• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Planar magnetic alternative/upgrade from HD6XX

RHO

Major Contributor
I'm quite enjoying my DCA Aeon RT closed. I had to get used to it the first few weeks, but it grew on me more than I expected. I'm very happy with the purchase. I think it's a great upgrade from the K371, which is not a bad HP at all.
I also like my HD6XX. So now I was wondering what a good alternative to that headphone is. Or a good next step up.
I would have a nice closed back planar and a dynamic drive headphone and the same for my open backs if I find a good counterpart for the HD6XX.
What I like about the HD6XX: tonal balance, very nice mids and upper bass, comfort, aesthetics
What I like less about the HD6XX: sub-bass extension, narrow staging
It has to be objectively good: a fairly good matching the the Harman target is desirable. Low distortion is ... a must.
I do not always EQ, so it has to be good without EQ.
It can be power-hungry. I have more than 1W available (@50Ohm), which I never needed even with the Aeon RT's connected.
Budget ... difficult one... Let's not go over €700.
Has to be available in the EU. (import tax, customs fees, ... will add too much to the budget otherwise)

The only one I can find for now is the Hifiman Sundara, which had the same "issue" with roll-off in the sub-bass.
Any other suggestions?
Would you think there's much better options if I would extend my budget by ???? (50% ???)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'll just say that headphones are a very personal thing and different people have different preferences. And after you reach a certain sound quality it's hard to make an "improvement" and you might just be getting bored and looking for a change.

What I like less about the HD6XX: sub-bass extension, narrow staging
The soundstage illusion seems to be related to frequency response/EQ so you might end-up with a trade-off.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I'll just say that headphones are a very personal thing and different people have different preferences. And after you reach a certain sound quality it's hard to make an "improvement" and you might just be getting bored and looking for a change.

The soundstage illusion seems to be related to frequency response/EQ so you might end-up with a trade-off.
I'm not really bored with my HD6XX. Actually wearing them now. :)
I know it's difficult to upgrade once the sound quality is above a certain grade. But like I said, a bit more sub-bass would be nice. And better staging without EQ would be very nice too.
The staging on the HD6XX actually gets worse when I EQ them. :( (Using Amirs EQ settings)

weasels

I use the 650 EQ settings from oratory - more suited to my personal tastes than Amir's 6XX. As said above, it is subjective but you could give that a try.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I use the 650 EQ settings from oratory - more suited to my personal tastes than Amir's 6XX. As said above, it is subjective but you could give that a try.
I've already done that. That's why I use Amir's EQ settings. ;)

jae

Major Contributor
I would have expected the logical upgrade for 6XX to be the Aeon RT Open. Maybe Aeon 2 open, but I don't think that's going to be enough of an upgrade from RT Closed to justify it. Latest revision of the Sundara could be an option as well as you mentioned. Also look into headphones with the 50mm peerless driver.

aandres_gm

An open box Ananda from Hifiman's Polish warehouse? I found it a lot more comfortable than Sundara, with slightly better soundstage. Iirc I paid around 500€ for mine, came in mint condition.

ninja edit: I'm after some Aeon RT Closed, as my gf hates it when I listen to music on my Ananda lol

fragzone

An upgrade implies improved SQ whilst retaining key characteristics of current headphone. In that sense, I can't offer the Sundara because it simply does not have the shear quality, density and presence of the 6xx of the midrange. This is why you often see the Sundara being expressed as a compliment to the 6xx because it is good at most things the 6xx isn't (outside of rolled off bass, but that is adjustable with EQ)

Just thought I'd throw that out there because I thought the Sundara would make my 6xx redundant but it only made me love them more.

