a burner to start glowing red.

The sound of their solid state amplification pairs excellently with typically brighter more forward speakers- B&W, KEF, even Klipsch Heritage.
Pair them with some laid back Brit monitors and not such a good mix.
Good haul !
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.. Yeah, I agree.. I was disappointed with the P6, I have to really crank it up to get any life out of it.. But I do like its base management. So I feed the unbalanced out of the source to the P6 and the balanced XLR to the C53. The P6 has two sub out that I feed to a Velodyne and Miller & Kreisel Subs. I have not ventured connecting the C53 to the A21+.. Currently the A21+ and the A51 is doing the 7.2 movie setup.. But will try your suggestion.. The MC642 which I love by the way, is driving Joseph Audio RM22si. I am waiting patiently :) for the Salk Veracity ST's whenever they get finished up.. It's four months and it's only at 23% finished.. What setup do you have, if you don't mind me asking? thanks again..

avanti1960

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.. Yeah, I agree.. I was disappointed with the P6, I have to really crank it up to get any life out of it.. But I do like its base management. So I feed the unbalanced out of the source to the P6 and the balanced XLR to the C53. The P6 has two sub out that I feed to a Velodyne and Miller & Kreisel Subs. I have not ventured connecting the C53 to the A21+.. Currently the A21+ and the A51 is doing the 7.2 movie setup.. But will try your suggestion.. The MC642 which I love by the way, is driving Joseph Audio RM22si. I am waiting patiently :) for the Salk Veracity ST's whenever they get finished up.. It's four months and it's only at 23% finished.. What setup do you have, if you don't mind me asking? thanks again..
just a thought, the a21+ is a very good value amp and it would be interesting to see how it sounds driven by the Mac preamp. I actually have an a21+ and am thinking about a Mac power amp but am thoroughly happy with the sound of my system.
I love JA speakers and I bet you will love the new Salks when they arrive. Those Seas drivers are world class and have extremely high resolution, a perfect match to the McIntosh amplifier (which is a beast ! ) Also special us the transmission line design, bass is just spectacular if done right and I bet the Salks are.
I have the Parasound a21+ being driven by a Cary Audio SLP-05 preamplifier (wonderful sound) and use Harbeth SHL5+ speakers and two RELT9i subs (should I put the flame protectant suit on now :) )?

OP
R

rman9

just a thought, the a21+ is a very good value amp and it would be interesting to see how it sounds driven by the Mac preamp. I actually have an a21+ and am thinking about a Mac power amp but am thoroughly happy with the sound of my system.
I love JA speakers and I bet you will love the new Salks when they arrive. Those Seas drivers are world class and have extremely high resolution, a perfect match to the McIntosh amplifier (which is a beast ! ) Also special us the transmission line design, bass is just spectacular if done right and I bet the Salks are.
I have the Parasound a21+ being driven by a Cary Audio SLP-05 preamplifier (wonderful sound) and use Harbeth SHL5+ speakers and two RELT9i subs (should I put the flame protectant suit on now :) )?
:) REL subs.. The only thing that put me off about them is the embossed REL symbols even on all 4 feet of the sub.. I am sought of lame when it comes to stuff like that.. But they are incredible in performance.. I seriously considered them, one of the local dealer, turned out to be like a car salesman. So I ran.. I love the REL supports balanced XLR input.. It's funny, just yesterday I was looking into streamers and came across the handsomely built caryaudio DMS 550 and 600.. Then this morning ended up ordering the Gold Note DS-10, Italian streamer.. Where is caryaudio made, is it in boulder? Yeah, the Salks.. I am looking forward to getting them.. I am sought of an impulse buyer, and the wait time is killing me.. When I put the money down, I was told it'll be three to four months, but now I wonder, if I am going to wait a year.. we'll see.. But thanks for the words of encouragement.. Lot of people seem to say the Salks are worth the wait and they offer comparable performance to higher priced speakers.. Originally I was planning to just get the C53, and hook it up to the A21+, but after I walked into the store, and listened to the combo C53/462, I felt giddy.. I had to walk out of the store drive back home and catch my breath. Drove back within an hour punching a gaping hole in my back account.. Don't regret it one bit.. Just checked the pictures of the Harberth HL5, my.. what a beauty they are.. How low do they go?

