• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LS50 meta's plus sub vs More expensive speakers

OP
E

Eternals

There isn't really any such thing as a sub being 'too big' in performance terms, just physically and financially. An SB1000 isn't a big sub anyway :).

Were you thinking of buying a miniDSP 2x4 HD now, or considering it for the future? If you're not going to buy one now then the (limited) EQ capability of the SB1000 Pro will be beneficial, but if you will have a miniDSP then it would be essentially pointless and you may want to consider alternative subs where part of your money isn't going to pay for this. If you mentioned where you live then possbily someone here familiar with the local market may be able to make a suggestion or two. If you're buying new then a demo or sale-or-return option may be a good place to start as well.
@Ultrasonic and @abdo123 Funds dictate that there can't be a minDSP before Summer 2022 earliest, maybe longer with additional kit like a preamp / new amp. My choice of sub isn't fixed, all I've done is look at the Audioholics site. Not even worked through this forum yet. I'm in NW England, outside of Manchester so if anyone is more local, it might be a useful to understand local flavors.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ultrasonic and @abdo123 Funds dictate that there can't be a minDSP before Summer 2022 earliest, maybe longer with additional kit like a preamp / new amp. My choice of sub isn't fixed, all I've done is look at the Audioholics site. Not even worked through this forum yet. I'm in NW England, outside of Manchester so if anyone is more local, it might be a useful to understand local flavors.

what you must focus on is filtering out the low frequency information so it doesn't get played by the LS50 and gets played only via your subwoofer.

these sort of filters are called High-pass filter, the 1000 Pro series does not have them, but the 2000 Pro series do.

The Hegel also does not offer such filtering either.

I would really take a couple of days just to make a road map otherwise you might regret certain purchases.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
these sort of filters are called High-pass filter, the 1000 Pro series does not have them, but the 2000 Pro series do

I wish this were true but sadly I don't believe any current SVS subs have high-passed filtered outputs for main speakers. I think this was discussed in another thread here recently actually.

Ultrasonic

I'm in NW England, outside of Manchester so if anyone is more local, it might be a useful to understand local flavors.

So they're on your radar, BK Electronics are highly regarded in the UK for good value for money subwoofers but none have any built in EQ, and in the absense of a miniDSP this could prove useful. Although if you were prepared to consider a used subwoofer then you could get a sub and a 2x4 HD for the cost of a new SB1000 Pro. In the UK the AVForums classifieds is a good place to keep an eye on if you are considering buying used.

If you do want to buy new then an SB1000 Pro is not a bad call at all and should be something you could get to demo I'd have thought. This would be without high-pass filtering your main speakers though, which I don't know a more cost-effective way to do than a miniDSP.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish this were true but sadly I don't believe any current SVS subs have high-passed filtered outputs for main speakers. I think this was discussed in another thread here recently actually.

Are you sure? I must have been bamboozled by the line level outputs :oops:.

2000pro_amp_detail.jpg

Ultrasonic

Are you sure? I must have been bamboozled by the line level outputs :oops:.

I believe that's just a signal pass-through, not an output that can have a high-pass filter applied. This is the thread I was thinking of where this was discussed:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ondering-about-a-subwoofer.25717/#post-877865

There are virtually no non-pro audio subwoofers with high-pass filtered outputs made today sadly. The Kef models that Mr Darko covered in the video above are the one exception I can think of quickly but they are fairly expensive.

KMO

I know a lot of people love the MiniDSP here, and I understand why, but with this particular Hegel amp/streamer, the complexity of integration should not be underestimated, and I feel people have kind of glossed over that.

Correct me if any of this is wrong, but...

To perform a bass crossover function, it would have to be installed in-between a source device and the Hegel amplifier - so it could not be used with any of the Hegel's built-in streaming stuff.

