• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New multibit DAC coming from Schiit -

raif71

Major Contributor
I say go for it. We need more variety in DACs. Who would want only DS DACs in the market. :)

Veri

Master Contributor
I say go for it. We need more variety in DACs. Who would want only DS DACs in the market. :)
I'd personally be just fine with that haha. All my work laptops had very decent cirrus logic audio chips and okay output levels. If you want more audiophile branding there's burr brown, ESS/AKM etc producing great stuff. All that multibit stuff is really just trying too hard to be different just to be different and justify an (often significant) price increase.

beeface

I’d be happy with that. all I want is for a DAC to perform its function properly. I don’t care about gimmicky implementations

raif71

Major Contributor
I'd personally be just fine with that haha. All my work laptops had very decent cirrus logic audio chips and okay output levels. If you want more audiophile branding there's burr brown, ESS/AKM etc producing great stuff. All that multibit stuff is really just trying too hard to be different just to be different and justify an (often significant) price increase.
Let the market decide...if there are too expensive and perform poor then by science of economics they will cease to exist.

Leporello

Let the market decide...if there are too expensive and perform poor then by science of economics they will cease to exist.
Not necessarily. Price will have an effect on perceived quality, which is not the same as actual quality.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Double blind testing is obviously a good thing. Though I'm dubious it will be conducted in a statistically defensible manner.
Depends on the level of reliability you are looking for. For an academic article or a medical trial I would certainly agree.

It's weird that they even bother. When Sony is preparing to launch a new PlayStation do they get in gamers to see if it "seems faster"?
Uh, no. Never does a major manufacturer pay groups of people to try new products for a pre-launch reaction.

What audible problem in digital conversion is this thing supposed to solve better than what we currently have?
None. Just like the new restaurant down the street does not solve any problem in the human diet. It's about making that dollar.

Jason mentioned 120dB S/N ratio, not SINAD. A device can have 120dB S/N yet have a SINAD of 80dB or so. ;)
My bad. I'm learning this stuff.

Last edited:
OP
D

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
The only current 20bit multibit TI chip I see is DAC11001A, spec'd at - 105dB THD, 120 dB SINAD mentioned in the video sounds a bit far fetched, I guess we need to wait and see.
This struck me too. Jason and Mike have said the ESS chips were the only up to date, modern? dacs and the others are out of date, they said this when they announced the replacement of the AKM chips in their STILL $99 Modi 3.

A thought that if you look at Schiit's long term actions, moving so their main product line is out of highly regulated earthquake territory with a limited electricity supply, and reaching out to a fourth manufacturer so now they have choices for their MB and DS dacs, it's smart.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I think Schiit's (Mike's) vibe is half enthusiast audiophile and half practical commodity. I mean, he deliberately made it difficult for himself in designing discrete output stages, none of which quite made state of the art, but gave him fun and headaches as a designer. When he caved in and did it the boring me-too (to him) chip output configuration and so on, performance jumped, 'we here' started praising the brand, so enlarging the market for sensible priced (but low margin I suspect) but superbly performing commodity dacs, while still appealing to the ' more wealthy hobbyist' who hears differences in *everything* and loves something non-standard - and who gives a schiit if the bench performance isn't so good...

I'm reminded of a phone conversation a colleague and friend of mine had with 'guru' Martin Colloms, the speaker designer and high end reviewer. He told said pal back in the late 80's that 'sound' off a Rega Planar 2 was better than any CD player... That was the beginning of the end for me as regards magazine reviews. Ten years later I heard more stuff which totally shut the door for me...

AudioAaron

Jason is a God at marketing. There is no other explanation for buying their products given the competition. Cest la vive.

threni

Major Contributor
There is no other explanation for buying their products given the competition.

You think Amir made a mess of the Asgard 3 measurements? You don't like the colours? Overpriced?

gvl

Major Contributor
Based on above, it seems he misspoke: "These new DACs really push the limits of measured multibit performance. "

So he means with respect to multibit DACs which is a low bar.

Not sure, the video and this makes me think he actually means all DACs, not just multibit. They are using 2 DACs per channel so it's possible they came up with a clever design that reduces the effects of glitching so they can get better THD numbers than one chip.

Lupin

Schiit MB DACs sell and those people don't care about measurements, wouldn't surprise me if the majority never even heard of ASR.

These new DACs are going to do just as fine as their targeted demographic doesn't care (much) for measurements.

Svperstar

My Modi Multibit is gathering dust right now. It sounds way too dark for me. Really ruins the 3D aspect of music and games. Kinda smears everything together.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Jason is a God at marketing. There is no other explanation for buying their products given the competition. Cest la vive.

You sure about that? All their products?

Svperstar

Top Bottom