• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Roon makes the conversion PCM48 to DSD with a change in the base frequency from 48 to 44.1kHz. This is not very good for sound, especially for spatial information.
Quotation needed? Pretty strong claim that Roon would make such a "terrible" mistake. You realise how many people use Roon? These all ignore that terrible spatial information?

Or just maybe it's a fantasy? :oops:

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I hope this is a more rational question. Not that it really bothers me, but I wonder why my E30 always displays 48khz as the sample rate when hooked up to my Acer Aspire 5 laptop.

Do you have the right drivers installed? I'm using a MiniDSP nanoDigi to stream to mine, and it's showing 96kHz. Tried it with Windows, and could adjust the bitrate and it would show the correct rate.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I hope this is a more rational question. Not that it really bothers me, but I wonder why my E30 always displays 48khz as the sample rate when hooked up to my Acer Aspire 5 laptop. I've got my Apple Lossless files, ripped from CDs, that I play through the E30, also play Amazon music and a lot of YouTube. I am using the APO eq all the time for the Drop 6XX. Not that I'm complaining about the sound [and CDs played on my Sony Blu-Ray display 44.1 and sound the same as the rips], but I figure some sort of re-sampling is going on.
Check the topping control panel. If it stays at 48khz,change it to 44.1khz and see if that helps.

ShinMolina

Following a standard and supporting some formats not specified on that same standard are two very different things.

AKM may offer some methods to play DSD 48 kHz based content, but that doesn't mean it's the usual way that DSD developers intended.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Do you have the right drivers installed? I'm using a MiniDSP nanoDigi to stream to mine, and it's showing 96kHz. Tried it with Windows, and could adjust the bitrate and it would show the correct rate.
Thanks. Found the controls, now the sample rate is 384.0khz and I guess I'll just have to learn to live with that:cool:

threni

Major Contributor
Has anyone used E30 on linux, does it work well?
Yep. Works fine with moOde 7.3 or just the underlying mpd (which moOde uses) by itself, on a Raspberry Pi 3&4. Also fine from my Pixel 4a phone and a Ryzen 7 Kubuntu desktop.

Reactions: Vix

threni

Major Contributor
I will also add that this improves the sound space, the near and back fields, and the localization of the instruments.
No matter DOP or Native, the conversion of 48 to 44.1kHz spoils the sound.
Of course, to hear this, it is important to have high-level audio components.
As well as a vivid imagination.

Aldoszx

Works perfect. Using with a laptop running Fedora and a RPI 4 with picoreplayer
Also with Ropieee, DietPi, Debian, Ubuntu, Armbian and all Linux flavors I've been tested so far !
All my DACs are driven by Linux based streamers.

proud

Quotation needed? Pretty strong claim that Roon would make such a "terrible" mistake. You realise how many people use Roon? These all ignore that terrible spatial information?

Or just maybe it's a fantasy? :oops:
Your irony is like a blank shot. Roon just gives a choice for everyone. Easy and elegant.....
hq.PNG

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope this is a more rational question. Not that it really bothers me, but I wonder why my E30 always displays 48khz as the sample rate when hooked up to my Acer Aspire 5 laptop. I've got my Apple Lossless files, ripped from CDs, that I play through the E30, also play Amazon music and a lot of YouTube. I am using the APO eq all the time for the Drop 6XX. Not that I'm complaining about the sound [and CDs played on my Sony Blu-Ray display 44.1 and sound the same as the rips], but I figure some sort of re-sampling is going on.
I believe Amazon Music defaults to the highest rate supported by your DAC, but could be mistaken.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I believe Amazon Music defaults to the highest rate supported by your DAC, but could be mistaken.
Yes, it does. I'm getting dropouts, but I was getting anomalies with Amazon Music before anyway. I'll check YouTube, that always seems to work smoothly. Everything coming off of I-Tunes is smooth as silk. Upsampling Redbook doesn't bother me at all, so I'm enjoying the placebo effect while I still can.;)