And you would not be able to effectively use the volume control on the amplifier - that would be affecting only the volume of the main speakers. When the MiniDSP is in use, the amp's volume would need to be set to a known position, and volume controlled using the MiniDSP, so varying both main + subwoofer. So that means a separate remote for volume, or sorting out a programmable remote.

The only "seamless" crossover integration possible would be if a separate power amp were added, leaving the Hegel to function as a pre-amp, so the MiniDSP could be placed between the Hegel and the power amp.

(And the integration problems would be even worse if you tried to use a subwoofer's built-in HPF. I ruled that out as impossible above, but it could vaguely work along the same Heath Robinson lines, with an external source that could control volume).

I personally wouldn't attempt any of this, except with a separate power amp. I haven't got the patience to mess around during use of a device.

So I would suggest the OP concentrate on what he can achieve without a MiniDSP, and forget crossover for now. A sub with some limited EQ capability would be worthwhile.

Ultrasonic

I know a lot of people love the MiniDSP here, and I understand why, but with this particular Hegel amp/streamer, the complexity of integration should not be underestimated, and I feel people have kind of glossed over that.

Correct me if any of this is wrong, but...

To perform a bass crossover function, it would have to be installed in-between a source device and the Hegel amplifier - so it could not be used with any of the Hegel's built-in streaming stuff.

And you would not be able to effectively use the volume control on the amplifier - that would be affecting only the volume of the main speakers. When the MiniDSP is in use, the amp's volume would need to be set to a known position, and volume controlled using the MiniDSP, so varying both main + subwoofer. So that means a separate remote for volume, or sorting out a programmable remote.

The only "seamless" crossover integration possible would be if a separate power amp were added, leaving the Hegel to function as a pre-amp, so the MiniDSP could be placed between the Hegel and the power amp.

(And the integration problems would be even worse if you tried to use a subwoofer's built-in HPF. I ruled that out as impossible above, but it could vaguely work along the same Heath Robinson lines, with an external source that could control volume).

I personally wouldn't attempt any of this, except with a separate power amp. I haven't got the patience to mess around during use of a device.

So I would suggest the OP concentrate on what he can achieve without a MiniDSP, and forget crossover for now. A sub with some limited EQ capability would be worthwhile.

All good points. You are correct that the ideal miniDSP 2x4 HD setup has it take control of the volume adjustment (what I've done), or for there to be a pre-amp upstream. If the streamer in the amp is to be used this would indeed be useless.

A sub like the SB1000 Pro with (limited) on board EQ is looking like a wiser move in this context to me.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

An Arendal 1961 1S would be another sub to consider in terms of on-baords EQ but it is more expensive than an SB1000.

Ultrasonic

Forget subs and placement, Neumann kh,310 is the answer

And yet people use them with subwoofers ;). A combination I'd very much like to demo in my home actually...

HooStat

To get to the OPs original question -- KEF's Blades are essentially an LS50 Meta and subs. It isn't the same -- the Blade tries to do what the Genelec One's do, which is to put the acoustic center of the bass drivers in the same place as the coaxial driver. But for the money, the LS50 Meta and some sub(s) placed to the best of your ability seems to be quite a good option.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of subs...a bit of an alternate take.

I just decided to sell mine.

I know there is the mantra that every speaker, be it a stand mount or floor standing model, benefits from subwoofers. I'm not saying I disagree with that in principle, so long as one goes to enough trouble to get things just right. But there are various factors at play in terms of personality, ergonomics, aesthetics, and how much one is willing to put in to the project.

Personally, I did not find that my speakers (Thiel 2.7 floor standers) benefited enough from subs for me to keep my subs.

Having been lured to the promise of subwoofers by the mantra "every speaker will sound better" quite a while back I bought 2 JL Audio 110E subs, an excellent JL Audio CR-1 crossover and a Dspeaker Anti-mode for some room correction. Did I go as far in my efforts and trials as many other subwoofer-heads have gone? Hell no. I've seen the endless subwoofer threads in many forums, especially AVSforum, and it continues to astound me just how much time and effort some of these guys have put in to subwoofers. I mean, even when not DIYing their own giant subs, it can be months and months of fiddling and "almost there..."