Last edited:

avanti1960

:) REL subs.. The only thing that put me off about them is the embossed REL symbols even on all 4 feet of the sub.. I am sought of lame when it comes to stuff like that.. But they are incredible in performance.. I seriously considered them, one of the local dealer, turned out to be like a car salesman. So I ran.. I love the REL supports balanced XLR input.. It's funny, just yesterday I was looking into streamers and came across the handsomely built caryaudio DMS 550 and 600.. Then this morning ended up ordering the Gold Note DS-10, Italian streamer.. Where is caryaudio made, is it in boulder? Yeah, the Salks.. I am looking forward to getting them.. I am sought of an impulse buyer, and the wait time is killing me.. When I put the money down, I was told it'll be three to four months, but now I wonder, if I am going to wait a year.. we'll see.. But thanks for the words of encouragement.. Lot of people seem to say the Salks are worth the wait and they offer comparable performance to higher priced speakers.. Originally I was planning to just get the C53, and hook it up to the A21+, but after I walked into the store, and listened to the combo C53/462, I felt giddy.. I had to walk out of the store drive back home and catch my breath. Drove back within an hour punching a gaping hole in my back account.. Don't regret it one bit.. Just checked the pictures of the Harberth HL5, my.. what a beauty they are.. How low do they go?
The biggest thing I like about the RELs are that they do not step on the beautiful Harbeth midrange and they are very easy to integrate well. The "quantity" is there but the quality and speed are better than other subs I have owned. Down to 20Hz in my room response measurements too.
The Carys are made in Cary, North Carolina FYI. I trust them for tube preamplification and amplification but their digital products are often buggy. People really like the Gold Note products, you did well IMHO.
The Harbeths do pretty well in the bass department- measurements linked below. Super transparent and warm / forgiving at the same time.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
McIntosh equipment has always had the look, to me, of equipment that costs way too much for what one gets.
Depends on how you look at it. I bought an MC2300 used and enjoyed it for 20 years and sold it for more than I paid. Their products are like Lexus cars to me -- a little more expensive up front, but reliable and with great resale value.

OP
R

rman9

I am hoping I will like and enjoy the Gold Note.. Again, thanks for the reassurance... I tested the C53 with the A21+.. The performance is comparable.. The thing that I noticed is, at louder audio levels, I hear the sssssshhhh... on quiet passages of the music with the Parasound that I kept having to turn down the last band of equalization on the C53 to avoid the hssing, but with the Mcintosh, I don't hear it, unless I go stick my ear next to the tweeters. The loud passages are loud and goes absolutely quiet in the quiet passages with the 62, it's stunning.. Its just more dynamics from low to high. The harbeth's look like an intermediate between book shelf and floorstanding.. Interesting form factor..

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Nice! So the 8 ohm number the way Amir measures it is a little over 400 WPC at the elbow (516 WPC clipping) into 8 ohms and 0.0007% THD+N. However, @amirm reports SINAD at 5 WPC so the McIntosh would measure at .0008% (-102dB), which puts it among the top 4 power amplifiers ranked on ASR. Interesting that between 30 and 200 WPC into 8 ohms SINAD is at or below -106 dB.

McIntosh rate their amplifiers properly and in accordance with US regulations, unlike a huge number of other companies. They are known for conservative numbers.

The THD they specify is an absolute worst case number at any frequency between 20Hz and 20kHz and any power from 250mW to rated output into the specified load.

Basically, the gold standard in power output claims.

avanti1960

I am hoping I will like and enjoy the Gold Note.. Again, thanks for the reassurance... I tested the C53 with the A21+.. The performance is comparable.. The thing that I noticed is, at louder audio levels, I hear the sssssshhhh... on quiet passages of the music with the Parasound that I kept having to turn down the last band of equalization on the C53 to avoid the hssing, but with the Mcintosh, I don't hear it, unless I go stick my ear next to the tweeters. The loud passages are loud and goes absolutely quiet in the quiet passages with the 62, it's stunning.. Its just more dynamics from low to high. The harbeth's look like an intermediate between book shelf and floorstanding.. Interesting form factor..
thank you for checking!
the Harbeths are derived from the British Broadcasting Corporation history of making monitors for radio studios. Basically a government funded project to create speakers that sounded life like, especially voices but also live studio performances. Get the voices right and musical tone will follow, and they do an excellent job of that.
The smaller BBC LS3/5A "project" is a legendary sounding small monitor that has been made / is still made by several speaker manufacturers.
In the best of these voices and instruments can sound eerily real and life like.
Have they cashed in on their history ? Unfortunately yes but while they demand an investment, they do hold their value- like McIntosh !

