• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mate digital main speakers (Genelec 8341a) with analog subwoofer (KEF KC62)?

OP
S
Now that it's set up, I set the headphone jack to be the default output device on the Mac, then use the Mac volume control.

Initially to adjust the balance between the subwoofer and the main I used the subwoofer volume control and the GLM volume control while running sweeps from Room EQ Wizard. I don't think the phase is quite right yet.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This problem is a real headache. However some aspects might be overthinking it. The 7350 is not a big sub. It is an expensive sub. 8” cannot be considered a big sub. Given its SPL capability it is undersized for a 8341 and probably just right for an 8331. Just looked at the 8331 specs and the 7350 is 4 dB below it.

I watched a YouTube guy calibrate his 8341 with 7360. He said that if you integrate a 7530 then it will lower the SPL capability of the 8341 to match the sub capability. So now I need to buy a $2.5k sub instead of the $1.3k one. I’m not letting the sub limit my speakers even though I won’t ever need beyond 90dB. Then again money doesn’t grow on trees and I if I want to do quad sub I literally cannot afford 4 7360s.

Beyond that GLM doesn’t do multi sub. The whole thing is based on a stereo sub paradigm. Even the new W371 is based on that paradigm.

I could only afford 4 7350s. I suppose I’ll have to limit my mains then.

The other headache is lack of options to integrate 3rd party subs. I’m looking for one because of GLM being stereo sub based.

I don’t know what to do. Maybe just one 7650 would work but the science says there are better ways to handle this.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do others in your room care? Do you get to sit in the sweet spot?

I've been satisfied with a single 7271 (dual 12") calibrated with GLM. It is right behind were I sit and is flat 50hz and under where I cross it over.

People off to the sides don't care if the bass is a little uneven.

OP
S
Update on my rig: I stopped using the iMac Pro's headphone out and started using a Topping EX5. It sends an analog signal to the Genelec 8341s through the balanced XLR cables and an analog signal to the KEF KC62 through the RCA jacks. The subwoofer crossover knob is turned all the way down to minimize interference with the mains.

It's not perfect, but I think improving the room acoustics would be the next step. It sounds good enough for me right now. I don't have time to be a full-time audiophile with all the other demands on my attention.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What Youtube guy said the 7350a lowered the SPL of the Genelec 8341? I used 2, 7350a with 8351b and I never noticed any volume impairment they would go really loud but I never tried to max the volume. I calibrated them with GLM and the 8351b's would store the settings as the 7350's don't have that capability. I have since traded the 7350's for 7360's.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do others in your room care? Do you get to sit in the sweet spot?

I've been satisfied with a single 7271 (dual 12") calibrated with GLM. It is right behind were I sit and is flat 50hz and under where I cross it over.

People off to the sides don't care if the bass is a little uneven.

Were you able to get a reasonably flat response in your listening position? I actually don’t care about multiple positions TBH. However, my room is definitely compromised. Typical open plan layout with about 300 sq ft for the living area but open to the kitchen which is another 400 sq ft. One side will have a wall about 6 feet from the monitor. The other would be open for 18 feet.

Also I much prefer the idea of buying a Genelec sub and using GLM. My hope is that I can could buy one 7350 and let GLM calibrate it. Buy another one later and see what it does with stereo subs. Then when they get around to thinking about bass like we are in the 2020s buy 2 more.

In theory 4 7350s would allow for output up to 110dB but while cancelling room modes it would be quite a bit lower.

I would really like Genelec to offer a rough timeline on when they will implement multi sub.

The other wild card is the possible introduction of a W361 or W351.

Also I wonder what happens if you don’t high pass the mains. They will get to about 45Hz. Use those positions plus 2 subs in different positions all running at the same time to attack room modes down to 45Hz with lesser management capability below that frequency.

The W371 gives you options. Where are the options for the mere mortals who can’t drop $18k on a dime? So this is where I feel like I could do better with another system. Then again I don’t want headaches. Going 3rd party is most likely going to amount to buying a headache.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What Youtube guy said the 7350a lowered the SPL of the Genelec 8341? I used 2, 7350a with 8351b and I never noticed any volume impairment they would go really loud but I never tried to max the volume. I calibrated them with GLM and the 8351b's would store the settings as the 7350's don't have that capability. I have since traded the 7350's for 7360's.

I mean yes we don’t listen at 110dB so it probably won’t really matter. The sub is rated for 104dB. The mains at 110dB. So it applies -6dB apparently to the 8341s. Does that mean we lose some headroom? Maybe. Would I ever find the limit using these responsibly? Probably not.

What are your thoughts on the upgrade? I think I feel much more comfortable ordering one or two 7350s now. I can’t afford 4 7360s but I could afford 4 7350s.

Btw this is the guy Adrian Milea. He bought one 7360 with that reasoning.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 7360's in my room sound better than the 7350's , the bass isn't as boomy. I had both the 7350's and now the 7360's positioned directly under the 8351b's using Sound Anchor ADJ2 Pro stands. I calibrated with GLM , the left Sub has a null at 60hz but the right sub doesn't. GLM adjusts the phase..

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 7360's in my room sound better than the 7350's , the bass isn't as boomy. I had both the 7350's and now the 7360's positioned directly under the 8351b's using Sound Anchor ADJ2 Pro stands. I calibrated with GLM , the left Sub has a null at 60hz but the right sub doesn't. GLM adjusts the phase..

Since you have 2 subs I believe you can phase align each to its own monitor. Or are you aligning both to the right monitor? Also would there be an advantage it moving the left sub to another position in that case? It seems like in a sense you have a multi sub alignment but to the right channel only. Is that correct or am I wrong?

Also less boomy sounds like a good thing. I bet the 7350 has its port tuned pretty high. An 8” driver can only do so much and it isn’t like they are feeding it with a lot of power either. The trade off between LF extension, efficiency and size I guess has to give somewhere. It’s small, it extends pretty far so it can’t be very efficient and it’s given only 150w.

It’s tempting to leave the GLM system to enjoy something like 4 Rhythmik F12s. Bigger driver and more power.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
seems like in a sense you have a multi sub alignment but to the right channel only. Is that correct or am I wrong?

Each sub is calibrated with the matching 8351b. I figured since the one null was about 60hz it's low enough that it's not noticeable which to me it isn't.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Update on my rig: I stopped using the iMac Pro's headphone out and started using a Topping EX5. It sends an analog signal to the Genelec 8341s through the balanced XLR cables and an analog signal to the KEF KC62 through the RCA jacks. The subwoofer crossover knob is turned all the way down to minimize interference with the mains.

It's not perfect, but I think improving the room acoustics would be the next step. It sounds good enough for me right now. I don't have time to be a full-time audiophile with all the other demands on my attention.
A better sound can be had by driving your 8341 with a digital signal. A bass-guitar plays frequencies from about 40 -8000 Hz at the same time, so bettering the input signal for the main speakers gonna result in a better sound overall.
Doing so, you get better clarity, and the perceived sound will be more distinct and sounding tighter in the bass, even if you drive your subwoofer with an analog signal.

lappy

Where did you get the impression that the 7350 don't store settings? It is clearly stated in the manual that the GLM settings can be saved to the 7350.

Top Bottom