I didn't go perfectionist-route. But I did my subcrawls, my dual sub placement, I used a great crossover, had DSP for bass nodes. And frankly no matter where I crossed the subs over I never had any "aha" moment where it just obviously sounded better. The CR-1 crossover has an audition button that, once you've dialed in the subs, you can press and it takes them out and plays your speakers full range.

So I had a long time to play with that, constantly comparing subs vs without, at various crossover points etc. The first thing is: they were great subs, and the CR-1 was a superb crossover device, making dialing in a subwoofer probably as easy as possible. And I got the subs dialed in surprisingly well integrated. I was very impressed.

However: Playing orchestral spectaculars I listened for "less strain" from the speakers (crossed over between 60 - 80 Hz). Nope. Deeper soundstage and better imaging? Eh...not really.

More even bass? Well...yes...occasionally, here and there. Addition of deeper bass? Again...it was amazingly rare to hear any contribution in that regard. Punchier and more realistic? No: actually I found my speakers sounded punchier and more realistic without the subwoofers. E.g. kick drums had that "punch the air towards me" force that became muted with the subs on.

Overall I found that the subs didn't add much to the presentation, and ended up subtly altering the tonality of the system in a way I didn't like.
Maybe it was the psycho-acoustical effect of adding some lower bass, but it sounded a bit less "airy, real and alive" in the upper midrange to the highs, less like live music to me. In fact even when I auditioned one of my favorite beautifully recorded soundtracks (Jason And The Argonauts) where there is a passage employing just giant tympani drums doing a foot-step beat, they sounded just as "big" and deep on the Thiels without the subs, but also seemed to have more punch and aliveness in the drum hits, and the tone seemed more realistic. I could more easily feel like I was hearing live tympani drums in real space.

So...I've yanked it all out of my system and feel this big sense of relief. A real Marie Kondo moment of de-cluttering.

Two subs cure CAN be a bigger hassle than one sub, depending on the room you have to work with. It meant yet more electrical cords, extension cords, more cable runs, more dials to fiddle, more sub placement etc. Frankly I didn't find the second sub helped much vs a single sub (I started out with a single sub).

I could understand someone hearing my set up and preferring with the subs in the system. Depends on what criteria an individual is attendant to and cares about in the sound.

And the one thing sure to be going through the mind of every subwoofer-fan reading this is "Well, clearly you just didn't get the subs dialed in perfectly!" Which, if true, is part of the point. If you are damned picky, as I am and many people are, it's a real rabbit hole of complexity to go down, and I went as far as I was willing to go. After that...too much hassle, too much additional tech and complexity. Not to mention I find subwoofers a true eye-sore and I'm very glad to see them leave my room.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having been lured to the promise of subwoofers by the mantra "every speaker will sound better" quite a while back I bought 2 JL Audio 110E subs
More even bass? Well...yes...occasionally, here and there. Addition of deeper bass? Again...it was amazingly rare to hear any contribution in that regard.
Those subs don't extend very low: they are -10 dB by 18 Hz. It is likely you would have had a different experience with truly low-tuned subs from Rythmik, JTR, PSA, etc. That has been my personal experience. In fact, I can change the tuning of my subs and hear a clear difference. Even cutting below 20-25 Hz with a rumble filter, music is less fulfilling. Low bass extension is preferred by a majority of people.

This is also content-dependent.
Punchier and more realistic? No: actually I found my speakers sounded punchier and more realistic without the subwoofers. E.g. kick drums had that "punch the air towards me" force that became muted with the subs on.
This is a complex subject, but the first thing I would suggest is that because your speakers suffer from an uneven bass response, it is very likely you have grown accustomed to some peaks that exaggerate those areas. However, in other rooms you could suffer the opposite effect, where acoustical interference sucks the life out of your kick drums.

