• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

noiseangel

The only way to settle this is for @amirm to get the DAC back with new Sunlight installed and measure it again. Just like i said in my first post. That will settle this compile runtime difference BS once and for all.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only way to settle this is for @amirm to get the DAC back with new Sunlight installed and measure it again. Just like i said in my first post. That will settle this compile runtime difference BS once and for all.

Definitely optimistic.

This is a$6000 DAC with 75.5 SINAD designed by Dr. Irwin Corey's brother, claiming recompile changes the DAC sound that is validated by some guy in the park eating an apple. :facepalm:

- Rich

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Definitely optimistic.

This is a$6000 DAC with 75.5 SINAD designed by Dr. Irwin Corey's brother, claiming recompile changes the DAC sound that is validated by some guy in the park eating an apple. :facepalm:

- Rich

It's a poor design if re-compiles are actually affecting the sound and performance. Something about different clock domains never transitioning at the same time which sounds like potential issues with meta-stability in this design.

cheers

despoiler

It's a poor design if re-compiles are actually affecting the sound and performance. Something about different clock domains never transitioning at the same time which sounds like potential issues with meta-stability in this design.

cheers

Maybe they are leaning on MQA to recover the timing and phase. /s I'm really curious how this new code measures. A bit of a possibility it measures worse than before.

Also, it occurred to me that Ted might just be the snake oil salesman for snake oil salesmen. Paul & son seem fully caught in the their own rabbit hole.

mansr

Major Contributor
Right. The compiler will (unless it is buggy) output a valid solution for the input, even if it is not always the same one. If the behaviour changes, it means some constraint is under-specified, giving the compiler too much room to vary things. This is analogous to how poorly written software sometimes breaks when compiled with optimisation turned on.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

cheers

I suppose there could be a clock issue from a DAC that converts PCM to DSD.
Timing issues are not a good design. If I were willing to spend kilo-bucks on a DAC it would be for a DAC that approaches perfection.

- Rich

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
its only job is to lift veils. i mean look at the name: "sunlight". before this software update there was darkness from a veil. now...

Music1969

Major Contributor
It is possible, that PS Audio has decided that regular firmware updates energizes the base.

Not 'possible' - it's in the marketing (see the "will never become obsolete" comment highlighted):

1620367901429.png

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

TurbulentCalm

At a previous PS Audio product review meeting for the PerfectWave DirectStream DAC:

Paul: Well how did the test results turn out?

Engineer: No good boss! Way too many problems to allow us to sell this to our customers. Seriously, we’d do better to rip out all the internals and replace them with an Apple Dongle DAC.

Paul: Nonsense! All we have to do is name it something like the FaultlessRipple DirectStream DAC and sell it for over $5K. That should convince those dumb wannabe audiophiles that it must be perfect and we’ll also get rave reviews as a side benefit because no one with the skills to truely test it, will be able to afford to buy it.

Engineer: Wow Boss! Pure genius! No wonder you run our company.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've run across recent commentary about what audibly changed between the 2 versions of firmware. The summary?

"A Big Home Run"

cablebrain 4 days ago
"Go to 9:03 to hear only about Windom vs Sunlight firmware."

A L 4 days ago
"Thanks for this video. Really enjoyed it. I have the Directstream and I think that Sunlight sounds great. Adds a thick, rich, mid-bass along with a more detailed top end. I’ve listened for hours and although I haven’t gone back and forth with Windom, I definitely think I like it more than Windom."

D Richard 5 days ago
"Probably depends on your system, but Sunlight is too forward in your face. Watching tv, the voices seemed forced, a lot less imaging and soundstage. Powered by a P12 power plant, with my Directstream dac Jr. and Windom, I have a pure black background with a superb 3D soundstage and very detailed but smooth. With Sunlight, it's not brighter, it keeps the nice analog tone, but seemed forced forward, switched back to Windom that same day. A nice achievement from PS Audio to evolve the sound from these DAC's, but Sunlight won't be for everyone, but at least we get to choose."

PS Audio Direct Stream DAC "Windom vs Sunlight" - YouTube

PS Audio Direct Stream DAC Windom Sunlight Search - I don't see any other YouTube coverage on the new firmware...

Enjoy :cool: - Sunlight Peak/Windom Peak (7/20/11) - Windom Summit 360 Panorama 14082 ft.

PS Audio Releases Sunlight Firmware Upgrade PerfectWave DirectStream DAC and DirectStream Jr. - The Absolute Sound

Sunlight: Sound Impressions - Audio Components / DACs - PS Audio

As I've said before, $6000 is way too much money to spend on a DAC.

If PS Audio wants to wow us all, then build the Direct Stream DAC 2 for 1/4 the MSRP, while providing better performance. :p

Last edited:

WRWSTD

Any chance of another ASR measurement of the PerfectWave DirectStream DAC with the new Sunlight update? Inquiring minds want to know.:)
With all the supposed depth, detail and audibly lowered noise floor, what are folks really hearing? Could the width and depth "improvement" be just some odd phase anomalies or distortions that can play brain tricks?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Any chance of another ASR measurement of the PerfectWave DirectStream DAC with the new Sunlight update? Inquiring minds want to know.:)
With all the supposed depth, detail and audibly lowered noise floor, what are folks really hearing? Could the width and depth "improvement" be just some odd phase anomalies or distortions that can play brain tricks?
More than likely figments of vivid imaginations created by marketing induced listening bias.
Like every new component release there are always claims of "huge" improvements.
If only 1/4 were true over the last 3 or 4 decades, when you played your HiFi today, like a starship holodeck, the performers would magically appear in the room playing the real instruments for you. ;)

WRWSTD

With all due respect to those on this forum, it seems that judging from past measurements there were a few flaws. And I suppose we could postulate on what is happening.
For instance on post 526, it shows high noise levels where the least significant bits lay for full Redbook resolution.
But, it would be interesting to get some concrete evidence of any changes made with Sunlight.
It could then substantiate what people are saying. After all, this is a science forum.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With all due respect to those on this forum, it seems that judging from past measurements there were a few flaws. And I suppose we could postulate on what is happening.
For instance on post 526, it shows high noise levels where the least significant bits lay for full Redbook resolution.
But, it would be interesting to get some concrete evidence of any changes made with Sunlight.
It could then substantiate what people are saying. After all, this is a science forum.
The company could, of course, provide measurements for us all to see.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't you think the most likely scenario would be simply moving its performance from poor to mediocre or maybe good?
Excellent DACs don't cost a lot so why not just buy a good one instead?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I have some bunch of such measurements now. And over time will collect more.

And no, SINAD + TIM doesn't yet define the sound either. It is still just scratching the surface, just twice as much compared to SINAD alone.

Is the 30+ multi tone test more stressful on D to A, than TIM ?

Top Bottom