MorningDew

I wholeheartedly agree with the above post. 6xx as you know is praised for being lush and soulful whereas I reach for the sundara when looking for articulate clarity. The greater detail and increased soundstage is immediately apparent with the latter. The sundara does not smooth things over like I find with the 6xx. Instead it gives a sense of transparency. So, like the above member pointed out I wouldn’t consider the sundara an upgrade as much as a different flavor...I enjoy them both.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Seems like a Sundara could be a good option.
Subjective reports point more to the Ananda, but objective data shows the Sundara to be the better one.
I know that with headphones the objective data does not tell the whole story, although I'm ver sceptical about many subjective terms that are being used. I think quite a few of them are just placebo/nocebo.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I am a bit partial to HiFiMan. I own two. I would however suggest the OP to give a Dan Clark a serious listen.
Speaking for myself, a Dan Clark Headphones should be in the future.. Endgame model? .. Nahh or is it not nahh ? :)... Nahh

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Hi

I am a bit partial to HiFiMan. I own two. I would however suggest the OP to give a Dan Clark a serious listen.
Speaking for myself, a Dan Clark Headphones should be in the future.. Endgame model? .. Nahh or is it not nahh ? :)... Nahh
I already have a closed one (Aeon RT). But from what I read the open models are much less impressive. At least the ones in the Aeon line.
And still if I would up the budget to 1000euro there much more options than just DCA.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I looking into buying a Hifiman HE-6se V2 (OB).
Anyone have issues with the clamping force on these? I mean, it being too low.
I like the clamp on an HD6XX, DCA Aeon RT … I have to set all my headphones to the smallest size or nearly the smallest. Seems I have a narrow head. A Beyerdynamic DT770 with Dekoni pads does not have sufficient clamping to give me a comfortable feeling. It sits too loose and shifts around all the time.
So if the clamping force on the HE-6se V2 is quite low the thing could very well flop around on my head. Not what I want!
This reviewer has the same issue:
I'm afraid I could run into the same problem.
Anyone else experienced this?

coomean

The clamping force on these are indeed on the low side. It may or may not be TOO low for you.

My head is not narrow, and I do not have the same problem you might encounter of them being loose and shifting around my head.

But because of the light clamping from the side, these end up creating a hot spot on the headband, that presses uncomfortably on the top of my head.

Reactions: RHO
OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
The clamping force on these are indeed on the low side. It may or may not be TOO low for you.

My head is not narrow, and I do not have the same problem you might encounter of them being loose and shifting around my head.

But because of the light clamping from the side, these end up creating a hot spot on the headband, that presses uncomfortably on the top of my head.
Thanks. I have to consider that when making a decision.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the clamp on an HD6XX, DCA Aeon RT … I have to set all my headphones to the smallest size or nearly the smallest. Seems I have a narrow head. A Beyerdynamic DT770 with Dekoni pads does not have sufficient clamping to give me a comfortable feeling. It sits too loose and shifts around all the time.
So if the clamping force on the HE-6se V2 is quite low the thing could very well flop around on my head. Not what I want!
This reviewer has the same issue:
Perfect for me but I don't have a narrow head nor like heavy clamp. I would guess the band is no more than padded steel band so could be bent in a bit with some gentle force applied.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Perfect for me but I don't have a narrow head nor like heavy clamp. I would guess the band is no more than padded steel band so could be bent in a bit with some gentle force applied.
That could be an option. There are alternative headbands available.
I don't know if the one for the Sundara fits the cups. The old model for the HE-6 is also sold separately.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if the one for the Sundara fits the cups. The old model for the HE-6 is also sold separately.
The band seems an odd one as I'm not even sure the one on the 6se v1 fits it! I tried one from the old he560 but that doesn't work easily

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh- and I had a haircut this weekend which usually means HP that fit just right with the mop get loose- but the 6SE V2 actually stay put- so the clamp is firmer than I thought. I reckon on the off chance they are too loose out of the box you could bend them to stay without doing the full bullworker!
1630249756744.png

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
Oh- and I had a haircut this weekend which usually means HP that fit just right with the mop get loose- but the 6SE V2 actually stay put- so the clamp is firmer than I thought. I reckon on the off chance they are too loose out of the box you could bend them to stay without doing the full bullworker! View attachment 150244
Do you have the DCA Aeon RT also per chance?
If so, how do these compare clamp-force-wise?
If they are comparable, I can live with them.

Top Bottom