Two subs cure CAN be a bigger hassle than one sub, depending on the room you have to work with. It meant yet more electrical cords, extension cords, more cable runs, more dials to fiddle, more sub placement etc. Frankly I didn't find the second sub helped much vs a single sub (I started out with a single sub).
In my experience it has been much easier to get great bass with two subs than one. Of course modern EQ systems take a lot of the work out of it, as long as you put in the work to place them where they can perform their best.

Last edited:

NeoZs99

And yet people use them with subwoofers ;). A combination I'd very much like to demo in my home actually...
Most probably because of the kh750's active dsp.. slightly overkill for the budget though I'm sure everyone will tell you it's worth it lol

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is only worth the effort when there is one listening position to optimize for, but usually multiple subs are used to optimize for a wide spaces or multiple seats. whatever point of reference you use in space or time you're measuring, you're optimizing the phase in that spot only.

However if someone buys me a Dirac live bass control license where the 'average phase' is calculated at the crossover frequency for all the seats (it's quite cool, check Erin's review with the Dirac employee) then i would likely change my mind. but right now it's too much effort to optimize the phase for multiple seats, and the point behind multiple subs is to optimize the response for multiple seats.
Multi-Sub Optimizer (MSO).

With that said, I don't like the idea of having only good bass over a wide area when I can get great bass for just me. Due to that, I would likely maintain 2 EQ profiles and switch when I have guests over. In fact I plan on doing this when it becomes feasible for me.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're planning on adding more subwoofers in the future then going sealed subwoofers (the SB, instead of the PB) is an excellent choice indeed, while ported subwoofers provide more output, the output is 'slower' sort of speaking.
Having gone from sealed to vented myself, I don't agree. I think this is an old wives tale based on inferior sub designs with a healthy dose of psychoacoustics sprinkled on top.

I'd agree that I think a key strength of using multiple subs is to give a move even response over multiple seats. Any approach will be able to give better results over a smaller region that a larger one though. As @Eternals' focus was music I was taking it that single seat optimisation was the priority but perhaps they could clarify?
Indeed I got a 2nd sub to improve the response at my single seat.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Currently using my beloved (but aging gracefully) RTL3 speakers with Hegel h120. Room is 4m x 6.5m x 2.4m tall.
I listened to my kit at the shop with my preferred tracks to acclimate my ears to my setup in another room. Then all things unchanged, it tried a number of other speakers up to £2000 ($2800}. I utterley and completely loved the LS50 Meta's, BUT, it really felt like something was missing in the lower end. Not looking specifically for thunder everywhere, just that extra range to go with that beautiful and detailed experience.

Any views on speakers that can match or beat the LS50 meta's for the detail, precision etc., or, am I better looking at adding a sub to pair with the LS50 meta's? I'll be very grateful for views and experiences with your own comparisons.

A loudspeakers weekness is one parameter you can look at.
Regarding the ls50 meta , the weak points are between 20-200 Hz , and without a HP crossover you get modulation effects from the bass, modulating the tweeter. The bass in ls50 meta is also acting as a variable waveguide for the tweeter if you play bass and treble ( ie music ) at the same time. This happens when you play loud.

This can be solved by crossing the uni-q unit at 200 Hz , wich is to high for a single subwoofer.

As a nearfield monitor with less spl the ls50 meta should work much better.

Edit: There is competition from a couple of brands. I would compare with Genelec 8030c, 8330 and Revel m105.
There is a big technical advantage with active loudspeakers below the EMK area, in the bass.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

@MattHooper my main thought reading your post is to wonder if you measured anything to see what was actually going on? I don't think subs are necessarilty for everyone by the way but do generally encourage people to at least try them. The true value of subwoofers comes with a bit of extra work/complexity though, as you alluded to.

As an aside I'll add that personally the CR-1 seems monstrously overpriced for it's limited capability compared to DSP based solutions, but I know it will appeal to those determined to keep things in the analogue domain.

Top Bottom