OP
R

rman9

thank you for checking!
the Harbeths are derived from the British Broadcasting Corporation history of making monitors for radio studios. Basically a government funded project to create speakers that sounded life like, especially voices but also live studio performances. Get the voices right and musical tone will follow, and they do an excellent job of that.
The smaller BBC LS3/5A "project" is a legendary sounding small monitor that has been made / is still made by several speaker manufacturers.
In the best of these voices and instruments can sound eerily real and life like.
Have they cashed in on their history ? Unfortunately yes but while they demand an investment, they do hold their value- like McIntosh !
Thanks for the history on the Harbeth. I started to do some research on them and I hear about their connection to BBC.. I checked again, the C53/A21+.... It was disconcerting, how could I hear a ssshhhh noise so discerning, it left me with a unsettled feeling after having bought the A21+ and the A51, just in the last eight months.. Much to my glee this morning, Its not the parasound.. It's the power supply extension.. When I switched it to the same line as the MC462.. that went away.. The A21+ sounds as beautiful as the 62. The Mcintosh is a tad better at even low volumes, and just the presence is real hard to miss.. I think.. It could be in my head..
The Parasound A51, does such a good job with the movies.. and the A21+ drives the front left and right. I have it all paired with the Marantz AV7705.. Brings movies to life..
The thing with the Gold Note, I hope I am smart enough to figure it all out.. I have never streamed and not quite savvy with DSD512, HiRes etc..
Will let you know how it goes when I get it..

OP
R

rman9

McIntosh rate their amplifiers properly and in accordance with US regulations, unlike a huge number of other companies. They are known for conservative numbers.

The THD they specify is an absolute worst case number at any frequency between 20Hz and 20kHz and any power from 250mW to rated output into the specified load.

Totally agree on how they are known for their conservative numbers. Their performance being better than specs..

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

and they used to prove it to you in their mobil clinics (which also essentially dare others to bring in their amps for comparison)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I absolutely love the look of McIntosh gear. I’ve wanted a MAC7200 for a few years now, but I can’t justify it on performance. My Bryston stack with a NAD tuner is on par performance wise, but is not nearly as captivating to the eye. I’d be hard pressed to spend $7500 for a lateral move sonically just for the beauty. Also, at 93 lbs, it’s a hoss of an amp. No Class D here!

quattr0

It's funny, just yesterday I was looking into streamers and came across the handsomely built caryaudio DMS 550 and 600.. Then this morning ended up ordering the Gold Note DS-10, Italian streamer.. Where is caryaudio made, is it in boulder?

Have the Gold Note arrived? How do you like it? Is this for first streamer/DAC combo?

Thanks.

OP
R

rman9

Have the Gold Note arrived? How do you like it? Is this for first streamer/DAC combo?

Thanks.
Yeah, the Gold Note DS 10 arrived beginning of the month. I hadn't checked it until the last few days (family emergency that has left me feeling empty about life in general). It's a fine equipment. I'll write a more detailed review of it. All I have is, plenty of good things to say about it. The ease of use, the build quality, the audio quality of the DAC is all exceptional. Right now I am using it for streaming Spotify and Deezer, and the quality is just beautiful. I use to bluetooth the ipad to the Marantz AV7705/Parasound A21 and listen to Spotify and it was basically lifeless. With the Gold Note, it is fantastic. It opened up the spectrum and you can tell it is truly a good high end system paired with the C53 and MC462.. It cost $3K, and I am beyond happy with it. I am still debating on Tidal versus Qobuz.

Last edited:

gags11

Forum Donor
McIntosh is one of the few so-called hi-end look good and perform good gear out there, at least their Amps. Their amp specs are still based on good-old standards Restorer John loves. Hell, McIntosh amps have better measurements than Accuphase and Hypex, look great, and hold value forever

Top Bottom