• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS MICRO 3000 First Impressions

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SVS MICRO 3000 not to be confused with SB-3000

I received this sub this morning and was instantly impressed with finish and outward build quality. I would imagine the target audience for this sub folks with small spaces and bookshelf speakers which is not the case for me. What was important is can I hide this so the Mrs won't do the "WTF is that!" Okay so far only one small comment for her.

I've owned a few subs over the years and frankly I wasn't interested in another one until I saw this. It has an app. I don't have to crawl around on the ground to tweak it. BIG plus. It's really small another BIG plus.

The first turn on was a bit of a surprise. The defaults are not even close to what I use but again probably the small space & bookshelf setup it might be close. Instead of having to dive to the floor pull the sub out and turn down the volume I opened the app, turned down the volume, and instantly went to the low pass filter and cranked it down to 60Hz as a starting point. From there tweaking volume and placement was easy. I also made a custom preset for myself.

I won't go into long descriptions so the Readers Digest version is. This sub is loud, clean, very adjustable, and even at high volumes it doesn't dance on the floor. Touching in when its pumping out bass is a surprise. Vibration is minimal.

Size and cost were big factor for me. This sub fit the bill on both accounts.

Cheers,
Peter

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
congrats! ... can you say the room size and SPL that you normally use?
to have a reference, that sub can be my next buy :)

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Yes I'm really enjoying it's small footprint. Room size approx 14' X 26'. SPL. Being stuck at home with the Mrs has reduced my loud bouts a bit 85db+-. I really need to say though I get a lot more enjoyment at lower to low levels from my system as I can bump the sub a touch to compensate. If you're in Canada DM me and I can give you a link to the deal I got.
Cheers,
Peter

mike70

Hi,
Yes I'm really enjoying it's small footprint. Room size approx 14' X 26'. SPL. Being stuck at home with the Mrs has reduced my loud bouts a bit 85db+-. I really need to say though I get a lot more enjoyment at lower to low levels from my system as I can bump the sub a touch to compensate. If you're in Canada DM me and I can give you a link to the deal I got.
Cheers,
Peter

Thanks Peter, you're very kind, but i live in South America :) ... it's my intention to buy a SVS sub in a trip to USA that i'll do shortly.
The size / weight of the SVS micro is great to airlines requirements, but i was wondering if that little boy has muscles.
In other way i'll take the SB-1000, but you give me hope.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How sensitive is the auto-on, stay turned on? I often listen at low volume and I don't like when I have to turn up the volume to get the sub to turn on, or worse when it turns itself off when I'm listening at these low levels.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Peter, you're very kind, but i live in South America :) ... it's my intention to buy a SVS sub in a trip to USA that i'll do shortly.
The size / weight of the SVS micro is great to airlines requirements, but i was wondering if that little boy has muscles.
In other way I'll take the SB-1000, but you give me hope.

Like I said in first impressions. This little guy is loud and clean. I have the low pass set between 55Hz - 60Hz and the volume -15db - -20db. I really try to blend as to not get a bass distraction. In my opinion most subs just don't sound good if you need to set low pass from 70Hz to 100Hz. Unscientific I know but to each their own.
Cheers,
Peter

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How sensitive is the auto-on, stay turned on? I often listen at low volume and I don't like when I have to turn up the volume to get the sub to turn on, or worse when it turns itself off when I'm listening at these low levels.
I've had no issues with that and I listen a lot at low levels these days. You can also use the remote connector if you are using a AV unit.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had no issues with that and I listen a lot at low levels these days. You can also use the remote connector if you are using a AV unit.
Excellent. I would put it on a power switch anyway so I can turn it off completely (I do the same for each of my M2200 that I would use with these). But still I like autosense since I often fall asleep listening at night!

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Followup

I've been using this sub daily now for almost 2 weeks. I thought it was time enough for a second impression post.

I like this little monster very much. I have now had lots of opportunity to listen at all levels and genre's of music.

I have a coaster on top of it so putting a drink there even at high levels does not pose a problem (photo attached).

We all know when we first add a sub to a system the tendency is to listen to bass louder than, well normal. But real life listening happens shortly thereafter.

Unless I'm listening at low levels the volume is around -20db then it may go up to -10. I've been trimming the low pass filter as well. I know this is system based but my setting tend to run 50hz and down to 40hz depending on volume and music.

I now have a sub that I can hear but I can't locate with my eyes closed. The blend is wonderful for those that want to extend but not over power a room.

I would not advise this sub for folks looking for huge bass in a larger room. But for bass extension particularly at lower levels this is a nice addon.

Lastly I've had no more stink eye from the Mrs. She seems to be enjoying a bit of a bass boost as well.

Attachments

• 2021-08-11 18.39.40.JPG
    2021-08-11 18.39.40.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 1,560

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What crossover do you use, please (frequency, slopes)?

Edit: From Stereophile review:
"There is no speaker-level input, nor is there an active, high-pass–filtered crossover output for rolling off the main speakers. " ??!

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What crossover do you use, please (frequency, slopes)?

Edit: From Stereophile review:
"There is no speaker-level input, nor is there an active, high-pass–filtered crossover output for rolling off the main speakers. " ??!

I don't. I contacted SVS and this is what they said.

"At one time all SVS subwoofers had a high pass on the line level outputs. Based on almost two decades of customer feedback, this feature was almost never used, and also requires some DSP which is something audiophiles eschewed. So it was dropped as a feature in our subwoofers and we have no plans to reintroduce it.

The best way to integrate a subwoofer into a 2 channel system is to run the speakers on full-range and then low pass the subwoofer at the natural roll-off of the speakers. If the speakers are sealed use a 12 dB/octave slope on the LPF and if they are ported use a 24 dB/octave slope.

Adding a HPF to the speakers will create integration problems with the subwoofer, because the speaker will initially track the slope of the HPF, and then it will start to roll-off naturally and the resulting slopes will be additive. This will create phase asymmetry with the subwoofer on the low pass side.

If you truly need to high pass the speakers, then I recommend looking at the passive line level Harrison Labs FMOD or a mini-DSP 2x4 HD."

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't. I contacted SVS and this is what they said.

"At one time all SVS subwoofers had a high pass on the line level outputs. Based on almost two decades of customer feedback, this feature was almost never used, and also requires some DSP which is something audiophiles eschewed. So it was dropped as a feature in our subwoofers and we have no plans to reintroduce it.

The best way to integrate a subwoofer into a 2 channel system is to run the speakers on full-range and then low pass the subwoofer at the natural roll-off of the speakers. If the speakers are sealed use a 12 dB/octave slope on the LPF and if they are ported use a 24 dB/octave slope.

Adding a HPF to the speakers will create integration problems with the subwoofer, because the speaker will initially track the slope of the HPF, and then it will start to roll-off naturally and the resulting slopes will be additive. This will create phase asymmetry with the subwoofer on the low pass side.

If you truly need to high pass the speakers, then I recommend looking at the passive line level Harrison Labs FMOD or a mini-DSP 2x4 HD."
Very valuable information, thank you!

But it is sad that they dropped the HP filter. I have heard excellent results with subs crossed at 70Hz with 96db/octave FIR slopes. It relieves the main from playing the bass frequencies they can't play properly.
Yes, miniDSP is an option...

As for the "natural slope" of the Genelec 8030C:
25Hz is at 42dB on Amir's graph
50Hz is at 78dB
so the slope is 36dB/octave, and not the 24dB/oct SVS talked about.

1630073904452.png

For Aria 906, it is a 18dB/octave slope...

As for audiophile disliking EQ! Lol, Amir is correcting every other speaker and pair of headphones. And what is room correction, if not EQ?

Last edited:

LightninBoy

That is a valid way to integrate a sub, but there are too many variables to call it the best way. Kind of a disappointing response from SVS, IMO.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 12 db slope is what I use. But my system is not flat like the "Genelec 8030C" :)

mike70

... and ... as always ... any manufacturer says "the best way" talking about what they do (aka what they can do, thinking in price tag / design / factory possibilities / marketing)

It's part of the game ... but, as consumers we must understand what we really need. I think the 3 opponents in little subs and their "best way" are:
- REL t7x with high level input
-SVS 3000 micro with DSP
-Kef kc62 with high pass integration

Which one is the good answer in which context? The rollercoaster begins :)

rcstevensonaz

REL thinks the same way as SVS
Yea, that was my reaction as well; which surprised me since I thought most people were not in agreement with REL on that.

However, there does seem to be one key difference: REL wants you to send over the high-level speaker signal, running the wire in parallel from Front and Left speaker jacks. By contrast, most SVS subs now seem to only take line-level input.

mike70

Yea, that was my reaction as well; which surprised me since I thought most people were not in agreement with REL on that.

However, there does seem to be one key difference: REL wants you to send over the high-level speaker signal, running the wire in parallel from Front and Left speaker jacks. By contrast, most SVS subs now seem to only take line-level input.

They have the phase setting.

escott82

Running speakers full range and trying to integrate a sub with that without a mic is almost impossible. You’ll create a big null where the speakers roll off be it in the 40-60 range. You’d really need a minidsp to cut the subs correctly and with the correct phase to align them together. Most people can’t notice integration with subs by ear it seems. My friend runs his towers full range and has his sub running up to 120hz and thinks it sounds good. I Told him I’d measure it for him and show him how bad he thinks what sounds good looks like but he doesn’t want to try it.

Top Bottom