Moosi

I'm using HQplayer with Roon now. Was quite a hassle to get it working, but Im streaming/upsampling with poly-sinc-mqa-mp / AMSDM7 512+fs / DSD256 now and it sounds absolutly fantastic. Smooth as silk and superbly detailed. The E30 could never achieve this on its own, I believe no DAC can. My old CPU (I5 4670k@4,2Ghz) is at about 30% with this. If I up it to DSD512 I'm at 70% CPU, so I think I got my sweepspot. If I close my eyes the wall right before me (between the speakers) turns into a tunnel to where the echoes of the tunes fade into. The feeling of space and pinpointing of instruments&voices within that space the poly-sinc-mqa-mp filter does with AMSDM7 512+fs modulator on my Kef LS50 Meta speakers is just insane. I believe it gets even more "3D" and tunnel-like with DSD512 but right now the processing power needed is not worth it in my opinion. Maybe a new Ryzen CPU can do this without breaking a sweat. I'd really love to see some benchmarks. Finally I got a "casus belli" to upgrade my PC.

Haven't set up anything specific about that 48khz problem (if it exists). But I suppose HQplayer will take care of it on its own.

edit: "DSD5v2 256+fs" turns out to be a notch sharper @DSD256 compared to "AMSDM7 512+fs" which is supposedly better @DSD512. Will stick with it now.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
I'm using HQplayer with Roon now. Was quite a hassle to get it working, but Im streaming/upsampling with poly-sinc-mqa-mp / AMSDM7 512+fs / DSD256 now and it sounds absolutly fantastic. Smooth as silk and superbly detailed. The E30 could never achieve this on its own, I believe no DAC can. My old CPU (I5 4670k@4,2Ghz) is at about 30% with this. If I up it to DSD512 I'm at 70% CPU, so I think I got my sweepspot. If I close my eyes the wall right before me (between the speakers) turns into a tunnel to where the echoes of the tunes fade into. The feeling of space and pinpointing of instruments&voices within that space the poly-sinc-mqa-mp filter does with AMSDM7 512+fs modulator on my Kef LS50 Meta speakers is just insane. I believe it gets even more "3D" and tunnel-like with DSD512 but right now the processing power needed is not worth it in my opinion. Maybe a new Ryzen CPU can do this without breaking a sweat. I'd really love to see some benchmarks. Finally I got a "casus belli" to upgrade my PC.

Haven't set up anything specific about that 48khz problem (if it exists). But I suppose HQplayer will take care of it on its own.

Yes, perhaps by upgrading to a PC with a faster CPU you'll be able to achieve a better, more silky smooth echo tunnel in fewer clock cycles.

proud

HQPlayer4 has taken care of this for a long time! It is important that the DAC supports this.
These are my settings for working with SMSL Sanskrit 10 MK2. If I had a direct DSD mode, then I would be happy with everything. The microchip AK4493 has a wonderful sound...

hqp.PNG

For those who are not in the subject and do not use software upscaling: the 44.1 kHz format with these settings is converted correctly to 22.5792 MHz, and 48 kHz to 24.576 MHz. Everything is done automatically and very clearly

Last edited:

Moosi

HQPlayer4 has taken care of this for a long time! It is important that the DAC supports this.
Well, as I understand it the Topping E30 does not support it. Hence I would have to uncheck that box (48k DSD) and choose "41k x256" right? Or would I have to have (48k DSD) unchecked and "48k x256 +adaptive output checked"?

proud

Well, as I understand it the Topping E30 does not support it. Hence I would have to uncheck that box (48k DSD) and choose "41k x256" right? Or would I have to have (48k DSD) unchecked and "48k x256 +adaptive output checked"?
Of course, check it out. My settings are correct and work with any format automatically. Do exactly as in my screenshot. You can only change to lighter filters and modulators, my computer is quite powerful.

giordy

These are my settings for working with SMSL Sanskrit 10 MK2. If I had a direct DSD mode, then I would be happy with everything. The microchip AK4493 has a wonderful sound...

View attachment 148361

For those who are not in the subject and do not use software upscaling: the 44.1 kHz format with these settings is converted correctly to 22.5792 MHz, and 48 kHz to 24.576 MHz. Everything is done automatically and very clearly

I see that you have not set (as often recommended by the designer) the -3db on the max volume....

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-08-19 alle 18.42.01.png
    Schermata 2021-08-19 alle 18.42.01.png
    129 KB · Views: 116
Top Bottom