• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qualcomm announces "aptX Lossless" bluetooth codec

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
This is what will be a major advancement in Bluetooth. It has been a long time coming. Transmitting audio signals is becoming a commodity that is easily understood and inexpensive to do. Of course, there will be many pundits who claim they can hear a difference between this new Bluetooth and other lossless audio. But, then people lie about everything. This is a huge announcement.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's capped at 1 Mbps, it can't be truly lossless for 44.1 kHz, 16-bit data. It might be lossless for most music, but if there's a burst of (nearly) incompressible data (e.g. white noise) it will have to fall back to some kind of lossy coding.
Not only that, there is also this caveat from the article:
"Designed to work seamlessly together, these technologies deliver rates beyond 1Mbit/s yet smoothly scale down to 140kbits/s in congested RF environments to minimize any audio dropouts or glitches for a consistent and reliable listening experience," the company says.

buz

Forum Donor
Not technically true, WAV can be losslessly compressed to 40-50%, so if they can compress and decompress in real time 1Mb would be plenty for true lossless. That's essentially what FLAC is.
On average, yes. for bad and worst case scenario 1mbit won't be enough.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not technically true, WAV can be losslessly compressed to 40-50%, so if they can compress and decompress in real time 1Mb would be plenty for true lossless. That's essentially what FLAC is.

@mansr is exactly correct. Some music may compress that well. There is plenty that doesn't.

As I just said...

About 29% of my 16/44 FLACs are already >1Mbit/s...

I pulled out my worst case track and even 7zip with LZMAv1, single thread, ultra compression level can only get it to 85% while dB PowerAmp's FLAC level 8 is only 93% and there's no way realtime compression is going to be better than that.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sure, but it still is variable. Whatever I do with Developer Options in my Pixel 5, I cannot manage to get fixed 990Kbps locked. Sounds great when sent to my Matrix i3 Pro, tho.
A small LDAC Sony Bluetooth speaker is now my default travel sound source.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the risk of being the odd one out I will say I have no issues with BT wireless as is. I am not going to claim it is completely transparent, but I think that for normal music listening as opposed to listening with the aim of trying to discern differences the existing codecs are fine. It's a bit like the MP3 argument, some audiophiles love to hate MP3 and BT, yet how many could really identify them from lossless in a double blind test, and among those who can in most cases the effort required indicates it makes no difference in reality if the aim is to just enjoy music.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@mansr is exactly correct. Some music may compress that well. There is plenty that doesn't.

As I just said...

I pulled out my worst case track and even 7zip with LZMAv1, single thread, ultra compression level can only get it to 85% while dB PowerAmp's FLAC level 8 is only 93% and there's no way realtime compression is going to be better than that.
Generally nearly all music I've ever put into FLAC was down near 50% or not far from it. Am I understanding you correctly that PowerAmp's FLAC level 8 is still 93% of its original size?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally nearly all music I've ever put into FLAC was down near 50% or not far from it.

That really depends on the genre and the mastering. As a general rule of thumb, the higher the dynamic range, the better something compresses.

You library is probably full of classical and jazz. Mine is full of metal which is more often around 60-70%. My personal "killer samples" are japanoise inspired lolicore. (How many sub genres down are we?)

Am I understanding you correctly that PowerAmp's FLAC level 8 is still 93% of its original size?

Yes. It's full of incompressable uncorrelated noise. Looks like their Bandcamp site is abandoned but here's a YT link.

I'm sure you'll barely even consider this music. :p

I was excited about this until I saw that it's still adaptive.

Call me cynical, but my general lack of faith in Bluetooth leads me to think any given AptX Lossless use will spend to little time at actual lossless to be better than LDAC.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps they'll publish a list of supported tracks! Merzbow fans need not apply!

Perhaps they are the ideal target audience... If the artistic intent is distorted noise, then distorted noise will come through.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
It has to be. The alternative is to suffer drop-outs whenever the Bluetooth bandwidth drops too low, which it will do at least occasionally.
There is nothing wrong with this. Any normal listener (except for our ASR esteemed listeners) want their Bluetooth to be backwards compatible as the signal becomes worse. What everyone wants is no drop outs period. So, Bluetooth has come a long way. It is not perfect, but it has come a long way and is till improving. It has gotten pretty good with the latest versions. Amir tested them and they have issues but most things do. In ten years Bluetooth may be Bluetooth 7 with serious music listening ability! I use it now all the time and it is fine. OK, I do have to confess I use it for movies with my Mobius headphones so extreme quality music listening is not there. You all know I'm a dinosaur speaker guy not a new fangled headphone guy........ Man, I'm getting old:eek:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
What about BT 5.0? Using it in room, no long distance, to transfer audio, can it be lossless?

I really don't know much about BT, that's why I'm asking. I like my old stereo 2ch, but would like to ad the BT feature for younger residents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom