• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which has more power: Schiit Jotunheim 2 or Topping A90?

MrEWhite

I'm looking at ordering a Schiit Bifrost 2, and I wanted a nice headphone amp to go with it. I'm currently choosing between a Schiit Jotunheim 2 and the Topping A90 to power a pair of Hifiman HE6se headphones, so I need something with lots of power. Out of these two amps, which would deliver a better sound or deliver more power for these headphones?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hifiman HE6se @ 50 Ohm load. (Hifiman HE6se measured at 64 Ohms by ASR.)
index.php

index.php

staticV3

Master Contributor
according to measurements from ASR and SoundStageNetwork, the A90 will be able to drive the HE6se to about 116dB SPL, so plenty loud enough.

staticV3

Master Contributor
actually, both the Schiit and Topping have basically the same output power. It's just that Amir didn't place the cursor very well in his review of the Jotunheim 2.
Both of them have between 4.8 and 5W @50Ω.
However, the Topping has less noise and plays cleaner all the way to its clipping point, as you can see here:
THD+N vs. Output Power @ 50Ω (High gain) (1).png

OP
MrEWhite

MrEWhite

actually, both the Schiit and Topping have basically the same output power. It's just that Amir didn't place the cursor very well in his review of the Jotunheim 2.
However, the Topping has less noise and plays cleaner all the way to its clipping point, as you can see here:
View attachment 145851
Alright, I'll get the Topping then, thanks!

OP
MrEWhite

MrEWhite

I don't think you need to wait forever for an A90 like you do with the Jot 2.
I actually decided on the Schiit (because I changed to much less power hungry headphones), ordered both the Bifrost 2 & Jot 2 in the same order, and it got here in about 5 days. Pretty quick in my opinion :)

rjley

I actually decided on the Schiit (because I changed to much less power hungry headphones), ordered both the Bifrost 2 & Jot 2 in the same order, and it got here in about 5 days. Pretty quick in my opinion :)
Awesome, you're one of the lucky ones. I ordered a Lyr 3 at the beginning of Aug and also got it a week later.

cashmonee

Which Jot 2 did you order? New? B-stock?

I am considering one but do not want to wait the listed 6-8 weeks for one.

cashmonee

Sorry to keep bothering. May I ask what configuration you got? Silver or black? Module?

I am wanting a black with no module. If yours came that fast, I may take a chance and order one. The horror stories of their wait times (some are reporting waiting 4-5 months) have made me hesitant to place an order.

OP
MrEWhite

MrEWhite

Sorry to keep bothering. May I ask what configuration you got? Silver or black? Module?

I am wanting a black with no module. If yours came that fast, I may take a chance and order one. The horror stories of their wait times (some are reporting waiting 4-5 months) have made me hesitant to place an order.
Silver & no module. I have a Loki DSD I needed to have matched.

Jamesj562

View attachment 145851
But Amir feeding the both the same 4V input to generate the power listed for both or is the input voltage/dac different for both?

Top Bottom