• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening at Night vs. Day

mcdonalk

Some audio enthusiasts say that their systems sound better at night than during the day. My stereo system sounds better during the day than it does at night.

I almost exclusively listen to my system at night. On occasion when I have listened to it during the day, I thought that it seemed to sound just a little better than it did at night. A little smoother and spacious. If I accepted that this consistent experience wasn’t my imagination, then perhaps my ears were more “rested” and less “fatigued” during the day than at the end of a long day.

Several weeks ago, a friend dropped by during the day to hear my system for the first time. I had been telling him about Shostakovich’s Ninth Symphony and its uncharacteristic cheerfulness for a Shostakovich symphony (and a striking contrast with his eighth, for sure!). So, I played for him a recording of that symphony, which I often listen to at night, and it brought tears to my eyes! For the first time! What phenomenon was this?

Several days ago, I was listening to my system around 10pm, and on this particular night, it sounded to me like it did during the day. I think that I have a possible explanation.

My house has a solar panel system with a battery storage system. Typically, the panels start producing electricity at around 8am. When the panels produce more power than I use, the excess goes to charge up the batteries. When the batteries are charged to 100%, the excess is sent to the grid for credit. Typically, the batteries reach 100% charge around noon. After the sun starts to descend, household power is sourced from the batteries, until the batteries are drained to a 50% reserve that is maintained for grid outages. (The 50% reserve is programmable; it would just as easily be set to 90% or 10%.)

So, on a typical sunny day, the system provides for home power for almost all of my “on peak” hours. During the summer, the system may provide all my power from 8AM to 7PM, after which power comes from the grid. In the non-summer months, the solar system will l provide power until midnight or later, because the air conditioner, the greatest sink of power, is not operating.

The solar panels provide DC current to an inverter, which provide AC current to the house. Similarly, the battery units (of which there are two) have integral inverters that deliver AC current to the house.

I have come to believe that my stereo sounds better when it is being powered from the house inverters than it does when it is being powered from the grid. On the night mentioned above, a summer anomaly occurred. A rainstorm kept outside temperatures very low for this time of year, and the air conditioner ran very little, allowing the battery reserve to power the house into the night, whereas on the previous and following hot days, power was sourced from the grid at this time of night.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What audio amplifier(s) are you using?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we are being fooled again here
It's possible, I hope not although I was thinking the system mains voltage might be different for night and day. It probably is. If the amp is a linear power supply type then that would have higher or lower output power dependant on the AC mains voltage during the day or night.

Another Bob

Forum Donor
This is something that is very difficult to prove/disprove because you can't do blind A/B testing of day vs. night listening. The evidence (see Amir's recent reviews) indicates, however, that the quality of the electrical feed does not matter in most cases - i.e. with typical modern components. Other differences in day vs. night listening, such as levels of ambient acoustic noise and the listener's mood would probably far outweigh any effects of changes in the power.

Sombreuil

Couldn't it just be that you're (probably) more focused at night than during the day?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the quality of the electrical feed does not matter in most cases - i.e. with typical modern components.
I agree although if the peak voltage of the AC mains is reduced it will affect the amplifier total power output. The user has a fair amount of electronics in his solar system and the inverter might be outputting higher or lower voltage than the power company. It could be splitting hairs like you say.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I agree although if the peak voltage of the AC mains is reduced it will affect the amplifier total power output. The user has a fair amount of electronics in his solar system and the inverter might be outputting higher or lower voltage than the power company. It could be splitting hairs like you say.

A 20% drop in mains voltage reduces the max power by less than 3db. If the OP is using that much power he needs a higher power amp.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
This is something that is very difficult to prove/disprove because you can't do blind A/B testing of day vs. night listening. The evidence (see Amir's recent reviews) indicates, however, that the quality of the electrical feed does not matter in most cases - i.e. with typical modern components. Other differences in day vs. night listening, such as levels of ambient acoustic noise and the listener's mood would probably far outweigh any effects of changes in the power.

Details on the inverter would help. Is it pure sine? It might be cleaner, and some audiphool amps have terrible PSRR.
Scope the different AC. Than scope the rails of the power amp with different AC. Than FFT the amp out.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Vague subjective experiences are only so fascinating....that said I've generally when living in big city with mucho noise difference between day/night indeed preferred a night time session....where I am now where there's little difference not so much altho am a night owl and just think generally I prefer late night for much of everything....

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Some audio enthusiasts say that their systems sound better at night than during the day. My stereo system sounds better during the day than it does at night.

I almost exclusively listen to my system at night. On occasion when I have listened to it during the day, I thought that it seemed to sound just a little better than it did at night. A little smoother and spacious. If I accepted that this consistent experience wasn’t my imagination, then perhaps my ears were more “rested” and less “fatigued” during the day than at the end of a long day.

Several weeks ago, a friend dropped by during the day to hear my system for the first time. I had been telling him about Shostakovich’s Ninth Symphony and its uncharacteristic cheerfulness for a Shostakovich symphony (and a striking contrast with his eighth, for sure!). So, I played for him a recording of that symphony, which I often listen to at night, and it brought tears to my eyes! For the first time! What phenomenon was this?

Several days ago, I was listening to my system around 10pm, and on this particular night, it sounded to me like it did during the day. I think that I have a possible explanation.

My house has a solar panel system with a battery storage system. Typically, the panels start producing electricity at around 8am. When the panels produce more power than I use, the excess goes to charge up the batteries. When the batteries are charged to 100%, the excess is sent to the grid for credit. Typically, the batteries reach 100% charge around noon. After the sun starts to descend, household power is sourced from the batteries, until the batteries are drained to a 50% reserve that is maintained for grid outages. (The 50% reserve is programmable; it would just as easily be set to 90% or 10%.)

So, on a typical sunny day, the system provides for home power for almost all of my “on peak” hours. During the summer, the system may provide all my power from 8AM to 7PM, after which power comes from the grid. In the non-summer months, the solar system will l provide power until midnight or later, because the air conditioner, the greatest sink of power, is not operating.

The solar panels provide DC current to an inverter, which provide AC current to the house. Similarly, the battery units (of which there are two) have integral inverters that deliver AC current to the house.

I have come to believe that my stereo sounds better when it is being powered from the house inverters than it does when it is being powered from the grid. On the night mentioned above, a summer anomaly occurred. A rainstorm kept outside temperatures very low for this time of year, and the air conditioner ran very little, allowing the battery reserve to power the house into the night, whereas on the previous and following hot days, power was sourced from the grid at this time of night.

Your electronic gears with their power supply reformats the electric power to eliminate all noises.
Find in your audiophile beliefs why you have this feeling.

"brought tears to my eyes!" happens for me with my kh420 or my bluetooth speaker.... depending of my emotional state and my relaxation.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ac-distortion-noise-on-audio-equipment.25501/

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the OP listens at lower SPL in the night then Fletcher Munson explains why SQ is better during the day.

Top Bottom