• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400i Review 2020 Revision (Headphone)

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks.

@amirm Was there a suspicion that they changed the headphones or drivers in some way?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Was there a suspicion that they changed the headphones or drivers in some way?
The drivers are the same but I think the pad is changed or something. I am terrible in keeping track of such things. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for linking the video. It ultimately is about agricultural solutions. We may have to start growing food in cities, all of us whatever we can.
I watched that Cuba video. It's eye opening for sure. I grew up on a family farm so I understand small scale agriculture and recycling all the various resources that come about. But I hate agriculture... I don't want to have to do that. :D

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 9kHz peak is still there it seems and bass is still a bit light (at least from Harman curve perspective)
Very small differences in the 1-5kHz range due to the pad change.
Good distortion numbers.
102.5dB/V @ 425Hz is fairly decent. Requires 8V to reach 120dB SPL (= 1.3W in 46 ohm) for impressive loudness.
Slightly less sensitive than HD650.
As usual for Hifiman excellent channel matching, even at this price point.

Merkurio

Great to see the newest revisions of the favorite classics being reviewed! :)

Hope you have the chance to measure the new HE400se too.

DavidMcRoy

I have a pair of these and that 9kHz peak has always bothered me more than anything. (Until now, I didn’t know exactly where it was nor its level nor its Q. I’ll try some equalization beyond just rolling-off the highs, which helps.)

alek19000

I had a pair of these , then I had a pair of HD600,
I think they make HE400i to a sound signature like hd600, in which the 2k or 5k have a dip, try to make the soundstage of a Concert Hall , and female voice very far away.
but not very successful, the female voice too far and thin. the Symphony doesn't play so well. HD 600 has a kind of echoes which he400i doesn't have
After EQ (which is Amir's old version he400i), the soundstage collapse, and the female voice came close but still very thin.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure there are far worse headphones you could spend $170 on, good gateway into the hobby.

I do wonder why these and/or the Drop 4XX variant are sometimes touted as giant killers though. I see nothing here to suggest either exceptional FR , distortion or channel matching which gets mentioned.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What?!? Yet another headphone review? Surely we're getting close to an exhaustive survey of headphones.

For yet even still more headphone reviews, (currently 615), check out Rtings Headphone reviews, (no affiliation). Rtings has a different reviewing approach but it includes objective testing.

Let's give Amir a break by stopping sending him endless headphone for review. Personally I hate headphone listening and am a pains to avoid it -- hands up people who feel the same way.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What?!? Yet another headphone review? Surely we're getting close to an exhaustive survey of headphones.

For yet even still more headphone reviews, (currently 615), check out Rtings Headphone reviews, (no affiliation). Rtings has a different reviewing approach but it includes objective testing.

Let's give Amir a break by stopping sending him endless headphone for review. Personally I hate headphone listening and am a pains to avoid it -- hands up people who feel the same way.
As opposed to endless dacs that sound (essentially) the same? What should he review?

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As opposed to endless dacs that sound (essentially) the same? What should he review?
Well since you ask ... I'd like to see more amps, preamps, integrateds, AVRs, and (yet even more) speakers but more floorstanders, planars, and horns and maybe fewer studio monitors. Agree about DACs and headphone amps (obviously): I've had my fill.

OK, I acknowledge the logistic issues of getting such items to him for testing, (e.g. Avantgarde Trio XD's with a Basshorn XD).

header-trio.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well since you ask ... I'd like to see more amps, preamps, integrateds, AVRs, and (yet even more) speakers but more floorstanders, planars, and horns and maybe fewer studio monitors. Agree about DACs and headphone amps (obviously): I've had my fill.

OK, I acknowledge the logistic issues of getting such items to him for testing, (e.g. Avantgarde Trio XD's with a Basshorn XD).

header-trio.jpg
I suspect he would also rather be reviewing the same but the reality is little boxes get to him and can be tested easier than very big very heavy very expensive boxes

Kegemusha

If people want to see a somewhat relevant and also somewhat hopeful documentary watch How Cuba Survived Peak Oil. You should be able to find it on YouTube. Might be some important lessons there for all of us. I am a huge proponent of urban agriculture, and in particular, green roofs.

You can also take a look on how the little buddist Kingdom of Bhutan survives also, 85% of the crops are organic there. Bhutan is called the 3rd Pole for all glaciar they have. Sadly the climate changes will catch with them at some point.
It is very worrying the people (governments because some persons cant do much) can not listen to science, the scenario has been described 30 years ago already.
The book from Octavia Butler (Parable of the Sower from 93 I think it is ) is like a prophecy seeing all climate changes now.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
The Republicans now acknowledge the problem of climate change. Their response is gtfo.

peniku8

Forum Donor
Yes but it is a very cumbersome process so I rather not do it unless I have to. :)

I think that would be important to better compare headphones. Some have a severe shortfall in bass, which makes their distortion look better than it actually is. I, and most others here, won't ever listen to their headphones without EQ, so the un-eq'd distortion plots don't mean much, if our listening experience will be completely different anyways.
Would be really nice to see it, even if it's just one graph at say 104db. Maybe you could do it for every headphone that deviates from the preference curve by more than ±3db overall?

Top Bottom