• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beware of Certain 8k Receivers for Gaming

DACslut

Just saw this statement in a recent Cnet article:

"It turns out that the initial crop of 8K receivers from Denon, Yamaha and Marantz were manufactured using a chipset that's incompatible with 4K/120Hz and VRR. When a user connects a device using VRR at more than 4K/60Hz, the receiver refuses to pass the signal. The screen is simply blank and high-end gamers who bought the new receivers are understandably annoyed."

Full article link:
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-ente...hands-on-why-gamers-should-still-wait-to-buy/

beeface

it seems like a dire time to be in the market for an AV receiver tbh.

boselover61

it seems like a dire time to be in the market for an AV receiver tbh.
Panasonic make these chips for all receiver companies and they refuse to fix this for almost a year now for no reasons. Costco pulled the 8k receiver from Yamaha from their site after a lot of customer complaints

beeface

Panasonic make these chips for all receiver companies and they refuse to fix this for almost a year now for no reasons. Costco pulled the 8k receiver from Yamaha from their site after a lot of customer complaints

It isn't just the HDMI 2.1 stuff, based on the reviews here it seems like just about every affordable receiver underperforms in terms of audio.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Would one not run HDMI direct to the TV/monitor that supports VRR and use eARC to send the audio out?

AVR's have had video display problems since they first came out with HDMI... this clearly hasn't ever changed. Maybe audio companies should stay out of video.

JSmith

beeface

Would one not run HDMI direct to the TV/monitor that supports VRR and use eARC to send the audio out?

AVR's have had video display problems since they first came out with HDMI... this clearly hasn't ever changed. Maybe audio companies should stay out of video.

JSmith
When I looked into eARC a while back it seemed to me that it was fraught with its own issues, often due to poor implementation by TV manufacturers. It may have improved since then, but it seems like it's all a bit of a mess tbh.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do we think this will be resolved by the time Denon releases its next crop of 8k receivers? I'm in the market for an AVR/Processor (I have plenty of amplification) and don't feel like dealing with any crap when I finally pull the trigger. Should 2022 models be ok?

If not, what are the issues with eARC referenced above?

Top Bottom